Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!
I just saved a male, six month old maltese from a puppy mill.
He is an adorable little guy, but his coat is an absolute mess!!!! It seems to be all broken off and full of mats! I worked for hours today trying to get all the mats out, but it is way beyond me. I am taking him to the groomers in a few days,
My question is this Should I just have the groomer shave him down and start over, or should I have her salvage what she can ???
Thank-you all!!!

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Depends on how bad it is.If it's really bad ,I'd shave it down,who knows what the condition of the skin might be under the matts.... This way he gets a whole new change to grow out healthy and strong fur...
Bless you for taking this speical boy in,he's one lucky dude!

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Thank you for saving the precious little boy! I would have the groomer shave it off and start over. He has already been through so much and this would be much easier for him.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are all right,,shave him down.
I wanted to take him to the groomers right away, but I thought a few days of rest, and a vet visit first, would be the best idea.
I will take pics of him soon, and all along,,so everyone can see the transformation!!!

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Congratulations! I agree with the others, shaving down is the least stressful and kindest groom now. You can inquire with your groomer about a shampoo he/she recommends for Swiffer's coat type and skin condition. I would recommend EarthBath Puppy Shampoo, it's all natural and gentle. Just remember, it's important when you bathe to rinse, rinse, and rinse well. :)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Swiffer is such a cute name.
That is wonderful that you saved him!
I agree with the others advice,
that to shave him down and have a fresh start :) would be a good idea.
And it will grow back if you decide you want it longer.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
A tiny difference here--I'd recommend seeing if the groomer thinks she can save enough on the head to put in a topknot. I'm having a hard time with my rescue Butchie who, after 7 months, is still at the awkward stage of having the fur falling in his eyes, it's growing so slowly!

But if you think you wouldn't want a topknot style anyway, then nevermind! :) I'm sure he'll be cute no matter what style you choose. :)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
A tiny difference here--I'd recommend seeing if the groomer thinks she can save enough on the head to put in a topknot. I'm having a hard time with my rescue Butchie who, after 7 months, is still at the awkward stage of having the fur falling in his eyes, it's growing so slowly!

But if you think you wouldn't want a topknot style anyway, then nevermind! :) I'm sure he'll be cute no matter what style you choose. :)
Good point! Topknots take forever to grow and are a real pain while they are growing out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts