Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just had to post today (finally) after seeing the book discussion thread. What an awesome idea.

I do not currently own a maltese, I am very saddened to say. Less than two weeks ago I put my precious angel, Holli to sleep after 14 wonderful years. I miss her terribly, and cry every single day (even this second) over her. I wanted to post and get familiar with it here before I bring another home, and I need lots of help. That and I wanted to leave Holli's mark here as well. Her picture is in my profile but I havent looked at how to get it in the corner by my name yet...

I have started looking for a puppy so I've read alot here. I have not had the greatest luck but then again I am impatient and also pretty particular. My boyfriend wants me to get on with it because both of us are just so "out of whack" without our little girl, but I am trying to do the right thing.

Anyway its great to see some old faces and lots of new ones. I'm looking forward to chit chatting away here.

Janet

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone so much! You all have such cutie babies! It’s so fun being here. Today I went in my stash of photos that I happened to have at work and put some up, giggling to myself. It’s nice to be able to smile about her again!

The brand name no hush part to this site is exactly what I was looking for. Sometimes you just HAVE to know, where did you get those shoes!?!

I am in PA, Pittsburgh area. I have found that all the breeders that I really like their “look” are in Texas, Louisiana and Florida. Now, I don’t mind a road trip now and again, but it would be great if I found someone closer who had something sooner and it was one of those I’ve grown to like. I may end up driving that far though. I am way afraid of the whole shipping little baby thing. You know, I am a bag of nerves when I call these breeders for some reason, so it’s taking some time.

A couple of boaters here I see! Well I don’t know what specifically you might have questions on but I will tell you we never had any trouble. I think it just comes to you once you are out there you see what works. We went places we could dock and go potty in the grass (and sometimes we would have accidents if we couldn’t wait)! But that’s what hoses and soap are for. We have pontoon boats so they are like floating rooms, which is a plus I think, and we go on a lake or we also have one on the river. I don’t have ocean experience. One thing I would say if you could get them used to the water it might give you peace of mind (or in my case, fear of water worked ok too). Maybe introducing them slowly each time once they are used to the boat. Holli never liked being in the water so I didn’t force her. I took her in a few times, holding her, but she just wanted back on the boat. It’s so hard with the hair anyway, if they want to stay dry – I say that’s better for mommy. We always kept a VERY close eye on her and she was like glue to me so she’d not leave my sight anyway.

Actually the one time we found out she could swim, and I feel terrible about this, we weren’t even on our lake but at a friend's and she decided to mosey off the edge of the dock. She actually launched herself! Of course my heart was caught in my throat but we grabbed her asap and she was swimming! I do not recommend learning that way.

This got long didn’t it? Sorry!

janet

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am looking at all of these breeders and have talked to some, but how does anyone know what they are getting without actually seeing them? Most places are a 4+ hour drive for me which would be great, except no one just has a handful of female puppies running around for me to see. The only reason I planned on going to those other breeders is that I can see tons and tons of photos of the parents, see example pup photos, show photos, and know their reputation (well as good as you can know one) for breeding healthy puppies. It guess it doesnt feel right to me just knowing someone has a good reputation and saying I will take one, without seeing for myself. Is there a better way to go about that, or am I being unreasonable? One breeder actually said they never send photos. Of course I am a bit cynical, so I think that he guesses that once I hold a puppy I won't want to leave without it, or if I drive that far I wont want to leave without one. You guys can say if you think I'm nuts. I think this
should be my perma-signature.

thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.