Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Maltese/Bichon mix puppy but she looks just like a Maltese. We have named her Gabriela and call her Gaby for short. She is 9 weeks old and just the sweetest little puppy. I also have an Australian Sheperd who has fallen in love with her. It is like having a built in babysitter.

Our vet reccommended that that I train her to only go outside and she is doing well. Or at least I am well trained!! I put her in her crate when we go out or at night and she is able to go 5 or 6 hours before she needs to go out. She is doing very well for such a little puppy. I love her!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone had a problem with their puppy soiling their crate? Gaby has done it twice and it is a small crate. I carefully washed it out and we will try again.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Welcome! I also have a Maltese/Bichon,who is 2 yrs.He also got more of the Maltese traits than the Bichon.We would love to see pics. of your baby! As far as the pooing in the crate,I found with mine they pooed after they had eaten.So make sure you take them outside after eating,sometimes they would just pee,so I would know that in a few more min. Id best take them back outside to finish their jobs.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
WARM WELCOMES! Can't wait to see pictures!!!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Hi and Welcome!
As you can tell, we REALLY like to see pictures here!

-c

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Welcome. Maltese and Bichons are both great breeds. Hope your baby has the best of both breeds.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by debs0712@May 23 2005, 08:30 AM
I just got a Maltese/Bichon mix puppy but she looks just like a Maltese.  We have named her Gabriela and call her Gaby for short.  She is 9 weeks old and just the sweetest little puppy.  I also have an Australian Sheperd who has fallen in love with her.  It is like having a built in babysitter.

Our vet reccommended that that I train her to only go outside and she is doing well.  Or at least I am well trained!!  I put her in her crate when we go out or at night and she is able to go 5 or 6 hours before she needs to go out.  She is doing very well for such a little puppy.  I love her!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64408
[/QUOTE]
She is still very young. You need to get on a schedule. If you can take her out every 2-3 hours until she gets older. Before putting her in her crate take her outside to go potty. Do you leave food in the crate with her? Also does she have access to the entire crate? You should only start her out with just enough space to lay down. After a couple of weeks you can give her a little bit more space, working up to the whole crate. If you give her access to the whole crate right away she will make a potty area and a sleeping area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies! We always take her outside before she goes into the crate at around 9:30-10:00. My husband who stays up late then takes her outside again at 12:30-1:00. It is a small crate--about the size for a cat and we do not feed her in the crate. I cleaned it out very well today and hopefully I got rid of the smell and she will stop that habit. At 9 weeks she is young.

She is too sweet though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts