Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little girl Jasmine gets so stessed out over going to the groomer
that my husband and I figured we would try to do it oursleves
We went to Petsmart and bought all the stuff we would need. Well this sweet good tempered affectinate little9 lb furbaby turned into a she devil. How can something so small be so hard to hold on to
? She looked like she went thru a veg-a-matic. May be we should try a calming pill on her or something? What dose every one think.
BETTY

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by RAZMO@Feb 19 2005, 12:27 PM
Our little girl Jasmine gets so stessed out over going to the groomer
  that my husband and I figured we would try to do it oursleves
  We went to Petsmart and bought all the stuff we would need. Well this sweet good tempered affectinate little9 lb furbaby turned into a she devil. How can something so small be so hard to hold on to
? She looked like she went thru a veg-a-matic. May be we should try a calming pill on her or something? What dose every one think.
BETTY
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36339
[/QUOTE]
That made me crack up!!!!!

If she is already stressed from the groomer, it may take time for her to dis-associate the "grooming" and realize that it is ok when you do it....I would say, just stick with it. If you are like most of us first time groom-them-ourselfers...it is a HUGE learning process for you as well. I often think that it would be much easier if I didn't take so long. If I could KNOW what I was doing, and just get it done...Brinkley would be more patient too.
I know one thing that I am gonna try is putting him up on the table...(I have been doing it in the bathroom floor.) I looked into buying a fold-up grooming table from petedge with the arm and "loop" thing to hold him. They had a small one for 50 dollars or so..but them I found a suction cup arm with a "loop" that sticks on the table for like 9 dollars or something. So, I am gonna try that. When I have taken him to the groomer, he seemed to stand still better when that "loop" was around him...hopefully it will help us too.
Good luck...and hopefully if you stick with it and are patient and show her who is boss-she will settle down and "allow" you to get the job done.
As far as the messed up hair...just remember it will grow quick! I butchered Brinkley 2 weeks ago and I HATED it...but I was looking at him last night and realized that it had grown enough that I couldn't even tell anymore.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
try offering peanut butter at the same time you shave her. we give little Natural Balance treats. and then eventually we got to the point that we can do the whole grooming session and then give a treat. and see what works better....maybe she just doesnt like the shaver. maybe she'll do better if you just use scissors... it will take longer...but she wont be as stressed.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you are worried that she is over-stressing herself, getting a mild sedative from the vet while she learns you are okay to groom her may be a good idea. If she is a candidate for it, most vets will prescribe acepromazine which comes in a tablet. For some dogs, even benadryl is enough to take the edge off and relax them. A muzzle may help, too.

Desensitizing her to the whole situation is the best way to go, but is very time consuming. Start just putting her up on the table and giving her treats. Once she is calm for that, up on the table, petting her and giving her treats. Then have the clippers laying near by, closer and closer to her until she is comfortable having them run over her body turned off. Then you start over with them turned on. It takes quite a while as you have to do baby steps and be sure she is comfortable with each one before you move on (one step for 3-4 days, then another baby step up).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts