Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I'm new to Maltese pups and am totally in love with the breed! My little girl is a rescue, not really sure if she is full blood because her ears are high on her head like a yorkies', but the groomer said her fur is the exact texture of a maltese, so who knows. We don't really care, we love her just as she is.

My questions is... at what age does a maltese stop growing? I know with some dogs it is around 6 months, but some it's older. I want to get her a really nice harness, but she is only five months. If she is full grown at 6 months, then I will buy her one next month, but I don't want to get a really nice one if she is going to outgrow it.

I'll add picture of Lizzie as soon as I get my camera back from my niece.

Thanks so much,

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Hi and welcome to SM. :) Most maltese grow after six months. If your baby is a mix it is impossible to say how big she will get or exactly when she will stop growing. I'd hold off on the expensive leash for 6 months and go with the little harness vests. We have several vendors on SM that make them to fit.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I'll wait until she is over a year before buying anything expesive. I'll look into one of those little vests. I think I will like that better than having a collar and leash. I don't like pulling around her neck.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Welcome!!

Mine grew about one more pound from 7 months old to her first birthday..and filled out more with that one pound. We use a harness vest, which I like a lot -they work well for us.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I found a picture of Lizzie right after we got her. She was around 12 weeks old at the time. She is just so darn cute!!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
:Welcome 2: Hi Lizzie's mom! Happy you came here. My little one is 15 months old and he seemed to stop growing at about a year. Thank you so much for rescuing your little fluff. She's a real cutie. :wub::wub:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
welcome !!! glad u came to SM u willlove it here , lizzie is a cutie pie , god bless u for rescuing!

·
Premium Member
17,461 Posts
:Welcome 4:
We had a Texas rescue once--mix of maltese/bischon---great guy! I hope you enjoy this forum and that we can see photos soon! Kitzel sends licky-loves!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Adorable baby! I bought adjustable harnesses for mine, so they fit 3 mos til adulthood.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hi... I'm new to Maltese pups and am totally in love with the breed! My little girl is a rescue, not really sure if she is full blood because her ears are high on her head like a yorkies', but the groomer said her fur is the exact texture of a maltese, so who knows. We don't really care, we love her just as she is.

My questions is... at what age does a maltese stop growing? I know with some dogs it is around 6 months, but some it's older. I want to get her a really nice harness, but she is only five months. If she is full grown at 6 months, then I will buy her one next month, but I don't want to get a really nice one if she is going to outgrow it.

I'll add picture of Lizzie as soon as I get my camera back from my niece.

Thanks so much,
:Welcome 4:
Hi Lizzie's Mom and Welcome! Your little girl is beautiful. Hope you like it here...the women are wonderful. My little guy (almost 9 months) looks like he's stopped growing already. He's been five pounds for a few months now. He got taller and longer, but still is a little squirt. He still fits into a size XS. I got him a harness that is adjustable.

·
Registered
183 Posts
She's adorable! WELCOME TO SM! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts