Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My name is Susan. I'm from Dallas, TX. About 2 years ago my 9 year old daughter became highly interested in dog showing and particularly interested in Maltese. We are new to the breed, but have been doing our homework for the last year and a half or so. My family, actually my 12 year old son, has a Rottweiller right now. He's 10 years old, named Zues.

We finally found a precious Malt, "Baby", from a friend of my brothers who said that she was just more work than they had expected or were prepared for. We had her for about 2 weeks, when they called and said that they felt like they had made huge a mistake. They missed her dearly and would really like to have her back.

Although we had all become attached, I thought it best to let her go back. Baby was so happy to see them and you could tell by the look on her face when she saw them. My daughter was heartbroke but she agreed that it was ok to let her go back. We were all so sad to let Baby go, even Zues. he pouted for about as long as my daughter did.

Anyways, so now, here I am still learning and hoping to find new addition for our family soon.

I look forward to getting to know y'all.

Susan

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
My son recently graduated from SMU and I love Dallas. Welcome to the group. I waited approximately one year before I found Bijou and he was well worth the wait. There is so much to learn about this breed and you have found the perfect place for love, support and information.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
and
Susan, I am sure you will learn quite a lot from our wonderful and friendly site. I am sorry your little girl was heartbroken but what a truly wonderful girl for agreeing to let Baby go home. I am sure you will find another baby Malt to love and to be your very own soon.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Hi and

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome.

Giving Baby back was hard, but I was so proud of my daughter for doing it. I really think it was the right thing to do.

She did make me promise that the next one will be all hers and no one else will have any claim to her or him. Her only complaint with Baby was she didn;'t get to name her. She has already pickjed the name, Annabella if we get a girl and Byron if it's a boy. She really wants a girl. I really want a boy. We'll see. What's most important is that they are healthy.

Anyways, thanks for making me feel welcome.

Susan

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Welcome from San Antonio! One of my daughters lives in Frisco and I am up there several times a year. My other daughter lives in Boca Raton, FL and she is the one I got my Pico from. Her sister-in-law was going to breed her Maltese and promised my granddaughter pick of the litter if it was ok with her parents. Her parents said she would have to meet certain criteria for the 6 months prior to the expected whelping to prove she was able to maintain the responsibility of a dog.

She did as requested and she and her dad flew to Florida (they were living in Keller at the time) to pick up Pico and within 1 month of having him they were all overwhelmed. Two working parents, a pre-teen in competitive swimming and a 4 year old with Type 1 diabetes left no time to deal with a puppy.

Unbeknownst to me they had picked me to be Pico's new Mom. I was due to go up for a week-end visit and I just fell in love with him. When they told me I should take him home I balked because I didn't want the responsibility. I already had a senior Lab mix and my husband and I could never go anywhere together out of town because we would not board Gertie.

Long story short, I left Keller on that Monday with Pico in his crate and it's been a life of joy, love and laughter ever since. My husband and I both love him and get so much joy out of having him in our lives.

Since you already know how much work a puppy is and you will learn from SM how much is involved in day to day care of a Maltese, I hope you can find the special Maltese you are looking for. Beware of puppymills because there are many sellers of puppymill dogs in your area. Canton Days, flea markets and fairs as well as street corner sellers are to be ignored at all costs. Pico was a result of a well-intentioned but less than scientific breeding and he has Microvascular Dysplasia, a liver disease. His sister is deaf and his brother is so underweight his hip bones protrude. So read up on the breeding threads here and learn about DNA testing, shunt testing, etc. I had no clue about these things but would still have adopted Pico. I would do it differently if I got another Maltese but do not regret Pico in the least.

Welcome!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
WElcom...

I live about an hour and half north of Dallas just across the Tx/OK line...half an hour from Sherman in Durant.

Hope you enjoy sm...I to am waiting on a malt baby. I only will take a girl. So I am still waiting. Its been a long time lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts