Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Hello SM! How is everyone doing?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  vinhle68 
#1 ·
Hello SM! Wow it has been over a year since we visit and post here since the COVID pandamic started. We hope that everyone and all of the previous babies are doing well dealing with the covid19 virus. We have heard rumors and unconfirmed stories online that it is possible for the fur babies to contact the covid19 virus but to date we have not really heard of any confirm cases which is great I guess.

Does anyone here have any info on CBD benefit for Maltese? Ann and I are starting to do our research on whether CBD could benefit dogs so we can look to experimenting on Pork Chop.

The latest development for Pork Chop is that based on the latest XRAY result, our Vet Dr. Gentinetta suspects he maybe dealing with bulging disc issues which are the likely cause to causing him a lot of discomfort even possibly pain.

This all started about 4-5 months ago when we starting to notice that Porky seem to occassionally having a hard time sleeping through the nights. He would usually wakes up around 2:00-3:00AM and become restless, unable to lie still in one possition, unable to put his head down, and also his hind legs jolt and jerk occassionally. The symptom were mild at the beginning but we observed they gradually increase in intensity and repeated occurences. At first we naturually suspects that it is possible the tumor in his neck may have aggressively grow back so we scheduled a visit back to LSU.

Based on the symptoms we described to the LSU small animal medical staff, Dr. Louper suggested that we do both CT-SCAN and MRI to see if they can detects anything that would explain Porky issues but the only positive result we got was the tumor and tumor's area remain small and dormant and no signs of regrowth.

However, the symptoms remains and Porky continued to have issue sleeping through the night. In the last 3-4 weeks we have started Porky back on Prednisolone and combining with Gabapetin which shown some slight signs of improvement but not completely gotten rid of the nightly restlessness and discomfort. Last week he started to develop a new problem with his rear-right hind legs where we believe it is muscle deteriorating related due to taking the Prednisolone but he was not able to freely and comfortably put down his hind leg and walk normally. He skip or hop with the back-right leg as he walks. When the symptom started, the first 1-3 days he seem really uncomfortable and didn't want to walk but gradually things has improved where he is still hopping and wobling but now able to put the back right leg down as he walk. We have stopped playing ball with Porky all together, and we only let him walk small distant so he can do his business.

Now we are wondering if possibly CBD could help Porky and we are starting our research. If anyone has any info on CBD and benefit to dogs, please feel free to share with us!

Vinh & Ann

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello SM! Wow it has been over a year since we visit and post here since the COVID pandamic started. We hope that everyone and all of the previous babies are doing well dealing with the covid19 virus. We have heard rumors and unconfirmed stories online that it is possible for the fur babies to contact the covid19 virus but to date we have not really heard of any confirm cases which is great I guess.

Does anyone here have any info on CBD benefit for Maltese? Ann and I are starting to do our research on whether CBD could benefit dogs so we can look to experimenting on Pork Chop.

The latest development for Pork Chop is that based on the latest XRAY result, our Vet Dr. Gentinetta suspects he maybe dealing with bulging disc issues which are the likely cause to causing him a lot of discomfort even possibly pain.

This all started about 4-5 months ago when we starting to notice that Porky seem to occassionally having a hard time sleeping through the nights. He would usually wakes up around 2:00-3:00AM and become restless, unable to lie still in one possition, unable to put his head down, and also his hind legs jolt and jerk occassionally. The symptom were mild at the beginning but we observed they gradually increase in intensity and repeated occurences. At first we naturually suspects that it is possible the tumor in his neck may have aggressively grow back so we scheduled a visit back to LSU.

Based on the symptoms we described to the LSU small animal medical staff, Dr. Louper suggested that we do both CT-SCAN and MRI to see if they can detects anything that would explain Porky issues but the only positive result we got was the tumor and tumor's area remain small and dormant and no signs of regrowth.

However, the symptoms remains and Porky continued to have issue sleeping through the night. In the last 3-4 weeks we have started Porky back on Prednisolone and combining with Gabapetin which shown some slight signs of improvement but not completely gotten rid of the nightly restlessness and discomfort. Last week he started to develop a new problem with his rear-right hind legs where we believe it is muscle deteriorating related due to taking the Prednisolone but he was not able to freely and comfortably put down his hind leg and walk normally. He skip or hop with the back-right leg as he walks. When the symptom started, the first 1-3 days he seem really uncomfortable and didn't want to walk but gradually things has improved where he is still hopping and wobling but now able to put the back right leg down as he walk. We have stopped playing ball with Porky all together, and we only let him walk small distant so he can do his business.

Now we are wondering if possibly CBD could help Porky and we are starting our research. If anyone has any info on CBD and benefit to dogs, please feel free to share with us!

Vinh & Ann

#4 ·

Vinh & Ann
Hi Vinh and Ann,
I am so sorry to hear that Porky is going through this. It is so hard to see them be uncomfortable and not know what to do.
My Maltese Molly had a bulging disc, and she would have weakness in one leg that would come and go. We were able to treat it with supplements to try to keep the inflammation down. They were very effective. This was before CBD was popular so I am not sure about that, but thought I would let you know what we tried in case you would like to ask your vet about them.
We used Vetridisc, which is a supplement specifically for disc issues.
We also used DGP for pain. It is an alternative to drugs like Rimadyl for pain, which can have some concerning side effects if used long term.

Also, there is a good site with a lot of information about disc disease that might be helpful. A lot of it is about more severe disc disease, but there is some good information about prevention.

I hope that Porky improves soon!

#6 ·
Hello Kathleen,

Thank you for recommending the Vetridisc supplement and additional information that we can read up on. We will definitely consult with our Vets on this and see if it is an option to explore for Pork Chop. Due to Pork Chop recently gone through having a tumor removed from his upper neck area, and then also had to go through remediation radiation therapy to ensure the tumor cells does not regrow, we are constantly concern that the tumor cell could find their way up to his brain area. We are waiting for our Vet to refers us back to Mississippi State Small Animal Hospital to get Pork Chop exam by their Neurologist to see what we are dealing with. We'll keep everyone updated as best we can.

Take great cares, Vinh & Ann

#5 ·
Hi Vinhne and Ann, I have not been here much either just checking in a couple of months ago. I am sorry Porky is not well. I don't know anything to suggest. Unless you think you need a 2nd opinion maybe from a vet ? I have a feeling thou you are quite comfortable with your vet already. Unless you can search this site and see older posts - it seems like others have had similar problem.

I have been so lucky so far with Jodi, he is not on any meds and just had a dental. He goes for walks sometimes a little more slowly but I carry him every little while for a rest. He definitely has some hearing loss and I can sneak in without him hearing me sometimes.
hoping for good results and that Porky is more comfortable soon.

#7 ·
Vinh, please refresh my memory---what kind of tumor did P C have---was it a mast cell? Did you get the referral you were hoping for ?

#8 ·
Hi Sandi! How are you? Hmm good question and I am drawing blank right now on type of tumor but I will try to backtrack on my notes and find out and will update you. :) Hope you and the pubs are doing well, take great cares Sandi!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.