Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,461 Posts
Ainsley, I agree w/Maggie above.
Most of us here have had a Bile Acids Assay (paired blood test for portosystemic liver shunt) at around 16 weeks done on our pups. It shows elevated liver enzymes & is a good test for later on should anything present itself. It also shows MVD in pups---very important test, and even more important in small dogs.
It may not sound like it, but you are in a safe place here. There is a lot of good if not great information on the maltese breed. We are not trying to sell you anything---we don't have a horse in that race. All of us have made mistakes from which we have all learned & this is a good group to be in in terms of love of the breed, and collected experience. Infact because it is a "breed designated" group--- we sometimes know move than your local vet. I say that w/humility but honesty. We all want what is best for you!

I would also respectfully say that these are tough little dogs. My Lisi had surgery at an amazing ER clinic this fall & I was told by her ICU nurse that everyone in the hospital was amazed at what a strong little girl she is---one of the strongest they have ever had there, if not THE strongest. There are some genetically unhealthy things in the maltese breed---we need to be vigilant & continue to educate ourselves to what those are & how to recognize them.
We don't all agree on everything, but we do agree that we are advocates for our own pups & for others who belong to the breed.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I would be a little suspicious of this breeder saying not to walk the puppy on a leash or let her have free reign of the house because she would use up too much energy????? A healthy puppy has endless energy and you need to give them exercise to burn off that energy just to keep them from getting into trouble. You just don't walk them outside until they have had all their puppy shots and don't give them free reign of the house until they are potty trained and until you know they won't get into anything that could be dangerous for them.
When Pipper was a puppy he had sooooo much energy that once I FINALLY got him to lay down for a nap I didn't move or didn't even breathe for fear of waking him up :HistericalSmiley: Even now at 8 years of age he is full of energy and we walk him for a few miles every day.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The breeder has been very transparent in saying that these puppies are extremely fragile and require very specialized care in order to remain healthy, so she's gone over the strict regimented feeding schedule for her as well as taking it very easy in the first year of life. For example, I am not to walk her outside on a leash or let her have free reign of the house because she could expend too much energy and risk hypoglycemia,
Oh wow, yet another major red flag *sigh*. Healthy, normal Maltese puppies are extremely playful and active when they come home at 12 weeks old and you wouldn't need to worry about hypoglycemia.

Yes, definitely get her bile acids done, as Sandi advised.

And where is the puppy now?? She was supposed to fly in from the Korean puppy mill on the 18th? When are you getting her?

Sorry if I come across as rude, but I'm just so deeply upset by this. I blame the mill and the dealer waaaaay more than you because I know you had no idea what you were getting into. I just hope and pray everything turns out okay.

·
Premium Member
17,461 Posts
Elizabeth, she said on 11/29 that she would be collecting the puppy in Jan. JFYI

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Elizabeth, she said on 11/29 that she would be collecting the puppy in Jan. JFYI
Okay. Why the loooong wait in between puppy's arrival and pickup?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks so much for the information, everyone! I am just going to have to see how her energy level and personality is once I get her. She is coming with all her shots though, so I'm glad to not have to worry about that. I will see about getting that bile acids test though!

From what I've read about tiny puppies, hypoglycemia is a common risk and they should be monitored carefully. I understand that you guys think that due to her size she is unhealthy. She currently weighs 1.23 pounds and will be 4 months old on the 27th. She was about .6 pounds around a month ago, so she does seem to be growing. Her dad is 3.75 pounds and the mom is 4 pounds, so I think she is just genetically small and not underfed. She seems full of energy in her videos.

The breeder hasn't expressly told me that the puppy is in Korea, I am just guessing that she is. But the breeder will be receiving her now on the 27th. She is flying here with her littermate and the other breeder (the Korean one I'm assuming) wants them both to be eating solid kibble before they leave their mother. Right now, their teeth are still coming in so their kibble still needs to be moistened a bit. But they said they should be good to fly by the 27th.

I am getting her on January 3rd because I will be going home to Dallas to visit my family for the holidays so I am waiting until I'm back in town in Los Angeles so that she doesn't have to go on an extra plane ride.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks so much for the information, everyone! I am just going to have to see how her energy level and personality is once I get her. She is coming with all her shots though, so I'm glad to not have to worry about that. I will see about getting that bile acids test though!

From what I've read about tiny puppies, hypoglycemia is a common risk and they should be monitored carefully. I understand that you guys think that due to her size she is unhealthy. She currently weighs 1.23 pounds and will be 4 months old on the 27th. She was about .6 pounds around a month ago, so she does seem to be growing. Her dad is 3.75 pounds and the mom is 4 pounds, so I think she is just genetically small and not underfed. She seems full of energy in her videos.

The breeder hasn't expressly told me that the puppy is in Korea, I am just guessing that she is. But the breeder will be receiving her now on the 27th. She is flying here with her littermate and the other breeder (the Korean one I'm assuming) wants them both to be eating solid kibble before they leave their mother. Right now, their teeth are still coming in so their kibble still needs to be moistened a bit. But they said they should be good to fly by the 27th.

I am getting her on January 3rd because I will be going home to Dallas to visit my family for the holidays so I am waiting until I'm back in town in Los Angeles so that she doesn't have to go on an extra plane ride.
How can the breeder not know where the puppy is? If this person is the *breeder* the puppies would be with her. Is this a broker or middleman that you've been talking with?
That weight of 1.23 pounds at 4 months is very concerning. I don't even know how that is possible.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

It is only a common risk in dogs that are bred too small. It is disgustingly unethical to breed a 3.75 lb dog to a 4 lb bitch. Ethical breeders use bitches who are on the highest end of the breed standard.

I'm not a breeder nor an expert on young puppies, but sounds like they're taking the puppy off of mom way too early. Those teeth should be in for WEEKS before the puppy is weaned.

That makes sense. Truly hoping for the best outcome for your sake and puppy's sake.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
How can the breeder not know where the puppy is? If this person is the *breeder* the puppies would be with her. Is this a broker or middleman that you've been talking with?
That weight of 1.23 pounds at 4 months is very concerning. I don't even know how that is possible.
Kayanne, it has been established that she is buying from a dealer. She realizes she has made a mistake and now everyone is hoping for the best for the little one.

·
Premium Member
17,461 Posts
Kayanne, it has been established that she is buying from a dealer. She realizes she has made a mistake and now everyone is hoping for the best for the little one.
:goodpost:

:ThankYou::ThankYou:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thank you Elisabeth and Sandi. :) <3

@Kayanne, The breeder (or broker/dealer/middleman/etc) knows where the dog is, I haven't explicitly asked, I am assuming the dog is in Korea.

Basically, I had originally found a Florida breeder and put in a deposit for an upcoming litter she had due in December. I then saw videos of the parents (I put in a deposit upon only seeing pictures of the parents) and realized they were a bit bigger than I thought. The breeder has a youtube channel with videos of her previous puppies/dogs, and there was a video of a precious full grown Maltese that was tiny and so I sent her the link to the video and asked if she would be having any puppies that would be closer to that size full grown soon. She then said that her breeder friend used one of her dogs as a stud and so she was able to choose a puppy from that litter to sell as like "payment" for her friend using her dog as the stud. The puppy was much smaller and the parents were smaller so she assured me it would be closer to the size of the dog in the video. I assumed that this was another local Florida breeder since she claimed her dog was used as the stud.
However, I now realize that this is in fact not another local breeder and is most likely a dog from a Korean breeder. I feel awful if this is in fact a puppy mill that I have unknowingly supported, but I'm hoping that she's being kept in nice conditions. I believe she is, since they are taking special care to not take her from her mother too soon and not have her fly while she is still so small.

I do also want to add that I truly love and adore animals and care very much about their health and wellbeing. In fact, I am vegan for this fact and am always advocating for animal welfare. I thought I had done enough research going into the puppy buying process, but clearly there were some red flags that I missed. I am taking as many precautions as I can from this point forward to insure I can care for this little fur baby in the best way possible and am going to be extra cautious about her health since she is so tiny and fragile.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Ainsley, I think I understand what you're saying now, which is that the person you've been talking with says she is a breeder, but not the breeder of the puppy you're getting, which is most likely coming from Korea.
At any rate, I do wish you luck with this little puppy and I hope all goes smoothly and happily.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
@Kayanne Yes exactly, kind of a confusing story to follow haha! Thank you so much, I hope so too!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts