Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Munchkin | Adopted Dog | Greenville, VA | Maltese

Does this dog look like a full Maltese or a mix to you? This is the puppy that we are adopting on Saturday. We fully disclosed that I have allergies to almost all pets with the exception of the Malts. This is the primary reason we have Bella - I love animals and I can breathe around her. The problem is that I've gotten several inquiries from other folks wanting to know what he is mixed with. This REALLY concerns me because if he's a mix, odds are I will not be able to offer him a forever home. He is being transported here tomorrow so I need yall to be brutally honest with me please :thumbsup:.

PS ~ keep in mind he was shaved down because he was severely neglected. Matted down, urine burns and flea infestation.

Oh and if you were one of the ones who's asked me about his breed, please do not think for a second that I'm offended or upset by that. I am truly blessed to have folks around me enough to try and protect me (if in fact I need protecting). :wub:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well, his tail doesn't seem to curl like a Maltese tail, but he is soooo cute!! :wub: I really hope he doesn't give you allergies. :(

·
Premium Member
2,964 Posts
Don't know if i can be any help but he looks more like Petey then Belle. Belle sheds some but Petey does not seem to shed as of yet. Hope this helps but you do not know with rescues. Petey was also shaved down.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
He doesn't look full maltese - but it's hard to tell with not having a full body profile. His coat seems a bit curly, even shaved down. He looks like a sweetheart though!

·
Premium Member
17,394 Posts
Bridget, outside of a DNA test you will never know for sure if he is 100% maltese, regardless of what anyone here says he looks like. Having adopted a shaved down maltese (who looked like a mix when we got him), I know that hair can make a huge difference in appearance.
The thing that would concern me is the size---when mixed they are often bigger than pure maltese, but not always! Oh weh, I sure hope this works out for what is best for you. He is sooooo adorable & sounds like a sweetheart.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
That's the first thing I thought Bridget. But I don't really know either. And I didn't know about your allergies. His head and feet look bigger to me somehow, and his tail looks straighter and longer and even if he is shaved on body seems tail should have more hair on it. (?) It's so hard to tell. He is a sweet boy but I'd hate him to be rehomed again. Normally a reputable rescue won't take a chance and place a dog if you have allergies unless they also don't know if he is mixed. Who is the rescue group?

I'm sorry your going through this.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Bridget--even if he mixed some, maybe he has enough Maltese and it will be ok. how did you do with your other dogs before Bella. Sandi did bring up good point in not knowing size. Would he be full grown now?

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks you guys. I am completely torn and I need to decide. He is supposed to leave TN in a few hours to be transported to Va. I hate being such a "Malt Snob", but with allergies I don't have a choice. The allergies came on as an adult. Our previous babies were "sooners" - they sooner be this than that. I loved them completely. When they were ending their 15 year lives, is about when my allergies kicked in....it was not easy or fun. Since then, Malts truly seem to be the only breed I don't react too. He needs to be 100% comfortable in his forever home, and I need to be too. I really felt confident after to speaking with the rescue folks, and I in know way think they have misled me. As you have said, it is SO hard to tell breed with a rescue, but we have a heart for rescue so I will just have to work through that part as best I can. Our SM family is so torn about this sweet boy, that I truly don't know. Some of the "Mommy's" with the most beautiful Malts have suggested that he's pure, others think probably not. It's a big gamble and this little boy needs me to get it right. About his size. He's a bit bigger than most but smaller than others...so that's a toss up too. He's around 18 months +, so he should be pretty well full grown. There is something about the tail that is concerning me. To long maybe? Belle's tail is more like a worm when it's wet, so shaved his should sort of look like that too right?

·
Premium Member
17,394 Posts
Bridget, is it possible to take him on "trial" to see how you do? That isn't so far away that he could not be transported back? If you only kept him 2 wks. I don't think it would damage his psyche---but maybe yours?
I would think this would be the case w/any rescue you took almost.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Sandi, fortunately yes we can return him if my allergies pose a problem. They are over 12 hours from me (in TN) and I could pay to transport him back if we needed to. I just want to protect him from this kind of trauma. It truly makes me want to throw up. He hates crates and I just want to love an protect him forever.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
I would ask them to send me more pics. Tail and body. Allergies are no fun. My sister got them bad in her 40's, its hormonal. Maybe your vet can help you. Yes, his tail is very straight to me (was it shaved?) too but could be the pic(?).

Good luck. :wub:

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish I would have gotten more pics and now it's time for his transport so it's too late. He was COMPLETELY shaved down because of his skin and hair condition. The foster Mom is an amazing lady and she has taken wonderful care of him. She said his skin and hair look so much healthier now with proper diet and care. She said he's starting to "puff" from where the hair is growing in lol. Reminded me of Bella the way she grows back after I cut her. There is something about him that reminds me of Pat's Archie ...do you think?

Oh and I am SO glad to hear you say the allergies are hormones. I could not agree with you more! Getting the right doctor to figure that out has been a pain in the butt. I was never allergic to much of anything and now I'm allergic to everything. I am holding faith that as easily as the allergies showed up, they will also once disappear. Faith.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
He might just not be holding the tail up in the picture and with all the hair shaved it would make it look straight. It could just be in a more relaxed position.

·
Premium Member
15,980 Posts
Bridget if he!s mixed with Yorkie, Poodle , or Bichon, aren't they considered hypoallergenic dogs also? I have a little boy that comes with his mom to pick up his baby brother. He has severe allergies and asthma , but my dogs don't bother his allergies at all. He loves dogs and his mom always makes it a point for him to pet and get kisses from them each day!

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My heart is telling me you guys are right. I think he must have been scared in the picture. How could he not be? I don't need him to be show quality, just not allergic is all I want...other than my baby boy. The foster Mom who is BIG in TN about rescue, mills, animal control etc really believes his pure Malt. Apparently the area he is from is filled with BYB and Mills. So maybe he's Malt just a really "improper standard" of them?

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bridget if he!s mixed with Yorkie, Poodle , or Bichon, aren't they considered hypoallergenic dogs also? I have a little boy that comes with his mom to pick up his baby brother. He has severe allergies and asthma , but my dogs don't bother his allergies at all. He loves dogs and his mom always makes it a point for him to pet and get kisses from them each day!
:wub: I think they are supposed be less allergic than most. I think I'm just going to pray that God's hands are in this and that he will prepare my health so that if he's mixed I can handle it. I know we can love him. I already do and Ted does too. Bella....well that remains to be seen in just under 24 hours lol! :w00t:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts