Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:Hello everyone I am Shelly and new to this room. I currently own a 15 month old ACA registered Maltese. and I am looking to buy him a wife.. we live in Largo Fl. our little man's name is rags, (there is a sad story behind his name) this is a picture of our Maltese (rags) and then there is our Jack russell(Spike)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ty I am glad i joined Now maybe I will find some more useful information on here than I have on the other sites I joined!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseMaMa@Jan 2 2005, 10:31 AM
ty I am glad i joined Now maybe I will find some more useful information on here than I have on the other sites I joined!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26863
[/QUOTE]

There's lots of good info here. If there is a subject you are interested in, try the "Search" at the top of the page and you can see if the topic has been covered....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ty for the warm welcome... its great that there is a place out there for the Maltese owners.... What are the rules of this chat room? like are we aloud to post for breeding purposes? just wondering I don't want to cross the lines anywhere....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.. One more question..

Is it better to feed your dogs Homemade food instead of store bought? right now my dog eats gravey train. he has tear stains badly!!(which we are working on) and was wondering if It was better to feed homemade....

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
feeding homemade is a lot of work...you have to make sure it is completely balanced and run blood work on your pup yearly to make sure everything is in check. there are a lot of better foods out there compared to the one you are feeding...i'm sure everyone will tell you the ones that they like.

oh and welcome to SM you will love it here....cant wait to see some pictures

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseMaMa@Jan 2 2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks.. One more question..

Is it better to feed your dogs Homemade food instead of store bought? right now my dog eats gravey train. he has tear stains badly!!(which we are working on) and was wondering if It was better to feed homemade....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26889
[/QUOTE]

Personally, I feel that you have to be very careful with homemade food. You have to do a lot of research, so you can make sure your dog is getting all needed nutrients. Yes, this can be done, but if you do it, just be very careful to make sure you're doing it right!

MalteseMaMa, I suggest that you quit using Gravy Train and switch to a premium food. It has dyes in it, which contribute to tear stains and it has BHA/BHT and other ingredients that are not the best for your baby. There are quite a few threads on the forum which discuss dog food....

Here are the ingredients of Gravy Train below. Notice that corn and soybean meal are the first two ingredients. You need to find a food with beef, chicken, etc. as the first ingredient. Corn is often an allergin for dogs and your best bet is a food without corn. Notice that it is preserved with BHA and also is full of dyes and has added salt. Also below the Gravy Train ingredients I've noted the ingredients for Innova, which is an excellent premium food... notice the huge difference in the quality of the ingredients.....

Gravy Train: Corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, animal fat, animal digest, salt, cellulose gum, caramel color, potassium chloride, bone phosphate, choline chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement), dried beef stock, red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 2, BHA (preservative), tocopherols (preservative), citric acid (preservative).

Innova Puppy Kibble: Turkey, chicken, chicken meal, ground barley, ground brown rice, cottage cheese, tomatoes, hemp oil, chicken fat, flaxseed, potatoes, herring, apples, carrots, alfalfa sprouts, egg, garlic, prebiotics, probiotics (Streptococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, and Lactobacillus plantarum), vitamins and minerals.

IMHO I think if you switch to a premium food you will see the difference in your dog!

Edit: Oops, I just noticed that your baby is over a year so he doesn't need puppy food any more... Innova makes an adult food also and the ingredients are just about the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the info.. I am gonna buy some of that food right now..Rags is a finkey eater.. I hope he likes it......

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseMaMa@Jan 2 2005, 01:52 PM
thanks for the info.. I am gonna buy some of that food right now..Rags is a finkey eater.. I hope he likes it......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26900
[/QUOTE]

Great! Be careful when switching... do it over a period of a week or so, depending on how sensitive his stomach is. Start by mixing in a little of the new food ... and then add a little more of the new each day until he's weaned to the new food. It may take trying a few brands to see what he likes.

Kallie loves the Newman's Own Organics brand. I forgot to mention it because I was thinking your baby was younger. Here are its ingredients: http://www.newmansownorganics.com/pet/home/

Newman's Own Organics Adult Dog Kibble:Chicken, Organic Barley, Organic Rice, Organic Milo, Organic Oats, Organic Ground Flax Seed, Chicken Meal, Organic Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Naturally Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary), Organic Carrots, Organic Potatoes, Calcium Phosphate, Sea Salt, Potassium Chloride, Kelp, Parsley, Dehydrated Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Zinc), Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Iron), Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Manganese), Copper Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Copper), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Ascorbate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (Source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Iodide, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts