Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Hello!

2K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  ButterCloudandNoriko 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone! I just wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself. I'm a little early though! I don't get to pick up my dear little puppy, Kevanthe Abigail Windsor (Abby) until Friday 10/9 - BUT I CAN'T WAIT!!! She will be my first maltese pup - actually my first personal pet (not a family pet), so I am nearly going crazy!

I've been waiting for weeks upon weeks to get her!

Actually, just wondering if there were any hints for settling her in - I'm actually moving house this weekend, so if there's any good puppy-proofing tips then I would appreciate them so that I can attend to them while I'm setting up house, and tips on what to do and what not to do - I would like to show her in the future...???

Once again hello - and I will be sure to post a picture of Abby as soon as I have her in my hands!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on your new soon to be addition. You will absolutely LOVE her to pieces. The Maltese is the most wonderful dog (IMO...but then again I am biased!)

As far as what to have on hand? It depends on what/where she is going to potty. Plenty of pads if you are going to have her inside for potty time(even if initially). I also recommend having a place to call his own, even if later you want her to sleep with you. I have a crate lined w/ a soft blankie for when we are gone. He didn't seem to mind it and honestly, I hear they tend to go there when they need to feel safe. A bed will do. Anything that has a soft lining to keep her warm. The whining the first night did me in and Oliver has slept with me ever since!

I am sure others will have lots more to add, that is all I can think of at the moment.

#3 ·
Welcome and congratulations.
I agree completly about Maltese needing a safe haven. If you're planning on showing, your dog will have to get used to a crate (at least for traveling). Mine always go in when they want some quiet time. As far as puppy proofing goes... make sure there are no electrical cords on the floor, no small objects, ALWAYS BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR REFRIDGERATOR DOOR!!! Puppies love the smell of food and tend to be where they're not supposed to be. Learn the puppy shuffle (when you walk tend to slide your feet instead of raising them) for a while so your baby doesn't get stepped on. The last thing I suggest is schedueling. Try to keep the same routine. It really helps. Oh and if your going to show, After your puppy gets its shots bring your new companion around as many peoply and other dogs as possible. Show dogs are well socialized.
Good luck

#4 ·
Congrats!

If you do have electrical cords that you can't put up you can get some of the plastic tubing from Menard's/Lowes/Home Depot that have the slit down the side. You just slide the cords inside it. That way the puppy can't chew on the actually cord.

I agree with Triste & adorableaccentsdogbows.com about the crate. Lexi loves her's. In the mornings when I have to leave for work she will walk into her crate by herself.

If you have a short trash can put it in a cabinet or somewhere that the puppy will not have access to. I have a tall kitchen trash can, it also has a lid. In the bathroom I keep the trash can on the back of the toilet.

Another thing you might have to do is not bother put the TP on the TP roll thing. Lexi LOVES to unroll the toilet paper and shred it. Well, she loves to shred anything. So anything that is paper you will probably want to keep up high (this includes the mail).

One thing that helped me when I was puppy proofing was to get down on my hand and knees (so that I was more at puppy height) and see what Lexi would be looking at.

Here are some websites about puppy proofing:
MO Puppy Proofing
Tips on Puppy Proofing
Puppy Proofing Your Home

#5 ·
Congratulations!! Caesar is our first maltese too. These guys are wonderful u will definantely be glad you chose little Abby!:)
I agree with all of them as far as allowing them to have a safe haven. Caesar has slept in bed with us since the 2nd night. He lays up on our pillows around our heads. He has a crate lined with a blankie, toys, treats, food, and a water dish that hangs on the side which he stays in while I am at class and my husband is working.
I am telling u, these little guys are vacuums. They will find anything and everything on the floor and put it in their mouths. Caesar has had paper, plastic, battaries, rocks, q-tips, anything u name it hes had it:). We kept things picked up pretty well here but when we take him visiting, other homes aren't always puppy proofed.

Caesar goes potty inside on pads, even if you plan on Abby going outside, I would suggest starting out on the pads. They are sented and so the puppy wants to potty on them, and then u just throw it away when it gets 'full'. When Caesar poo's on the pad, we just pick it up with toilet paper and flush it. He is completely potty trained and has been for a very long time. I think the trick to that was each time he has gone (and now still goes) potty on the pad he gets 2 honey nut cheerios. He absolutely loves them. We have also taught him to sit, walk, and dance using the honey nut cheerios... they are by far his favorite :D .
We have never had a problem with Caesar chewing on any furniture, but he does have a TON of toys and chew bones, that maybe why? Nylabone makes a 'puppy pacifier' bone and it is a flexible rubber type bone and u can get them in different flavors. Caesar has a chicken one and a chocolate one. Its not edible but makes for hours of chewing time for the babies.

Congrats again on getting baby Abby in a week. I am very excited for you! Looking forward to pictures :D

#10 ·
Congartulations and welcome to spoiled maltese. People here are very friendly :D

#11 ·
Oh yes yes yes....keep allllll tp, kleenex, tissue paper of ANY kind up. Oliver can reach the one on the wall, he bounces like Tigger and then pulls on the hanging tp and then weeeeeeeeee....it's history. Actually it's my cat who chews on the spare rolls in the cabinet (he can paw his way in!) Here I thought it was Oliver doing it! :eek: Oliver also likes to chew on (ok I'm sorry but....) dirty undies. The dirtier (I have 4 kids so you can imagine :wacko: ) the better. As far as Bitter Apple is concerned, I used it upon recommendation of a trainer and Oliver didn't seem to mind the taste at all
! He chews through every harness we have tried but the figure 8 kind you get at Petsmart. The problem with that is it isn't totally choke proof. I am hoping now that he's been w/out a regular harness, he's forgotten that he chews on them
and am going to try it again soon. ) As far as the sweater, THAT IS A DEFINITE. Oliver shivers when it dips below 50 :lol: He has a fleece sweater/sweatshirt. He loves it. He knows he has to put it on for walks. Like rubberbands, the sooner you get them used to it the better! Make sure you get a nice soft brush for it's fur. If you run it across the inside of your arm/wrist and it is uncomfy....it is NOT for your baby. I use a flea comb sometimes for quick combing around his face or when he's got a bit of something in his fur. It comes out like a breeze w/ this.

#12 ·
Welcome and Congratulations on your new addition!! This site is a great place for information. The people here are helpful AND friendly. It's a fun site, it's really addicting too!!
I can't wait to see pics of Abby!!
Congtats again!!

#13 ·
Lexi pulls the TP of the holder. She is also able to find a tissue anywhere. The other day she managed to pull the tissue box off the night stand shelve and into the hallway and then proceded to pull about 20 tissues out of the box and shread them. She was very proud of herself.

Lexi likes to chew on my underwear clean or dirty and my bras. She also like socks (again clean or dirty).

Lexi has about 4 t-shirts, 2 sweatshirts, and 2 sweaters. I need to get her a coat yet for this winter. Anyone know where I can get a cheap, waterproof dog coat?

G
#17 ·
Congrats. You will be a wonderful doggy mommy. Everyone here gives great advice. The only thing I can add is to have all of your puppy/dog supplies ready. Put everything away and have and crate and bed out for your puppy to have as soon as you get home. I had all of Lacey's stuff out a week before she came home to make sure I could live with I had put everything.

Lacey and I send are best to you.

#19 ·
Thank you everyone for all of your wonderful tips!

I moved into my new house on the weekend (and now I'm EXHAUSTED!!) and I have tried to set everything up so there are no chords etc hanging out. Only one room to go - the one with the computer - so probably the most challenging! LOL
I'm going to buy a baby gate this week so I can section off the kitchen and bathroom area (because I want her to get used to going potty in the bathroom, and leave her in there when not supervised. Is that too big area to start off with? I was going to leave her in just the bathroom at first, but it isn't a very big bathroom and I was a little worried - because it's a new house, I don't really know how hot it gets, and I'm worried that if I leave her in the bathroom and it heats up too much, she can't get away from it. At least if she has the kitchen/dining area and the bathroom, then she can move around. I don't have a lot of furniture (and my table has metal legs - so no chewing there!
) and all else is away in cupboards, so there isn't anything she can get at, I don't think

Friday is the big day though! 3 days after today and I'll be on my way! My dad is going to drive me down to pick her up. We are getting her from a place that is about 4 1/2 hours drive each way from here... any tips on the travel side of things? I was just going to take her crate (but to be honest, I'll be cuddling her the majority of the time I think!
), some lunch (we are picking her up at about 9.30am) and some bikkie snacks, water, some wipes in case she messes and I need to clean her up, a blanket and a couple of toys... anything else??

#21 ·
Originally posted by Sunshine@Sep 5 2004, 07:25 PM
Thank you everyone for all of your wonderful tips!

I moved into my new house on the weekend (and now I'm EXHAUSTED!!) and I have tried to set everything up so there are no chords etc hanging out. Only one room to go - the one with the computer - so probably the most challenging! LOL 
I'm going to buy a baby gate this week so I can section off the kitchen and bathroom area (because I want her to get used to going potty in the bathroom, and leave her in there when not supervised.  Is that too big area to start off with? I was going to leave her in just the bathroom at first, but it isn't a very big bathroom and I was a little worried - because it's a new house, I don't really know how hot it gets, and I'm worried that if I leave her in the bathroom and it heats up too much, she can't get away from it. At least if she has the kitchen/dining area and the bathroom, then she can move around. I don't have a lot of furniture (and my table has metal legs - so no chewing there! 
) and all else is away in cupboards, so there isn't anything she can get at, I don't think 

Friday is the big day though! 3 days after today and I'll be on my way! My dad is going to drive me down to pick her up. We are getting her from a place that is about 4 1/2 hours drive each way from here... any tips on the travel side of things? I was just going to take her crate (but to be honest, I'll be cuddling her the majority of the time I think! 
), some lunch (we are picking her up at about 9.30am) and some bikkie snacks, water, some wipes in case she messes and I need to clean her up, a blanket and a couple of toys... anything else??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8392
[/QUOTE]
Bring plenty of towels and definately the NC. Puppies tend to get very car sick. Foaming and drooling are not uncommon so don't be afraid. She'll be fine after she's home a few hours. Good luck

#22 ·

Brinkley loves dirty underwear too...but only mine and my daughters. Drives me nuts!!!!
Once he got into the dirty laundry pile and started messing with my bra. I had to go down the hall for something, and of course he had to follow mommy
...well my bra was hung around his neck and he was dragging it as he ran down the hall after me! Hilarious!

My seven year old son just rolled with laughter. He had to tell everyone about it for several days! :wacko:

Brinkley loves paper OF ANY KIND! I of course have told everyone else about the horrible TP roll incident, so we don't let him have the rolls to play with anymore. But he still snatches kleenex, paper towels, the kids artwork, bills, whatever he can reach that is paper...and chews it to bits. I really had to send in a bill one time without the slip thing that went in it. I put a little sticky note on it that said-"My dog ate my payment slip"- :D Thought maybe someone might get a smile out of it.
Actually from my "teacher" point of view, I now understand where the phrase-"my dog ate my homework" came from! I would now probably accept that excuse if a child told me that...I have proof of it at my house. I tell Mitchell all the time, that Brinkley is going to eat his homework if he leaves it laying in his reach! He would live on a paper diet if he could!

Anyway, to the topic of the original post. You have gotten great advice so far. I can't think of anything else right now. Good luck!!! :D

#23 ·
Hey Sunshine---I bet you will have a great week-end. I, too, am a believer in crates. Doesn't even matter what the breed of dog is. All of our dogs in the past 15 years have done great with housebreaking because of the crate. We get our new Maltese next month. We will have to buy her a crate as well. What size crate did you get? How old is your puppy going to be when you bring her home? Have a wonderful time with Abby!!!

#25 ·
Originally posted by bmoore14@Sep 6 2004, 05:45 PM
Hey Sunshine---I bet you will have a great week-end.  I, too, am a believer in crates.  Doesn't even matter what the breed of dog is.  All of our dogs in the past 15 years have done great with housebreaking because of the crate.  We get our new Maltese next month.  We will have to buy her a crate as well.  What size crate did you get?  How old is your puppy going to be when you bring her home?  Have a wonderful time with Abby!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8433
[/QUOTE]

AAAH!!! She'd better not do that! I RENT MY HOUSE!!!
... Please see the message I wrote in the 'other' section about names.... it's a dilemma that I need comforting for!

#26 ·
bmoore14: I got the Puppy Size MIDWEST Life Stages Fold & Carry Training and Travel Crates from PetSmart. I think it was $60. I love it. There is a door in front and one top. I usually travel with Lexi once a month and it works great. It is very easy to put up and take done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.