Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying Hi - I have had my Maltese for 3 weeks now, she is 3 months old and doing well.

Happy is strictly indoors and trained to a box with weewee pads wit hstill the occasional accident.

My question now is how to train them to sit, come, stay, paw (shake) and other things. How do you go about basic training, we have been working on sit for a few days now and using toys and treats for lures but I don't think she has it yet. When she does and want to change commands, I am thinking she will get confused and want to sit for the treat/toy. Any advice??

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
welcome happy's MOM

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hi Happy and Mom! Welcome! You have got a real cutie pie there!

Training: Give it some time Happy will come around.... If she is anything like my Tiki it will take a while
.... Once she has sit down well you can add another trick, but continue with the sit command.

Judi

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Hi,

What a cutie
I taught by Peechie sit, paw, lay down and roll over. I kept practicing for about 10 mins. a day. I kept rewarding her with treats. She finally got after about 3 days. Just keep trying every day. Make it very short each time. Good luck

Peechie's Mom - Karen

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congratulations!

Traing is easy all you need are some treats to get her to do whatever you want. Just saying Good Girl or Boy goes a long way.... Maltese are very eager to learn, all they want to do is make you happy.......

Sit... Put the treat right above her nose and tell her to sit she will sit..
Down... Put the treat on the Floor and tell her to lay down....
Stay.... After you get her to sit, tell her to stay and start walking away. If she moves tell her again to stay untill she get the hint....
Up, hold the treat up in the air and tell her up.........

Good Luck!

·
Registered
226 Posts
welcome to spoiled maltese!
you baby is so cute. i am going through the same thing with tessa right now, she is 3.5 months old and she can barely sit. she is starting puppy classes in a month. good luck with your training!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Welcome, that photo pf happy is one of the cutest malt photos I have ever seen
. For training make sure you have a treat she is really crazy about, these guys are kinda picky about food so sometimes its hard to find somethign they really love.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Hi from Massimo and me,

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
what a cutie! glad to have you here

as for the training, we found lucy a trainer.. did NOT trust ourselves to do it LOL.

good luck w/ training! make sure you post lots and lots and TELL ALL YOUR MALTESE LOVING FRIENDS!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
btw this person wrote this msg feb 2004
not that there is anything wrong with welcoming her

1 - 16 of 16 Posts