Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am a new owner of a baby boy whose 8 weeks old. His name is Koda and I am reading everything I can because I want this dog to be a good dog so badly. He is so sweet and even though I've only had him for about 5 days, I'm already smitten about the furball!

My only real concern right now is I work PT- 3 days a week and am gone for about 8 hour days. I do have a neighbor girl who has been coming over midday to play and let him out, which makes me feel better, but I would love to know some tips on making him feel more secure when were not there. Eventually she'll be back in school after her break and he'll be there alone. I feel like he wont adequately be trained to potty being left that long. Sometimes he goes on the pad, sometimes he doesnt. But he does always go when I take him out to his designated potty area.

He stays in our kitchen with his crate, all his toys, radio on, food and water and pee pad blocked in.

Advice?

Thanks in advance. I can tell this forum is going to be a great help to my new baby.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
welcome jenn ! he is a pretty young pup.. i leave mine alone but i got him at 16 weeks .. sounds like what u r doing is ok, but remember u cannot crate him for all those hrs. ( i dont think u dont) i keep mine in a gated kitchen with all his stuff and he has enough space to run around .. im just afraid yours is too young to stay by himself so many hrs.
for the potty training give him lots of praise n a treat when he does go .

u will love it here im sure , everyone here is a fountain of knowledge.. look forward to seeing pics of ur fluff.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hiya

Thats a pretty young pup to by away from its mother and im not sure about leaving it alone already? But its good that someone is coming over to check at the moment. I got bella at 8 weeks and it was far too young but she was never left alone. She was just dfar too small. My other 2 were older and it was about 16/17 weeks before mya was left alone for any time but i understand you have to work :) is there not anyone who can look after him during the day??

congrats on your new baby thought by the way, cant wait to see pics xxx

·
Registered
847 Posts
At that age, I would be worried about leaving him because of the risk for hypoglycemia. Pups should really stay with their mothers for the first 12 weeks. If he doesn't get enough food and his blood sugar drops, he could have a seizure or worse, and no one would be home to help him.

Not trying to scare you, but definitely be aware and be sure he eats a good meal before you leave. How much does he weigh?

Once he's old enough, I don't think you'll have a problem leaving him with his pad/food/toys/bed while you're gone for work. I would start by leaving him in there while you run to the store, etc, so he gets used to it in shorter increments first.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
:Welcome 3: You will find this site very helpful.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Best wishes for you and your new baby. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

He is not crated with the door closed when I'm at work. He has the whole kitchen to himself, his bed that he loves in his crate, food, water and all his toys. Also has pee pads that he uses well too. I have someone who has been coming over a couple times and when I get home he seems to be perfectly fine. He really is quite a submissive puppy and generally happy.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
He is not crated with the door closed when I'm at work. He has the whole kitchen to himself, his bed that he loves in his crate, food, water and all his toys. Also has pee pads that he uses well too. I have someone who has been coming over a couple times and when I get home he seems to be perfectly fine. He really is quite a submissive puppy and generally happy.
I see that you are doing a good job ;) Looking forward to meeting him in pictures:wub:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts