Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello a couple of days ago we got lacee-mae (we call her lacee for short). She's such a doll. She's a sweetheart and very smart. We got her from a friend of the family in CA who shows her babies and she's retiring and never sells her babies and she had one itty bitty gal who was to small for show she thinks and would need some extra love, So, we got her. At first I was concerned with her size. I have children two whom are very mature but I know how kids are so when we heard the news that we were being offered a pup we brought our kids on a 8 hour drive to CA to see my friends dogs (not telling the kids what we were doing, just told them we were visiting) we watched my kids (8 & 10) to see if we thought they'd do good with a little dog, and they did great with all her little dogs. Then when we got home (still not telling them what our future plan was) we had them take on responsibilities around the house. THey did great too with that so, we thought they were ready. And it turns out we were right, they realize how fragile the little Lacee is, and most of all little Lacee loved them from the very start when we went to visit her from her birth, out of all the pups Lacee without being asked would come sit with my children and I just knew she was mean for us! So, far it's been great and we love her like a little family member..I'm a little tired I'll admitt with the crying at 3 AM everynight .lol.. I am so pleased to find you guys and hope that you all don't mind guiding me in my relationship with my new little gal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
:Welcome 3: and congratulations on your little Lacee.
She is a precious little girl! You sure came to the
right place for guidance, the experience here
is unbelievable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! I'm so excited I feel almost like I gave birth to another, I even tear up a lil sometimes when she's sleeping or something on me.lol.. I'm such a sap

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Welcome to Spoiled Maltese!!! Lacee is adorable!! Tell us more about her!!! how old is she ....how much does she weigh????

I got a pup from Bonnie Palmer who at almost two years old is still three lbs! I showed her for about 6 months, but we're done now. I just had her cut down....now we're waiting for the spay.... it was fun while it lasted!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More about Lacee

Well, I can't remember what the vet said. She weighs less than a pound she was born May 10th so, if I am adding right She's almost 12 weeks like 11 and a half could be wrong there (I'm not looking at a calendar). She has had to do one shot at a time. lol.. To be honest her little personality just blows me away. She's the perfect mixture of play and cuddle and love TV.
The only concern I've had is one time she did this thing where when she was watching TV I startled her and she started huffing or something but the second I picked her up she stopped So, I think I just scared the poor gal.
She has no fear of toads, we've already had some cricket chewing and toad chasing.. lol.. So, far she's the best little gal I could have ever asked for, Thanks for asking!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Oh very cute!! Who did you get her from? I show in california so I know a lot of the cali exhibitors! My kids were 7 and 8 when we brought our first pet maltese home and now my daughter shows her in junior showmanship (she's 11 now) and they have done really really well. I'm sure your kids will be just fine with her!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
oh just wanted to add, I'm not sure if you already know this (I didn't know it when i got my first malt) but don't put her outside on the ground until she has had all of her vaccinations (around age 16 weeks) Parvo is very serious and can kill these little pups sooo fast!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I got her from Deborah Davis. Thanks for the kind comments.
I am not familiar with her, but i"m relatively new, so that might explain it!. Were there litter mates? Were they as tiny as she is? Not even a pound at the age she is is really on the small side, esp to be sold at 10-11 weeks, that's putting a lot of responsibility on your shoulders. Most breeders hold onto their tiny ones an extra few weeks because they need a bit of extra care to make sure they are eating at regular intervals and to watch for hypoglycemia.

I completely agree with you that's it's like having a new baby in the house! Isnt' it great though? :wub:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She had litter mates two boys and one other gal but they all went to her family, She had one that she gave to her sister, one to her in law she said and I don't know where the other went. She's almost a pound the Vet said, Debbie gave me puppy cal, told me to give my pup yogurt once a day? lol.. I thought thats odd but hey she's been doing this a while.lol.. Then to put honey in her water too once a day something like to prevent hyperglocemia? not sure how to spell it. Yeah, the vet says She may be 4 pounds if I'm lucky. We will be getting her spayed as soon as she's big enough.lol.. So, do you pad train them then? I was told by my vet pad training is like teaching them it's okay to pee in your house.lol.. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Welcome to SM! This community has been a wonderful place to share info and celebrate being owners of the best breed around IMHO:)

Lacee is adorable! I love her pink bow!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
She had litter mates two boys and one other gal but they all went to her family, She had one that she gave to her sister, one to her in law she said and I don't know where the other went. She's almost a pound the Vet said, Debbie gave me puppy cal, told me to give my pup yogurt once a day? lol.. I thought thats odd but hey she's been doing this a while.lol.. Then to put honey in her water too once a day something like to prevent hyperglocemia? not sure how to spell it. Yeah, the vet says She may be 4 pounds if I'm lucky. We will be getting her spayed as soon as she's big enough.lol.. So, do you pad train them then? I was told by my vet pad training is like teaching them it's okay to pee in your house.lol.. Thanks for the advice.
All mine are pad trained, and I think you'll find at least half of the members on here pee pad train their dogs. I think if it's done correctly, it doesn't teach your dog that it's ok to pee in the house. That's great that your friend gave you advice on how to prevent hypogylcemia!

If she is significantly smaller than her litter mates, make sure your vet does lab work prior to spaying her.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All mine are pad trained, and I think you'll find at least half of the members on here pee pad train their dogs. I think if it's done correctly, it doesn't teach your dog that it's ok to pee in the house. That's great that your friend gave you advice on how to prevent hypogylcemia!

If she is significantly smaller than her litter mates, make sure your vet does lab work prior to spaying her.

Hmm.. What is the lab work for? like I said I don't know.lol.. I am taking your advice in whole heartedly and appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts