Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - my name is Paula. Hope everyone is safe and well during this pandemic! Was a member of this group years ago and just coming back.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Welcome back Paula. I am looking forward to hearing an update as to what you and your fluff have been up to. We would love to see pictures too.
This new SM format takes some getting used to. I for one liked the old setup so much better. I guess I'm more of a visual person and this new site lacks in that area.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes - it’s very different than last time I was here. Unfortunately, our precious Kip passed suddenly on 4/11. He was doing great; eating, playful, happy - came in from a quick potty run before bed and he collapsed and had a seizure. He was unresponsive for about 30 minutes as I drove to the emergency clinic. Once we got there, he seemed to be alert and was walking, but when the vet called me 15 minutes later, the news was bad. A lot of fluid around his heart and the seizures did not respond to medication; we made the decision to let him go. We are hoping to get another Maltese in the not too distant future. We just loved him so much and miss him terribly.

5111C28B-BE7B-460C-8174-D8E0A75D8CF7.jpeg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes - it’s very different than last time I was here. Unfortunately, our precious Kip passed suddenly on 4/11. He was doing great; eating, playful, happy - came in from a quick potty run before bed and he collapsed and had a seizure. He was unresponsive for about 30 minutes as I drove to the emergency clinic. Once we got there, he seemed to be alert and was walking, but when the vet called me 15 minutes later, the news was bad. A lot of fluid around his heart and the seizures did not respond to medication; we made the decision to let him go. We are hoping to get another Maltese in the not too distant future. We just loved him so much and miss him terribly.

View attachment 274391
Oh, Paula! I can't even imagine how difficult it must have been for you. Is that him on the photo? He looks so cute! I do have a question: are Maltese prone to seizures?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, Paula! I can't even imagine how difficult it must have been for you. Is that him on the photo? He looks so cute! I do have a question: are Maltese prone to seizures?
Hi Tissa - it is heartbreaking. Kip was 15 and 8 months when he passed; that is him in the photo. He was the greatest pet - loved to be held and cuddled and always knew when I needed comfort. He never had a seizure until he passed away. Both the emergency vet and his regular vet feel he had a brain tumor that caused the seizure. I don’t believe the Maltese breed is prone to them. Hopefully we will get another Maltese in the future; such a wonderful breed for our family. We miss this little guy so much!!!

·
Premium Member
24,150 Posts
Welcome back Paula, I am so sorry about losing little Kip.
You were so blessed to have him do long.
My Matilda went home to Heaven's Rainbow Bridge Jan 15th 2017 of CHF, we had no idea she was ill.
Do you remember me we share the same name

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome back Paula, I am so sorry about losing little Kip.
You were so blessed to have him do long.
My Matilda went home to Heaven's Rainbow Bridge Jan 15th 2017 of CHF, we had no idea she was ill.
Do you remember me we share the same name
Thank you so much, Paula. I do believe I remember you! I joined the first time in 2005 as well. I’m sorry you lost your Matilda! It is so hard! Is that her picture? Such a beautiful pup! Kip was a little love and we miss him terribly. He was fine until the seizure, and we were heartbroken with the diagnosis and outcome. He brought us a lot of joy for a very long time and we are grateful for that. We hope to adopt another Maltese in the not too distant future.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Paula, I am so sorry to read about your sudden loss of Kip. I can't imagine how heartbreaking that day was for you and the huge emptiness left in your heart. He sure was a cute little guy. I too am hoping that in the very near future you find the perfect maltese to join your family and share your love with. I am glad you are part of our SM family. Sending you a big hug!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much. It was so horrible. Because of the pandemic I had to wait in the car for the vet to examine Kip and give a diagnosis. She did let me in the back of the clinic so I could say goodbye and hold him as he slipped away. I am grateful for those last precious moments.
Your Abella is gorgeous! Such expressive eyes and a beautiful coat. She must be such a joy for you! I feel ready for another Maltese, but we have a 15 year old Papillon who needs our attention for now.
Thank you for writing - I am overwhelmed by all the kindness and support from this group! Give hugs to Abella for me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts