Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My little ANGEL was injured 5 wks. ago. She is still not able to move her back limbs. It is so horribly sad to keep her in her stroller, her bed or my lap. Is there any hope at this point? She has been on massive doses of prednisone, stayed 11 days at the vet. hospital.
Someone give me some feed back, even if it is not positive. I need to decide soon on how long to keep my baby like this.
Thanks
sunshine (but not lately)

I did drive her three hours on Tuesday to see a third vet AND an animal neurosurgeon. They both agreed that surgery is out of the question and to give her two more weeks.
This is crazy. She did not even yelp with pain or seem hurt in the beginning. This is a nightmare.
I have cried so much, normally I am a very strong person.
Thank you for so many caring replies and thank you as fellow pet lovers for letting me talk to someone that understands what it is like.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Did she injure her spine? Discs?

My Moguls has disc disease when he was 10, we did surgery he rehabbed and he got 100% better. What is your Angel's issue. Sorry to hear. It's never easy.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I was wondering what happen to her little fluff. So
I clicked on her name and found this info.

Hi, My little Angel is 4 yrs. 11 months old. One month ago my husband stumbled over her, no sign of anything. But the next morning both hind legs like jello. Vet rec. surgery BUT it was the 4th of July weekend so that was out, high doses of Cortisone was given. By four days later, it was suggested her quality of life was not good. I went to another vet. he thought she would walk again. She was with him for 10 days. It has been a battle. There is no improvement. I don't want to torture this little dog but ME empting her bladder, water soaks x2 a day for 20 minutes and being in her stroller, her bed or my lap just seems cruel. DOES ANYONE HAVE a success story from a herniated disc with their baby? I am heartbroken BUT I must decide soon.
THank you,
sunshinejan

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Yes, my bichon had a ruptured disc and she was able to walk again after a few weeks. It's very important to work with the dog to "teach it to walk again."

We did physical therapy every day for about an hour total. I would massage her back legs for a few minutes, and walk her around with a back leg harness. I also would hold her back legs up off the ground, and move them as if she was walking, even though she couldn't move them herself. It took about 3 weeks. I highly recommend physical therapy. The doctor can show you what to do. I'm surprised they haven't already done so.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,096 Posts
Saying prayers for you tonight dear one! Please don't give up on this little baby---she would not give up on you! I think you can always give up later if it is absolutely necessary but give her a fighting chance. You would be surprised how strong these little ones are w/the right help. I know from experience---okay, a different kind from yours but from a very courageous little guy who made everyone look foolish who didn't believe he could do it. We are here for you. much love and many prayers, sandi

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Saying prayers for you tonight dear one! Please don't give up on this little baby---she would not give up on you! I think you can always give up later if it is absolutely necessary but give her a fighting chance. You would be surprised how strong these little ones are w/the right help. I know from experience---okay, a different kind from yours but from a very courageous little guy who made everyone look foolish who didn't believe he could do it. We are here for you. much love and many prayers, sandi
:goodpost: don't give up, we will be praying for her, miracles happen everyday. I can only imagine what this is like for you and Angel, I would like to say a prayer for you both. HUGS TO YOU

Heavenly Father, I praise you, you love each of us unconditonal, here we are with little Angel, you know what is happening in her little body, Lord if it be your will please touch her and bring healing to to her back legs, restore them. I also ask that you would be with Sunshine, give her hope, and peace of mind. Help her to wait on you and to not give up, it's so hard for her, she wants the best for her precious Angel, Lord I believe in miracles and little Angel needs one. Thank you Lord in advance. In Jesus name I pray. Amen

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I was wondering what happen to her little fluff. So
I clicked on her name and found this info.

Hi, My little Angel is 4 yrs. 11 months old. One month ago my husband stumbled over her, no sign of anything. But the next morning both hind legs like jello. Vet rec. surgery BUT it was the 4th of July weekend so that was out, high doses of Cortisone was given. By four days later, it was suggested her quality of life was not good. I went to another vet. he thought she would walk again. She was with him for 10 days. It has been a battle. There is no improvement. I don't want to torture this little dog but ME empting her bladder, water soaks x2 a day for 20 minutes and being in her stroller, her bed or my lap just seems cruel. DOES ANYONE HAVE a success story from a herniated disc with their baby? I am heartbroken BUT I must decide soon.
THank you,
sunshinejan
It sounds like the first vet recommended surgery a month ago. It might be time to revisit that idea since conservative treatment did not work.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
To clarify, the physical therapy I did with my Bichon was AFTER the surgery. There was a 50/50 chance she wouldn't ever walk again after surgery, but I wouldn't give up on her. We worked together and she lived a normal life after that.

I am sorry that you are dealing with this. I will pray for you and your dog.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Best wishes to you and to your baby.

I know this is a difficult time for you - but if you feel as though you cannot care for your baby - perhaps there is someone else that has the time to rehab her, so that she will have the best possible chance of living a full life.

There are many options available for her.

Allie

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I'm sorry this has happened to you and Angel. I can only imagine how hard this is on you both. I don't have any advice but wanted to tell you this breaks my heart for you and I hope you get some answers and Angel gets better.
Hugs & Prayers
:grouphug:

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
I have thought of you so many times Sunshine. I have been praying for Angel, I know your doing your best to help her, bless your heart that you have to go through all this. I want you to kow that I believe God will show you what is best for Angel. I will continue my prayers, I'm praying for her to have a complete recovery from this, but God's will be done. It's easy to give advise, but we arien't walking in your shoes and know the sadness you are feeling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for your kind comments and prayers. Over the weekend Angel started having "like" muscle spams all over, they were not seizures. She also started biting her front paws and chewing them. I think the little thing was just so stressed out maybe in pain. My husband took her Monday to the vet and held her while she went to sleep. He is a surgeon but you know, he called me crying his heart out when it was over. I stayed in bed all day Monday and most of Tuesday and am still weepy today. We all loved that little dog so much. She went to all of the football games, basketball games, pep ralleys. The teens all loved her so. Since she has either been in my lap or in my arms for 4 wks. (one week she spent at the hospital) I am lost without her. Oh, I hope this gets better soon.
Thanks to all of you for your kindness.
sunshinejan

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.