Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all and your precious beautiful Furbabies!

I'm not a maltese owner (yet).....but I grew up with one until she passed away 10 years ago and two of my aunts are currently spoiled maltese owners. I haven't found the perfect maltese for me yet,but I hope to find one sometime this year to love. I live home with a husband, and I'm a mother of 3. My oldest son who would have turned 9 in May passed away shortly before I went into labor, his twin sister luckily made it otherwise I probably would have went insane and killed myself if I lost them both..and of course we have the baby boy of the family our 5 year old son who's a complete clown. We also share our home with a dog (boxer) and a cat...they are my fur'babies' and I spoil them rotten.Even though I grew up with a maltese I always considered myself a 'big' dog person but we recently suffered a second trimester pregnancy loss and my husband who just came home from this past spring is now returning being stationed oversea's and we wont be able to join him for awhile...and I feel pretty empty and want to 'baby' something and after some thinking have decided it would be pretty therapeutic if I had a small dog to 'love and nurture'....and keep me busy and my mind off of my husband being gone since there's always alot of work involved anytime you bring in new pet. We havent set a 'timeframe' for a new dog, we're just looking for the 'right' dog for us.I dont care about teacups/micro...whatever it is people are labeling the super tiny dogs or age....all we know is that we want a female dog since I already have a big male boxer dog and he's great around female dogs but picky about certain male dogs. I hope to get to know some of you, learn more about the maltese breed, and I will keep you all posted when we find 'our' maltese :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Welcome to Spoiled Maltese! Hope you find your special baby. Is your boxer neutered?

So sorry to hear about the loss of your son. That must have been devastating!

Since you have a larger dog already, i would look for a maltese that will be on the larger end of the standard (which is 4-7 lbs) And I would avoid any breeder who does advertise 'teacups' or 'micros' because that is a clear indication they are only breeding for profit, not to better the breed.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm actually more interesed in the larger more 'standard' maltese, the one I grew up with was about 7/8 pounds....maybe a little more during her golden years. My boxer actually isn't neutered yet, under contract his breeder won't let me neuter him until he is at least 18 months old but no later than 24 months old. We plan to neuter him at exactly 18 months so in a little over 2 months he'll be fixed. I have no preference for a puppy or adult female. I would also have her spayed right away if she isn't already. I'm currently looking at various rescues and petfinder....waiting for that heart stopping 'thats the one' moment LOL

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'm actually more interesed in the larger more 'standard' maltese, the one I grew up with was about 7/8 pounds....maybe a little more during her golden years. My boxer actually isn't neutered yet, under contract his breeder won't let me neuter him until he is at least 18 months old but no later than 24 months old. We plan to neuter him at exactly 18 months so in a little over 2 months he'll be fixed. I have no preference for a puppy or adult female. I would also have her spayed right away if she isn't already. I'm currently looking at various rescues and petfinder....waiting for that heart stopping 'thats the one' moment LOL
:welcome1: You know your children best, but I would caution against adding a small toy dog such as a maltese of any size at this juncture with a little 5 year old. Small children can be rough or drop a dog in a blink of an eye which could be fatal for a little one. Maybe something cuddly like a cocker or something with a bit more substance that is still small enough for you to cuddle? Just my thoughts and hope you aren't offended...I've just heard too many sad stories over the years about broken bones and worse when little dogs are mixed with little children... Frankly, I would also be afraid about having a boxer puppy interact with a small maltese.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Welcome! I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your son and baby. I have miscarried twice and it was so painful :(. I just want to say that my husband is retired but was active duty for 9 years of our marriage, so I know what it is to have your husband gone all of the time, and deployed :( I am so sorry you are having to deal with all of this. But you sound like such a strong woman!

I got my original malt for the same reason you did...a baby to cuddle. Of course, the show bug bit me and now my daughter and I are *just* beginning to show.

I do hope you find that special malt. I too have a larger dog (a 70lb golden retriever) and he is good with the malts, but I still always watch him when they are together (he could accidentally step on them and hurt them...) So if you know and have seen your boxer around smaller dogs, and they get along (so long as the other is female) then like Stacy said, perhaps a malt on the larger end of the scale would be good. My male malt, triniti, is pushing 6 + lbs while my female, Terra, is only 4.5 :) (luckily she wants nothing to do with Scout the golden).

Again, welcome and I hope you find that special fluff!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@maltlovereileen- No offense taken, I too have heard some tragic stories of small/young kids and small dogs that are heartbreaking....luckily,my children have always been around dogs (mostly big ones) but most of our family and friends all have small dogs and we have 'pet rules' like what they can and can't do to/with the animals and for the most part they are very good....but of course children and pets should be supervised at all times and with both of my kids attending school and me being a stay at home wife/mom I'm always around to keep my eye on things. My boxer, although still technically a pup himself is very well socialized and is amazing around other dogs (big and small)....no offense to small dog lover's, but I have never had a breed of dog that was as intuitive/gentle as the boxer's I have raised over the years. He does have some quirks with aggressive/dominant large males dogs, I havent ever seen him have any issues with smaller male dogs but just to play it safe that is why we've decided a female would be a better option. Our bestfriends own a 5 pound female Yorkie and the two of them could play all day and all night if they had it their way. He will be taking his CGC test next month, and we're looking into making him a therapy dog. I dont have any doubts that a maltese would fit into my family regardless of having kids or a large breed dog.....the only obstacle is trying to find the 'right' dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@missiek - Thank you, and thank your husband for his service to our country. The military lifestyle isn't easy but it is the only one I have ever known since I was an army brat before I became an army wife....I have my up and down days and get frustrated....It's the reason why I ever got my first boxer. I needed to feel 'secure' for when my husband would go away. I have security, and we had originally planned to try for another baby after this last miscarriage but with him going oversea's not only will it be impossible but I'd like to have him home for at least part of the pregnancy and birth....so we're going to have to wait a year or so and thats why we decided it would be best if I had a new 'furbaby' to love and spoil. I spoil my boxer and he is very much my baby but he isnt te most comfortable lap dog and he doesn't look good with bows in his hair LOL

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Welcome to SM. I hope you find what you are looking for. I also hope you and your child are the exception to the rule. I know of several families who had young ones they claimed knew the rules, but looked away just for a minute ... Just something to consider. :)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
welcome to SM ! im so sorry about the loss of your baby boy, i cant imagine how painful it was for u . I hope you find ur baby , i wish you lots of luck on your search. please share pics of ur boxer and ur kids.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts