Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my puppy earlier today, and the breeder gave me treats, and both wet and dry food. The puppy will eat the dry food, but he wont drink the water.. he walks up to it and like sniffs it and runs away. Almost like he is scared, I tried putting it in a diffrent bowl, even though the bowl is the same as his food bowl, so It shouldn't be any diffrent. I've tried putting him up to it and letting his nose touch it so he knows what it is.. But nothing is working.

Anyone have any ideas? If so thanks, I'm going to call his breeder tomorrow and see if she has any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Perhaps the breeder had one of those pet bottles that she used with her puppies? It's kind of like the water bottle you'd see in a hamster cage, but MUCH bigger.

In the meantime, try getting his feet wet and see if he licks them.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy!!!

In regards to your question, is it tap water? If so, it may have chemicals such as chlorine that smell bad to the puppy. Get some purified water and try that.

Sometimes if Kallie and Catcher are out with me and won't drink from a strange bowl, I will put some water in a paper cup all the way to the top and they will drink it out of that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well We filter our water, so its still tap water but filtered, I have bottled water that I can try, I'm just so scared hes going to get dehydrated. I'm going to call his breeder later today It's still early, I dont thing she would mind but hes okay for now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scratch that, I just splashed the water in his face and then came back to the computer and i look over and hes drinking it! Thanks. Lol.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm glad to hear he is drinking finally
They go through a period of adjustment when they first get to their new home, so as long as it didn't go on too long it is normal. It is good to use distilled water for your Maltese, it has no chemicals etc. and can help with tearstaining around the eyes. I pay around $.59 for a gallon and it lasts awhile

When we brought our Indy home (we have wall to wall carpet in the house except for the kitchen and bath) he would not even put a paw on the floor that didn't have carpet
It took Indy two weeks before he would walk into the kitchen or bath!
Congratulations on your new Maltese
They are so loving and precious, you will be wrapped around his paws in no time

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Some dogs get very fussy about a change in their water and refuse to drink it. It's often recommended that you bring a supply of your own water when you travel with your dog for that reason.

Is your breeder close by? Can you get several bottles of water from her?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Last week when Sadie was feeling poorly, I put some water in a small syringe and shot it into her mouth, just to be safe. It made me feel better to know that she was getting some water when she wasn't eating.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Oct 11 2005, 01:26 AM
Last week when Sadie was feeling poorly, I put some water in a small syringe and shot it into her mouth, just to be safe.  It made me feel better to know that she was getting some water when she wasn't eating.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108314
[/QUOTE]
I did the same thing when Lexi was sick. I just got a medicine dropper from the baby department at Walmart. Otherwise you can get a disposable one at the pharmacy for free (I think).

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
We had a similar problem with Scooby when he was little and we took him to the water and dipped our finger in and he would lick the water from our finger, we kept doing this keeping our finger very close to the surface of the water till he finally began to lap from his bowl on his own, from then on he was just fine. We also found that he prefers to have his water in a stand just high enough that he doesn't have to bend down to drink.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts