Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bijou just swallowed one of those tiny topknot rubber bands!! I saw her chewing on one, and I stuck my finger in her mouth to try to get it out like usual, but this time she accidentally swallowed it! Afterwards, she was looking all over the floor for it like she wanted to play with it some more!!!!! I try to keep those little bands off the floor....but it is so hard!!! :smilie_tischkante:

I just left a message for my vet in the city, but we are out at the house so I couldn't bring her in even if my vet was in, which I don't think she is.

My mom always gave me rice if I accidentally swallowed something like gum or fish bone....so that's what I just gave Bijou....Did I mess up? :unsure: I read online you can give some oil to help it pass-- is that true? What kind of oil? olive oil?

HELP!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I think she will eventually just pass it. If it was within the last hour then I have heard that you can give 1-2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide to make her vomit. Olivie oil or corn oil in her food will help the digestive tract a little slippery and help things move along.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I know how scared you must feel. I would be, too. That little monkey. When I first saw your post, I was thinking big rubber band. When I saw it was the little top knot kind, I breathed a sigh of relief. No, we don't want them swallowing those, but I really believe that Bijou will be just fine. :grouphug:

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Oh Sophia, honestly, the fright these little ones give us from time to time -

Because the rubber band is very tiny, and does not have sharp edges - I bet that it will pass uneventfully.

I would try giving some chicken broth, if Bijou isn’t a big drinker - just to get things moving along.

(((Hugs)))

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
:blink: Well, since I have had puppies in my home for years.. and training them for the show ring to have something on their heads early.. rubber bands have been found in the poop. :w00t: Never had a problem with it. I don't like it and am trying harder to keep the rubber bands off the floor. To be safe it would be nice to hear from your vet.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:blink: Well, since I have had puppies in my home for years.. and training them for the show ring to have something on their heads early.. rubber bands have been found in the poop. :w00t: Never had a problem with it. I don't like it and am trying harder to keep the rubber bands off the floor. To be safe it would be nice to hear from your vet.
Oh wow. Do you know how many days the "journey" takes?

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know how scared you must feel. I would be, too. That little monkey. When I first saw your post, I was thinking big rubber band. When I saw it was the little top knot kind, I breathed a sigh of relief. No, we don't want them swallowing those, but I really believe that Bijou will be just fine. :grouphug:
Thanks so much!! You made me feel better!!!! MONKEY is right!!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think she will eventually just pass it. If it was within the last hour then I have heard that you can give 1-2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide to make her vomit. Olivie oil or corn oil in her food will help the digestive tract a little slippery and help things move along.
I'll be sure to ask my vet about the hydrogen peroxide or the olive oil.........

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh Sophia, honestly, the fright these little ones give us from time to time -

Because the rubber band is very tiny, and does not have sharp edges - I bet that it will pass uneventfully.

I would try giving some chicken broth, if Bijou isn’t a big drinker - just to get things moving along.

(((Hugs)))
Thanks, Allie. Seriously, I think it was my fault for digging around for the rubber band too quickly.......she lost track of it.......I'll never understand why Bijou thinks anything tiny is such a treasure- she didn't want to give it up......:smilie_tischkante:

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Oh wow. Do you know how many days the "journey" takes?
:blink: Most of the time I find out about it when I pick up the poop! I don't know how many days the journey takes because I had no idea when they swallowed it, only that it is missing from the top their heads! When it first happened I was concerned but since I have never had a problem it doesn't worry me like that anymore. I am more careful with those pesky rubber bands that are several places in my home because I don't want a bad experience.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Sophia - Bijou treasures little bitty things because she is one. :wub: I pretty distinctly remember reading a thread on this on SM back before I even got Tyler and think it was pretty common and just passed for everyone who posted comments. I wouldn't make her vomit -- the vomiting thing for kids and pets I believe has changed in years -- better not to bring things up thru the passage again. I think rice is sticky and might help move it along but it is constipating so maybe the coconut oil. I think nature will just take its course and just watch her. If anything seems to be off, seek the vet out there. Otherwise, relax. Hope everything comes out okay.:w00t::HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
you could try some pumpkin and green beans to get things moving faster

and sounds like you need a laugh

Last year dexter pooped out a red bow for us as he must have gotten the red bow which was soft off of a stuffed animal and swallowed it and I freaked seeing this red thing in his poop and it was a WHOLE RED BOW. I about died - I guess he wanted to give us a wrapped present for christmas :)

I think everything will be ok :) try not to stress

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, cool.....Her breakfast already included green beans......I stirred in some olive oil....and I'll go look for some pumpkin today. Thanks, ladies!! I'll keep you posted...Not in too much detail, of course! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Last year dexter pooped out a red bow for us as he must have gotten the red bow which was soft off of a stuffed animal and swallowed it and I freaked seeing this red thing in his poop and it was a WHOLE RED BOW. I about died - I guess he wanted to give us a wrapped present for christmas :)

OMG!!!! DEBBBBBB!!!!!! That is hysterical!! You must have just fainted when you saw that entire bow come out!!!! :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

Poor, sweet Dex!! Thanks so much!!!! I totally did need that laugh......

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
OMG!!!! DEBBBBBB!!!!!! That is hysterical!! You must have just fainted when you saw that entire bow come out!!!! :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

Poor, sweet Dex!! Thanks so much!!!! I totally did need that laugh......
:) glad I could help hahahaha

yeah i freaked especially since he has ibd and pancreas issues - I went into panic mode but he was totally fine - I kept racking my brain as to where it came from and what toy but could not find anything and thought heck he wanted to give us a prezzie i guess

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts

:smrofl::smrofl: Aren't our little ones sooo thoughtful? :HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
:smrofl::smrofl: Aren't our little ones sooo thoughtful? :HistericalSmiley:
oh yeah they sure are and the wrapping paper he chose was nice too LOLLLL

ok here is another one

My parents went on vacation and came home and my mom had put her nice gold jewelry in a baggie on the kitchen table. Their silky terrier is so awnry - well he jumped on the table stole her jewelry as he was mad they left on vacation and another time he peed in the middle of their bed when they got back from vacation.

He ate the jewelry it was no where to be found all she found was the baggie. She had my nephews out there with plastic baggies on their hands each time Bear went poop. To this day we still do not know what happened to her jewelry - only Bear knows for sure - He is one expensive silky terrier LOL

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
oh yeah they sure are and the wrapping paper he chose was nice too LOLLLL

ok here is another one

My parents went on vacation and came home and my mom had put her nice gold jewelry in a baggie on the kitchen table. Their silky terrier is so awnry - well he jumped on the table stole her jewelry as he was mad they left on vacation and another time he peed in the middle of their bed when they got back from vacation.

He ate the jewelry it was no where to be found all she found was the baggie. She had my nephews out there with plastic baggies on their hands each time Bear went poop. To this day we still do not know what happened to her jewelry - only Bear knows for sure - He is one expensive silky terrier LOL
I think Bear took himself to the pawn shop and got a stash of treats for himself. Mean and smart as could be.:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Sophia -- Bijou will just pass it. It may come out in "parts" not as a whole rubber band. Should be all out within next couple of days. Not to worry. She'll be fine. You don't need to do anything for her but be patient. :)

That get into everything, don't they. And it's always so scary.

But this one is no big deal. I promise.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts