Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, Connie arrived home last Saturday after a 2 hr drive sitting on her new Mum's lap. She is 11 weeks old today and looking very cute. In the first 6 days we have managed to train her to go potty on a puppy potty tray 90% of the time, which is amazing!!!!! She has a childs play pen with her bed, potty, food, water, and play space in but the bars were 2 inches apart and she just walked through the gaps :HistericalSmiley:so we have sorted that out. She is doing well, she currently sleeps in a box in the bedroom, but will gradually sleep in her proper bed in her play pen.

I have been reading lots of threads and its a great site and community you have here.

The only issue we have, and its a normal one is tear staining. We have special eye wipes and use them at least once if not twice a day but that isnt working. So we have tried cotton balls with saline and that seems to make them worse.

Any idea what we are doing wrong???? Forgot to say she is on same food as breader was using.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
:Welcome 4:

Tear staining is common with these dogs, but there are things you can do to help. I've learned to feed Rocky high quality, organic food. I also have learned to keep his face as clean as possible and dry well. Teething will make it worse, but after a year it seemed to get better.

Your fluff is adorable and looks like you are doing a great job! Congrats!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your speedy reply. A couple of questions if I may? She is on the same food as the breader was feeding her (Royal Canin mini Junior) but when we collected her she didn't have any staining. As far as I know our tap water actually comes from the same source as the breaders.

I couldn't seem to find any guide on exactly how to clean her face. Is it best to use warm water and cotton balls then dry with a new cotton ball or is there some other method? How well can you dry her little face?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to do our best for our little one.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,777 Posts
Hi Pete, and welcome to SM! My Bonnie had terrible tearstaining as a pup, but grew out of them. Her vet recommended waiting to treat until she was a year old and completely finished teething. He gave her Tylan powder to sprinkle on her food and I used it for two weeks, and her staining never came back. I think Tylan is now found in products such as Angel Eyes, but until she's done teething I wouldn't suggest using it. Just wipe her eyes for now and give her a big hug from New York!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Your puppy is still teething and will be until 6 months so just keep the face as clean and dry as you can and the eyes free of debris. You can use a mild eye wash (human grade is fine) twice a day. Teething causes eye stain in puppies that age. Welcome to SM!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
That's good food. Be careful with treats. I don't give many but when I do I give him Natural Balance for small breed bisquits. He may be too young for those now though.

I use Spa Lavish facial scrub www.tropiclean.net don't remember where I got it, can google and find it, it lasts a long time because you just use a small amount. Maybe Amazon sells it? I might have got it from there.
It is supposed to help remove tear staining. I don't know if it does, but he loves the scent and doesn't mind his face washed when I use it. Wet face with warm water on washcloth. I put a little Spa lavish on a baby toothbrush and wet it and brush gently down away from the eyes. Then rinse using warm water and washcloth. Keep rinsing out washcloth till you feel it is all out, you can rinse toothbrush and brush again. (You can also use baby shampoo, no tear formula.) Dry as much as you can gently with a clean soft washcloth, baby wash cloths work great because they are thin and easy to handle. Or I blow dry him from a distance, not too close, low setting, just downward on beard. He loves the blow dryer. It soothes him. :wub:

Do this once a day, gently talking to her and soothing her, so she realizes it's a good experience. Don't fret too much about the stains. I wouldn't give her any products claiming they remove stains. Even just using warm water for now is fine. We almost all go through this with our fluffs. As long as you keep the face free of dirt, you are doing your job.:aktion033:

Thanks for your speedy reply. A couple of questions if I may? She is on the same food as the breader was feeding her (Royal Canin mini Junior) but when we collected her she didn't have any staining. As far as I know our tap water actually comes from the same source as the breaders.

I couldn't seem to find any guide on exactly how to clean her face. Is it best to use warm water and cotton balls then dry with a new cotton ball or is there some other method? How well can you dry her little face?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to do our best for our little one.
Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much for all your advice and reassurance. We are cleaning her face and finding it a bit difficult. We are nervous and she isn't really used to it I don't think. The scariest thing is the small round nose scissors to trim some of the hairs round her eyes. It's so worrying holding them so close to her eyes.
Any tips to hold her and trim the hairs would be very handy.

Thanks very much for your help, this is a great forum. I was worried that you guys wouldn't be very helpful to some English guy but how wrong I was. This has got to be one of the most helpful communities there is. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Do a little bit each day till she gets used to it. I wouldn't cut around her eyes..she's so little.

Thanks very much for all your advice and reassurance. We are cleaning her face and finding it a bit difficult. We are nervous and she isn't really used to it I don't think. The scariest thing is the small round nose scissors to trim some of the hairs round her eyes. It's so worrying holding them so close to her eyes.
Any tips to hold her and trim the hairs would be very handy.

Thanks very much for your help, this is a great forum. I was worried that you guys wouldn't be very helpful to some English guy but how wrong I was. This has got to be one of the most helpful communities there is. Thanks very much.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Just to say he is not as bad as most others I have seen. Sometimes I think it's from the move from liter to new home and stress.

Hello, Connie arrived home last Saturday after a 2 hr drive sitting on her new Mum's lap. She is 11 weeks old today and looking very cute. In the first 6 days we have managed to train her to go potty on a puppy potty tray 90% of the time, which is amazing!!!!! She has a childs play pen with her bed, potty, food, water, and play space in but the bars were 2 inches apart and she just walked through the gaps :HistericalSmiley:so we have sorted that out. She is doing well, she currently sleeps in a box in the bedroom, but will gradually sleep in her proper bed in her play pen.

I have been reading lots of threads and its a great site and community you have here.

The only issue we have, and its a normal one is tear staining. We have special eye wipes and use them at least once if not twice a day but that isnt working. So we have tried cotton balls with saline and that seems to make them worse.

Any idea what we are doing wrong???? Forgot to say she is on same food as breader was using.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
:Welcome 4:What a sweet baby she is. :Cute Malt:
I would just bath as normal with a pup and not worry too much about the tears. I read we can make them worse so I'm sure someone will post something you can do. I bought the IRIS PEN online and it's the most useful thing I got for a puppy. You can put a liner on floor (non chewable materials). I still use for many purposes. I have attached some pics from puppy to now how I'm blocking the door area we are working on. You will love this site.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Welcome Pete. Connie is just adorable. :wub::wub:I'm happy you're finding SM helpful. It helped me beyond belief. I wanted to say that when I read that Connie came home on her mum's lap I wanted to remind you of something. Recently our community lost his dear Maltese, Leah, in an auto accident so for future look into keeping her in a plastic hard carrier belted in or else get a car seat or harness for her to keep her safe. Can't wait to see more pictures.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks, very much for all your advice.
Snowbody: It was a special occasion. We wouldn't normally transport her in the car without some sort of restraint. We have here little bed to put on the back seat with the seat belt to hold it.

Not a great photo, she looks sad. But it was shortly after she had first got home.

·
Registered
86 Posts
HI and welcome!
As someone mentioned - Spa Lavish really makes a difference. I bought it on Amazon for $10 and the bottle lasts a long time. It is tearless so it does not sting the eyes. I use it every other day.

Be careful with the eye wipes - when I first got my dog I also wanted to use those because it seemed so convenient; BUT - some of them are not safe around the eyes. My groomer said eye wipes are typically for dogs with longer muzzles; using them on a maltese is not safe because the solution (or the vapors) may get into their eyes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sunnycleveland: cheers, only place I can find Spa Lavish Facial Scrub in UK is ebay. After quite a few recommendations I will get some.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
What a cute bed...she looks so comfy in it too.

Thanks, very much for all your advice.
Snowbody: It was a special occasion. We wouldn't normally transport her in the car without some sort of restraint. We have here little bed to put on the back seat with the seat belt to hold it.

Not a great photo, she looks sad. But it was shortly after she had first got home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts