Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me find a diet that I can actually stick to?

I've never been on a "diet" before, I don't want to do a diet I cannot live with. When I want to loose weight, I stop eating. I just eat like 1 bag of peanuts a day for a week or so and I will loose like 10 pounds.

I don't want to do this anymore, I want to loose weight and be healthy!

Im getting so fat! My boyfriend doesn't get off untill 6pm and doesn't make it to my house untill like 7:30, so I eat so late and plus I eat earlier in the day!

im so confused, do I eat lots of little meals or three big meals? HELP!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Check out the south beach diet. It recommends eating breakfast, midmorning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, supper and dessert. It is not a starvation diet. If you are interested PM or email me and I can give you some websites to check out.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
my sister started selling Herablife. and i like the diet because you dont have to think. you take 2 shakes and one meal. i've already lost 10 lbs this month....and i cheated a few times. lol. AND the only excercise i do is walking. so its all good. yesterday my plan was:

shake for breakfast, carrots for a snack, steak for lunch, low carb soup for snack, and a shake for dinner.

today so far:

shake for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and then when i get home at 2:30pm---i'll have a snack, and then at around 6pm i'll have a shake. and maybe after that i'll have a soup or something.

and the shakes..i put some banana and a little bit of hershey cocoa...and it seriously tastes like a banana shake.

anyway, its great because you dont have to think about what you're going to eat.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds smart sherly

But my eating is just so messed up, its like I wish I could start over. I only know how to eat a whole lot or nothing at all. I can go for three weeks just eating a bag of peanuts a day and maybe like a peice of chicken or something. Then after I start eating regularly, I eat everything in sight

I'm really skrewed up...

·
Registered
894 Posts
I stick to Weight Watchers. I was able to lose 65 lbs last year and have kept it off. I walk about 4-5 times a week, 3 miles each time. I really hated walking at first, now I can't stand it unless I'm out there!! In fact, last October I participated in the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 3-Day event, we walked 60 miles in 3 days and raised money to support Breast Cancer research. Weight Watchers is a very healthy, common sense diet. You don't have to do any special cooking or buy special foods.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
The only way to lose weight and keep it off is to reduce caloric intake while buring excess calories. There are tons of ways to do this. You can try to eat less...like leaving half your sandwich or eat only half a salad (believe it or not, most have very high calorie counts). Or you can try to eat more valuable foods, and stay away from candies, cookies, crackers and the like. Peanuts are actually very good for you on many levels. But you should balance your high protein intake with lots of green leafies and fruits. When I feel like I'm getting a bit tight in the tush, I use the save it rule. Also, never ever skip eating breakfast when you are dieting. Skipping meals can actually slow down your metabolism and make weight loss even more difficult. You should probably speak with your physcian before you try to undertake any serious weight loss, say more than 10 pounds. There maybe underlying issues causing the weight gain. Good luck.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Weight Watchers can get expensive for sure with all the meetings. I just went to meeting #1 and got all the information and the books they pass out. I hate meetings of ANY kind, I'm in meetings all the time at work. Besides, I didn't need someone being a "cheerleader" for my weight loss and especially if I had to pay for it!! LOL.....I knew what I wanted to do and I went for it. You sound like you are to that point now, that's 1/2 the battle!! It's not easy losing weight. But if you set your mind to it and "visualize" thinner, it'll work for you. I bought these cute little capri stretch work-out pants that I "saw" myself walking in. I left them hanging out where I could see them EVERY TIME I WENT TO THE FRIDGE!! Yup, they hung right there next to the refrigerator!! Every time I went in there to grab something I had to ask myself
?? Is this going to help me get into those pants??

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Lettuce is a great thing to eat when trying to loose weight. It is considered a "negative calorie" food, meaning you burn more cals digesting it than what you bring in by eating it. Fat free dressing doesnt taste the best, but if you can eat it that way thats great, Light dressing isn't bad at all. Infact, that is all my husband and I eat on our salads is Light Ranch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hiya, im sorry that your feeling so bad about your weight just now. I have been there too but you honestly dont look fat at all!!!

Sisses Momma - nice to meet another weight watchers girlie!!

I joined weight watchers online (UK) last April. I had wanted to lose 11lbs but ended up losing around 20lbs...although that made me look a little too skinny so gained 5lbs back. I found weight watchers really easy to stick to , you can eat anything and everything just so long as you keep within your points. Its great if you like to eat or drink out often too, just so long as u have the points you can eat what you like. Ive done most of the diets under the sun in the last 4 years and can honestly say weight watchers is the only one thats really worked and ive managed to keep the weight off.

Im sure you must get weight watchers magazines over there? To be honest I think you will find most of what you need in a magazine or two instead of paying the price of online or meetings. Plus there shouls be a chart in there which will tell you your 'goal weights' for your height so you will know how much you can lose safely

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Mar 3 2005, 07:16 PM
Lettuce is a great thing to eat when trying to loose weight.  It is considered a "negative calorie" food, meaning you burn more cals digesting it than what you bring in by eating it.  Fat free dressing doesnt taste the best, but if you can eat it that way thats great, Light dressing isn't bad at all.  Infact, that is all my husband and I eat on our salads is Light Ranch.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39717
[/QUOTE]
Be careful though when watching calories, because some light and fat free salad dressings have "hidden" calories. They may be fat free, but many have a fairly high calorie and/or carb content. The best thing to put on a salad when counting calories is simple oil, vinegar and herbs. You can add some dijon for flavor. I love to put flavorful goodies in my salads like anise root, blood oranges, and yes peanuts and walnuts. Nuts give a lot of flavor and provide a good amount of protein as well as "good" fats.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Mar 3 2005, 07:16 PM
Lettuce is a great thing to eat when trying to loose weight.  It is considered a "negative calorie" food, meaning you burn more cals digesting it than what you bring in by eating it.  Fat free dressing doesnt taste the best, but if you can eat it that way thats great, Light dressing isn't bad at all.  Infact, that is all my husband and I eat on our salads is Light Ranch.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39717
[/QUOTE]

Another salad/dressing trick you can use is to NOT put your dressing on the salad...put it on the side...dip your fork in the dressing and THEN stab you a bite of salad. You get enough of the dressing to taste, but not enough to kill you with calories.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, you can have a shake for breakfast and lunch and a meal for dinner. you can even have a shake for lunch and dinner and a meal for breakfast. you can buy a paket of EVERYTHING you need for under $200...and it lasts for a whole month.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I am also a Weight Watchers girl!!

I went in wanting to loose the 15 pounds I gained after college... I have now lost 22.8 since November 3! I love WW! Since I joined my friend, cousin, mom, dad and brother have also started up and so it is interesting to get different points of view on the two plans.
I personally have not had one thought about WW being hard. I haven't felt deprived of any food, drinks, etc.

Okay, the whole group listed above calls me the Weight Watchers Police, but whenever they need me I'm there for them!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Just wanted to share something I've learned since starting my diet. Iceburg Lettuce has almost no nutrients in it. If you are going to have a salad you are better off using another type of lettuce like romaine or have a spinich salad.

Oh, another thing that has helped me is to only keep things in my apartment that I can eat. Its harder to cheat if there is nothing in the apartment that is bad for you.

The South Beach Diet was actually created to improve the health of your heart. The weight loss is just an added benefit. You are cutting out sugars and process foods (like white bread and stuff). The one thing I like is that I don't have to count things. If you are hungry eat, you just eat stuff that is approved for the diet.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I feel your pain Brit's Mom! I have always watched my weight but as the years crept up on me, the weight did too and I had to diet. I lost 7 pounds on Atkins over a year ago and kept it off with a modified version, cutting out white bread, white rice, white potatoes and sugar. Good so far.

Then came the holidays and my daughters edict: NO DIETING DURING MY HOLIDAY VISITS WITH THEM! We were going to enjoy our brief times together and that included cooking, baking and eating........well, the 7 pounds came back over the November-December and now into February Valentines Day and then Girl Scout Cookies and there was just no end to it once the floodgates had been opened.

I feel awful, miserable and bad! But what I wanted to caution all of you who watch your figures about is CALCIUM! As a result of being thin most of my life simply because I didn't eat very much, I have osteoporosis. Which, had I been taking calcium supplements along with the excercise that I always did, I would likely not have today. So those of you in your 20's, 30's and so on. Take calcium supplements. You may get about 300 mg in your normal diet but you need 1200 to 1500, depending upon your age. Your body can't absorb it all in one fell swoop so spread your dosage out and take 1 tablet more than your RDR because your body won't absorb the entire dosage in a tablet either.

This disease is very scary! I used to climb ladders to paint, hang curtains, clean windows, etc. and I just can't afford a fall or a broken bone so I have had to curtail those activities. Now I know why these old people walk so carefully......I ARE one!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
A doctor told one of my friends that you should take magnesium with your calcium. It will help your body absorb more of the calcium. I guess you can get some calcium pills that have magnesium in them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts