Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My name is Elizabeth, and my newest buddy is Codi. He is 5.5 months old, I've had him since he was 10 weeks! I was told that he was supposed to be a minature, although I'm quite sure if that is the right term. Depending on which scale is used, he weighs between 3.2 - 4.2 pounds. He is my first toy breed, and has been incredibly enjoyable. :D

We live in Los Angeles, about a mile from the beach. I recently graduated from college, and figured that this summer would be a perfect time to train a dog, before I got too busy with work. We're planning to attend an obedience class within the next month because he hasn't quite learned to come when I call him. But he has easily learned Sit, Shake and Dance

He has a turquoise rhinestone collar with a matching leash. And surprisingly, no identity crisis! HA HA! I'm thinking about getting a little baseball jersy that I saw because I just saw pictures of other Malteses in clothes and thought they were adorable! (Which is surprising, since I didn't think I would like anything like that!!!)

About three weeks ago I took him to the groomer, and came back with a much shorter -haired puppy ... he was completely shaved! Which actually worked out for the best since we had a heat wave the next couple days and he seemed rather comfortable as the rest of us sweated sitting! :lol: Thankfully, his beautiful coat is starting to grow back in and he's looking like a Maltese again! LOL!

It's so fun to start to share with others about him! I just want to keep rambling! I am pretty new to this forum, and am looking forward to lots of helpful advice and learning from many of your experiences!

I must say that he has brought so much happiness to my life, and everyone at home LOVES him! My parents, who had previously refused my getting a puppy, have asked about him when they go on vacation before they ask about me! Considering how much the last 2 months have been, I definitely look forward to many years of more laughs and giggles! Especially now that the housetraining is going much better!!! :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Congrats on your new baby and welcome to SM! To answer your inquiry: The Maltese breed does not have a "miniature".... it is a toy breed and there are no size distinctions within the breed. From the AMA: "Size - Weight under 7 pounds, with from 4 to 6 pounds preferred. Overall quality is to be favored over size."

I'm glad you are enjoying your baby so much ... yes, this is the BEST breed!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Welcome! Do you have any pictures of him you could post?

Just to let you know a maltese is just a maltese no matter the size. The standard calls for 3-7lbs, with 4-6lbs preferred. There are some smaller then standard and some larger then standard. Your baby will probably be around 5lbs when he is done growing, which is a great size. Not to small and not too big!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Welcome to Elizabeth and Codi. I'm looking forward to seeing photos.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Here are some pictures of Codi I've taken since I got him!

Playing Hide and Go Seek!

Not the best picture, but you get the idea

Being Goofy

Calendar Prospect? HA HA HA!! ... cliche but cute

The Surprising Hair Cut
(and kind of evil looking almost)

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Great pics!! What a cutie you got there!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Codi is a hunk. A maltese has a way of winning a persons heart . Remember they are like potato chips can't settle with one trust me I am living proof of that.
Teaco

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
What a cute baby you have!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just read the many different posts regarding different maltese sizes... thanks for the explanation!!!

Bad hair day lol

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
welcome to SM great pics!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.