Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to training for acro on Wednesday night and did a skill that I do EVERY class... something went wrong and I dislocated my knee. Possible partial medial ligament tear too... have to wait until I can weight bear and walk on it before I get an xray to confirm permanent injury, but I'm out of the competition that I have been working so hard for, I have to get expensive physio etc, I'm on crutches for I don't know how long, I'm in a lot of pain and they are estimating 3 months for recover!

I am currently on panadiene forte for the pain, but I swear it isn't working - I'm still in pain!

Does anyone have any ideas for me? pain relief, treatment, sanity... anything??

This is has completely thrown my life and my short term plans out of whack... I'm completely dumbfounded and lost.... and hurting!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by puppylucy@Mar 26 2005, 07:48 AM
Ohh I feel so bad for you.

I can't say anything that I hope you recover asap and I'll be thinking of you
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46391
[/QUOTE]

Thanks

I'm just so down in the dumps because of it. I don't even know where to start with how I'm feeling and everything...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Hope you are feeling better soon.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Did your doctor suggest heat or cold on your knee? Is there anything that can distract you from the pain? Legally? haha
If the meds aren't working, call your doctor and tell him. There are all kinds of pain killers out there.
Hang in there,
Ann

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That sounds awful, i am like the queen of joint injuries i am only 16 and couldnt even give you a definate number of how many times i have broken my ankles let alone messing up my knee or elbow lol. Use should deffiently call the doctor if the pain meds arnt working i am allergic to most pain meds so when i hurt anything they give me morphin lol but honestly i wouldnt recommed taking that if you have other options, it made me sleep so much last time i got dehydrated becuase i was sleep for like 22 hours every day so i ended up back in the er. I dont see why you need to wait till you can walk on it to get an x-ray though i mean that would take a really long time depending whats wrong with it. Could you just rent a wheelchair and have someone drive you do a doctor or the er to go get it x-rayed? If you call your doctor he might write you a prescription for a wheelchair then your insurance might pay for it. But one way or another rents some movies or get some books get comfy in bed and just try to think about other things

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this! I hope you get well soon girl!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your kind messages.

I'm still feeling pretty yucky. I've decided to flatly refuse the panadiene forte from now on. It has made me so sick since I started taking it. I get cold sweats and feel dizzy and like I'm going to vomit everywhere, so I'd rather just put up with the pain!

I don't really understand why I have to wait for the xray... I mean until the swelling went down yes, but until I can walk on it? What's the point of that?!

Anyways, it will be five days ago tomorrow, so I think I will go to the physio first thing on Tuesday or Wednesday and then see what he says. If he sends me to get the xrays then good. Otherwise I don't really know what I'll do.

The most annoying part of it all is the loss of independence! It's hard to do stuff on my own - I haven't been home since I did the injury because I can't even drive my car! It sucks big time!

I'm getting there, but I'm at that whole feeling sorry for myself stage... it even annoys me, so I'd hate to think what others think. I'm really worried cos it's gonna be like 3 months until I'm back on my feet - and I'm really scared I'm gonna pack on the weight and lose fitness etc... I've nearly gone crazy with 5 days of not being able to get around easily (Geesh I can't even get a glass of water and take it back to my seat cos I can't carry it with my crutches!!!
), I just can't imagine how frustrating it's going to be for the next couple of months!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I dislocated my kneecap when I was 16 and the remedy then was a full leg cast! Yes! CAn you believe it? Cast and crutches for 6 weeks or so.....it was so long ago I can barely remember it. I remember I liked the codeine, though.

I have trouble with that knee to this day. I would bet treatment has come a long way since then and you will have a full recovery. Best Wishes.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, I can just imagine the pain.... just last night I banged my knee on my desk and the pain was so bad, it took my breath away. Thankfully, it didn't last long at all. I am so sorry for the situation you're in and hope that you get some relief soon.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much everyone for your kind thoughts.

Today has been a rather "up" day for me.

I managed to ditch the crutches for the whole day (okay so they were in close range and I spent most of the day sitting - but who cares!?!??! LOL) and I even drove my car!
Don't ask me how I am managing this 6 days after the event, but hey, I'm not complaining!

My knee is swollen and quite sore now, but I'm pretty proud of the effort...

I may not be able to last out tomorrow because my knee may still be recovering... but that has to be good news as far as any permanent injury etc...

Thanks again everyone... I'll keep you posted on it all - I imagine it will be an up & down, LONG road to full recovery! But I'm soooo happy with progress so far!!! :D

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I meant to add that the ambulance officer said that what really helped was that 1. we applied ice within like a minute or two of it happening and 2. ambos got there really quickly and were able to put it back in place quickly. In total it was probably dislocated for 5-10 minutes. Apparently that was the best thing that could have happened and will help in a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Hope you'll be up and around very soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts