Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I’ve been lurking here for a few weeks, reading much about your incredibly adorable pups and pretty much anything else I could learn. This forum is so friendly and interesting and supportive, I can't wait to get to know you all more!

I’m in search of advice and guidance, and maybe you lovely folk can help me out. Basically, I have decided that I am ready for a small dog of my own.

About me: I’m a medical student at the University of Miami, Florida. I’m 23. I spend a lot of time studying in my apartment and taking walks around South Beach, and throughout the past ten months or so, I’ve been overcome by the small-dog-love culture that exists here. When I was growing up, my family always had cats (my dad wouldn’t let us get a dog), so I’ve got an ingrained preference toward cats already – but the culture here has been “converting” me to the beauty of a small dog! (Also, though I might have preferred a cat as a starter pet, my roommate is allergic to cats, which limits my options.) Basically-- I need a companion, a small and friendly dog that I can train to not yap incessantly, can be left alone sometimes while I go to class, but loves me. My long-term serious boyfriend lives five hours away, and will continue to be long-distance for several more years, and I get very lonely sometimes – I hope that my future furry little friend can help keep me company and distracted!

Through my months of internet research into breeds, and my own experiences with small dogs, I’ve decided that the Maltese is an ideal choice for a person like me. I don’t need anything like show quality for my pet, and I am actually considering a mixed breed (as long as the animal stays small, under ten pounds). One of my dear friends has a mixed Maltese/Pomeranian puppy, and it’s incredibly cute and friendly. Also, because I’m a student, I am limited to animals that are about $600 or less, which I know is a serious limitation! However, I actually would rather get a dog about a year old, instead of a puppy – which might help me pay less as well. I've looked at rescues, but they seem pretty "hit or miss" with how well the dog can recover from its past abuse or poor training. I could probably handle training a puppy, but not until August or so.

Is there anything I should be considering that I haven’t yet thought about? Getting a dog is a serious decision, basically just below getting married, buying a home, or having a child. I will not get one until I’ve done all my research and thought about everything thoroughly – but I would love your advice and guidance in looking for a breeder, looking at rescue dogs, deciding whether the Maltese is even a good choice for me… anything! Thank you in advance so much, for even bothering to read this long introduction… Cheers everyone!

Cindy
(And Yes, as soon as I have an option, I'll post pup pictures for you all!!)

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Cindy,

Welcome to the forum!!

I am also a medical student at Vanderbilt (in Nashville)!!! I did research this year (at UCLA), but next year is my 4th year and then I will be done (yeah
). I know exactly what you mean about wanting a little dog. My husband lives here in LA (for school reason) so I felt really lonely and wanted a companion. Miko (our little maltese) is now 2 yrs old. We love him to death, but I have to warn you that I feel guilty all the time that I don't spend enough time with him (with exception of this year). Have you done your clinical years (3 and 4th year)? You will be really pressed for time. The other issue is money. Although we only paid $900 for Miko, we have since paid for neutering, surgery for bilateral luxating patellas ($2400) and numerous urinalysis, blood works and etc. Even if you get an older dog, there is a possibility of it getting sick. I have tons of loans from Vanderbilt, so I figure what's a little more? But if you are on a budget, then it could really present a problem.

Maltese is a great breed (although I am probably biased). If you do get a puppy, be sure you research the breeders.

Feel free to pm me and ask any questions.

By the way, my parents live in Miami, Fl and I almost went to U of Miami for med school
. I was accepted but I was too worried my parents would come visit me every day.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Hello and
from Massimo and me!

-c

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi Cindy, the love of my life is a sales rep manager, which meens he is out of town too much and I have been bugging him for a dog for a year... I have a cat but the love that she give is on her terms. We are also saliors so I needed to get a small dog that I can lift on and off the boat and that will be comforatble living on a 40 foot sail boat. For months I looked into rescue agencies but could never find anything small enough, I really didn't want a 10 pound curly haired fluffy dog and that seemed to be the only dogs avalible, other than mini pinchers. On one of his trip he brought me a present... she was the cutest thing EVER!!! Jolie weighed in at 1.7 pounds and fit in my hand she was a bit nervous and shakie at first but the more you loved her the more comfy she got. I have had her for 4 months now and I'm thinking maltese are the best companion dogs, Jolie comes everywhere with me (even to my office downtown, she so cute and good they are happy to have her here). I seriously can't walk down the street without a dozen people stopping me to ask about Jolie, it makes it very hard if I'm in a rush. She is now 7 months and just under 4 pounds.... a perfect little girl ! I recommend getting a pure maltese, she is my best friend.The only thing is when you go to class your puppy will be sad the you are not there, they just love so much. Try to arraing with a friend to keep your pup while your in class the start leaving her/him alone for 10min. then 20min...ect. I hope you get one if you haven't already!! Good luck.

Meghann Conedera

Originally posted by cindysilver@May 17 2005, 07:23 PM
Hi everyone! 

I’ve been lurking here for a few weeks, reading much about your incredibly adorable pups and pretty much anything else I could learn.  This forum is so friendly and interesting and supportive, I can't wait to get to know you all more!

I’m in search of advice and guidance, and maybe you lovely folk can help me out.  Basically, I have decided that I am ready for a small dog of my own.

About me: I’m a medical student at the University of Miami, Florida.  I’m 23.  I spend a lot of time studying in my apartment and taking walks around South Beach, and throughout the past ten months or so, I’ve been overcome by the small-dog-love culture that exists here.  When I was growing up, my family always had cats (my dad wouldn’t let us get a dog), so I’ve got an ingrained preference toward cats already – but the culture here has been “converting” me to the beauty of a small dog!  (Also, though I might have preferred a cat as a starter pet, my roommate is allergic to cats, which limits my options.)  Basically-- I need a companion, a small and friendly dog that I can train to not yap incessantly, can be left alone sometimes while I go to class, but loves me.  My long-term serious boyfriend lives five hours away, and will continue to be long-distance for several more years, and I get very lonely sometimes – I hope that my future furry little friend can help keep me company and distracted!

Through my months of internet research into breeds, and my own experiences with small dogs, I’ve decided that the Maltese is an ideal choice for a person like me.  I don’t need anything like show quality for my pet, and I am actually considering a mixed breed (as long as the animal stays small, under ten pounds).  One of my dear friends has a mixed Maltese/Pomeranian puppy, and it’s incredibly cute and friendly.  Also, because I’m a student, I am limited to animals that are about $600 or less, which I know is a serious limitation!  However, I actually would rather get a dog about a year old, instead of a puppy – which might help me pay less as well.  I've looked at rescues, but they seem pretty "hit or miss" with how well the dog can recover from its past abuse or poor training.  I could probably handle training a puppy, but not until August or so.

Is there anything I should be considering that I haven’t yet thought about?  Getting a dog is a serious decision, basically just below getting married, buying a home, or having a child.  I will not get one until I’ve done all my research and thought about everything thoroughly – but I would love your advice and guidance in looking for a breeder, looking at rescue dogs, deciding whether the Maltese is even a good choice for me… anything!  Thank you in advance so much, for even bothering to read this long introduction… Cheers everyone!

Cindy
(And Yes, as soon as I have an option, I'll post pup pictures for you all!!)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63060
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Welcome! I think a Maltese would be a nice dog for you, but I would highly suggest that you look into a retired show dog. Also some breeders might have a female that has had a few litters that they are retiring. My daughter is beginning dental school this fall, but we got her a maltese last October so that the puppy would be trained, spayed, etc. before she starts to school. Sadie will be 1 in early July and I believe that she'll be OK during the day. Our daughter's condo is a mile from the dental school so some days she may be able to come home at lunch. Are you close enough to school to be able to go home at lunch? If not then I really think that a dog that is older than a puppy would be a great way to start. There are some good breeders in the southeast. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for welcoming me! :-D I am so happy to have found supportive pet owners like you all. I am interested in meeting some retired show dogs, and perhaps puppies, but only if they're not ready to come home with me for a few more months -- I just want to be sure I'm ready!

I do have the time to come home for lunch, and usually I only have class in the mornings, so I'm home all afternoon and evening -- ready to take care of my new pup!

Do Maltese tend to travel well in the car? I drive the 5 hours to Gainesville every few weeks, so my pup would have to tolerate long trips... hopefully!

Originally posted by puppylucy@May 18 2005, 06:49 PM
forgot to add what part of s florida are you in? i have relatives down in palm beach

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63343
[/QUOTE]

Puppylucy, I'm in Miami Beach, but I'm originally from Gainesville (that's where I grew up).

Anyway, back to studying for now -- let me know if you all know of any retired show dogs in FL I could go meet!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
cool~! im visiting miami beach with a friend like next week!

it depends on the pup when you're dealing with long car rides, but in general, if you get them used to it at the young age, they should be fine (provided you give them water breaks, potty breaks, etc)

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
welcome to SM..good luck with ur search. Im in Florida ATM also for a month (Tampa)

my malt loves car trips..he sleeps the whole way. start them out young and u shouldnt have a prob. get him a car seat u can strap him in. mine is a great study partner. Im a vet student who didnt have a lot of free time. Parker just sits by my side as i study. Hope u find the perfect companion!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Cindy, If you are only in class in the mornings, then you might have the time for a puppy. There are advantages to both the puppy and the older dog. Sounds like your schedule would fit in with either.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cindy, to the question if maltese travel well in cars?... Jolie is a traveling girl, so flew from Quebec to get to me then with in the first month we drove through the whole province of BC and the province of Alberta, TWICE, incase your not familer with canada that adds up to 6 days in the car. Through this all Jolie was awsome, she plays, poops and sleeps. And if they aresmall enough they love to sleep on you while you are driving. I hope you get one soon. If you feel like going for a LONG drive up to Quebec puppies are alot cheaper, in Vancouver, BC jolie would of been 1000$ in Quebec she was 350$ CANADIAN. big diff.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts