Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a maltese-mix named Fluffy. She will be 2 in December.

And I have not been a very good mom to her. :sorry:

When Fluffy was a few months old, I tried to go to puppy school with her and she was so terrified that she wouldn't take any treats, even people food, or do anything but shake in fear. The trainer recommended anxiety medication! However, Fluffy is completely happy inside the house, she just really hates going anywhere. She hates collars/harnesses (hide and tremble reaction for hours from the sight of them.) So I did not go for the medication.

But where I really turned in to a bad mom is when I fell in love with a man from Australia. Fluffy was 8 months old when I left to Australia for the first time to spend time with this man. I was living with my parents and their dogs so my parents agreed to take care of Fluffy while I was out of the country.

I returned to Fluffy and the U.S. in late December, I had missed Fluffy's first birthday by a week! I was working hard on immigration paperwork and to finish my A.A. degree. In May, I left Fluffy again because of immigration. However, we have received the governments permission to marry and will be returning to Fluffy and the U.S. at the end of Jan!

So, basically, Fluffy has a lot of fear problems (and because she's not getting enough exercise she barks excessively and tries to dig out an Olympic size swimming pool) and I have missed out on over half of her life but I swear that as soon as I get home, I will be the very best doggy-mom!
And thankfully, once my fiance and I return to the U.S. we won't have to make anymore international trips. :happy dance:

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Welcome :) This place is filled with good info
You found one of the best maltese forum in the world wide web. I say that Fluffy will need tones of training once you return to her. You will find some good threads here. Good that you joined ;) You can Check the "Training" section of the forum. you can take a look around for some good readings.
All the best!

Kat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Kat!
Tons and tons and tons and ten times more training will be in Fluffy's future! And my future too, I'm sure Fluffy will put my future husband and me through the ringer. Lol.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Kat!
Tons and tons and tons and ten times more training will be in Fluffy's future! And my future too, I'm sure Fluffy will put my future husband and me through the ringer. Lol.
sounds like you have a busy plan already :chili: but trust me, it is part of the fun and a way to build a special bond with little Fluffy:wub: I am guess that is her in your avater picture? awwh so adorable!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Hello and welcome. I hope when you finally get settled Fluffy can start to calm down...and find happiness.

I happen to have a little knucklehead yorkie who I rescued as an adult from a puppy mill. I've had him for just about 4 years now.....he is still scared to death of anyone except me. The boy has many mental "issues" but he's happy in his own little world. .....just hoping fluffy isn't as bad as Tink :thumbsup:

Actually the rescue group only let the puppy mill dogs go to homes that already had small dogs living in them....so they could see how a dog actually acts. It has helped, but he's still my sweet little knucklehead. :wub:

oh, and congratulations!

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Welcome, and congratulations on your engagement. I also have a very fearful dog. She was a rescue. It's takes a lot of time and patience, but with proper training, you dog can become more sociable. I got some great information from a dog behaviorist. He evaluated my Cassie, and gave me several protocols to use to help her overcome her fears. Cassie will never be the friendly outgoing dog I would like for her to be, but she certainly has come a long way.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Welcome and congratulations!!!! Your at the right place, there is a wealth of knowlege here. Looking forward to hearing how your Fluffy does. Can't wait to see more pic.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Welcome to SM! And of course, congratulations on your future wedding! (how exciting!!!).

I am so glad that your parents were there to care for Fluffy! I know it will be along hard road getting fluffy trained, but it sounds like you and your fiance are very motivated. I do hope you can find a good trainer to help as I know how difficult it can be when you have questions about their behavior and no answers.

Fluffy is so sweet looking!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
:Welcome 4: Welcome to you and Fluffy and congrats on your upcoming marriage. There are lots of helpful threads here on dog behavior so I hope they'll help. I think they're a lot like little kids, they need routines that they can count on and hopefully when you're back here and all together that's what will make Fluffy feel better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts