Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My name is Laura. I don't have a Maltese yet, but I am enjoying this sight and learning a lot about the important process of finding the right Maltese. I'm hoping to rescue a young adult...so we'll see.

Laura

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Welcome! Where in KC do you live? My aunt lives in Lee's Summit. I live in the Des Moines area (about 3.5hrs North).

I've heard there is a Maltese Rescue in the KC area.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone!
Kristi - I live in Blue Springs. Lee's Summit is about five minutes from me! I've put my name in for one rescue that I found in Kansas. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Thanks everyone!
Kristi - I live in Blue Springs. Lee's Summit is about five minutes from me! I've put my name in for one rescue that I found in Kansas. Keep your fingers crossed.[/B]
There is a AMA breeder that lives in KC. You could contact her and see if she knows of rescues that are looking for a home. I know they sometimes have retired dogs looking for homes. Here is her info:

Shoemaker, Cheryl Dawn
Babydoll Maltese
Shawnee, KS 66216
913-962-9163

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Welcome to SM. I applaud everyone that comes here before they get their maltese. You are doing the right thing by doing your homework. I hope rescue will work out for you. Maybe someone here will have some info. You should check with the breeder that Kristi mentioned. I've always thought that a retired dog might be a nice way to start and we have some people here that have gone that route.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Welcome to SM. I applaud everyone that comes here before they get their maltese. You are doing the right thing by doing your homework. I hope rescue will work out for you. Maybe someone here will have some info. You should check with the breeder that Kristi mentioned. I've always thought that a retired dog might be a nice way to start and we have some people here that have gone that route.[/B]
Cheryl is really nice. When I was looking for a puppy last spring I was hoping to get a puppy from her. Her dogs are so cute. I have some pictures she sent me of one of her dogs. Sorry about the quality of the pictures, they were in a word document and when i put them in paint they got weird. I have the orginals at home. So I will try to replace these ones with the orginals tonight.

[attachment=1707:attachment]

[attachment=1708:attachment]

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hi everyone! My name is Laura. I don't have a Maltese yet, but I am enjoying this sight and learning a lot about the important process of finding the right Maltese. I'm hoping to rescue a young adult...so we'll see.

Laura[/B]
Welcome and good for you to rescue a little baby

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'd also contact Northcentral Maltese rescue if you are looking to adopt. They are nationwide and a fabulous group.

http://malteserescue.homestead.com/

Do be aware that the young adults get snapped up quickly so it's best to fill out an application and get pre-approved so when the perfect one for you comes into rescue, you will be considered.

I don't know what your situation is, but Maltese rescue groups usually don't approve people with small children, students, renters, people with no vet references (first time pet owners), anyone considered "high risk". If you fall into that group, there are other ways to adopt. Check your local newspaper regularly. You'd be surprised how many young adults are advertised, especially in the Spring. Local veterinarians are also a great source as they are often the first people someone contacts if they have to give up a pet.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Welcome to SM and you might notify the animal shelters in your area to let them know what you are looking for and they might be able to help you. I think that we all know that a pet for a Christmas present isn't a good idea but I'm sorry to say that too many people don't know this.
Good luck in your search.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts