Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in Alexandria, VA & tonight we took an engorged Lone Star, female tick off Lisi. We have been here since Wed. & I have not been spraying her or Kitzi as ticks are normally active until Sept. here. She has a large lump under the skin where the tick was attached. I would not have noticed it when I groomed her the last couple of days as it is exactly where her micro chip is always felt.

We are going to go back to Annapolis tomorrow to try & get her in to a vet but the one we used once for Kitzel is not taking new patients due to Covid. We will try anyway! I got the tick (w/head attached out) & put it in a jar---it is alive & moving! I am certain about what kind it is, etc. & they carry some nasty stuff. Please pray the vet will see us in spite of their restrictions & be able to diagnose & treat her. I think she will need doxy for a month---hopefully we won't be dealing w/RMSF. (this tick does not carry Lyme disease).

As of early Tues I am on my own here as D will be traveling abroad for work---prayers appreciated! This poor girl doesn't get a break!

·
Premium Member
Pat & Maggie (& Casey too!)
1,667 Posts
Oh Sandi, I'm so sorry to hear this. I have no advice but want you to know that I will keep Lisi in my prayers. My heart goes out to you.

·
Super Moderator
10,334 Posts
Sandi, please remember that they won't likely be able to test for any TBD for a few weeks and may not want to start her on antibiotics before they know what they are dealing with. Hopefully having the actual tick will let them make some educated guesses and get her started on treatment sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It took 10 days for Kitzi to exhibit any distress when we lived in Greece & they got Ehrlichiosis & Babisia---the vet thought even then it was too early to test him but I insisted since I saw him at his worst. Sure enough he had high numbers.
She is acting fine---ate her breakfast, slept well, etc. I have not tried to touch or look at the lump yet but will after brecckie. We did research vets & our options seem a bit limited since some vets are not taking anyone who isn't a present client due to Covid. I know we can find someone even if we have to drive up to Arnold where Lisi saw a vet when our DD lived across the river. I am not quite as ruffled as I was last night---everything seems worse when we are tired & it is dark. I still appreciate all the prayers that she will be ok---she has fought such a hard fight! We love her so much.
The tick is still alive!

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Maggie & Maggie---so appreciate your advice & prayers.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Prayers will be lifted up for Lisi and you as well Sandi!! Sure hope that under the circumstances, a Vet will be caring and very understanding and will see Lisi. Sorry to see that you have to deal with this by yourself since Dwight will be traveling abroad. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,119 Posts
Sending prayers for Lisi. Finding a tick is one of my fears. Not sure how I would react if I found one. I think I would freak out. I HATE bugs.

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lisi's lump is slowly going down---now about the size of a nickle but much thicker, and not as hard as it was last night. We did not get back to Annapolis in time to see the vet---did not realize they close at noon on Sundays---so left a msg on their phone for tomorrow. I am mainly looking for advice at this point. I don't think anyone will do much until the "waiting period" is up unless she shows symptoms earlier.

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chapter II
Marco found a spot on the top of Kitzi's head where it is bloody like he also got bit---but no tick. I think that the tick that fed on him was transferred to Lisi because on T-giving night she was sleeping w/her head on his upper back for several hours. It is that side of her where we found the tic just below her neck. So now I am watching both! We treated K's wound & will wait 7 days (after research) before testing---that is the earliest RMSF could show in the blood work. I will talk w/the vet's office tomorrow & see what they sugggest---still no symptoms!

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just read this good news!
" The saliva from lone star ticks can be irritating; redness and discomfort at a bite site does not necessarily indicate an infection."

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,086 Posts
Do you have a picture of the tick?

Sandi it typically takes 36 hours of attachment for a tick to transmit Lyme: Transmission of Lyme disease | CDC.

Preventive measure now is a single dose of antibiotic soon after the bite.

I am sorry you are going through this. Mostly likely it will not be an issue.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this about your babies, Cody had an engorged tick when he was a baby and the tick was on him overnight until the next day when I found it. If I remember correctly my vet told me that they have to be on the dog a certain amount of time before transmission. I hope both Babies are okay!! I will say prayers!

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Sandi it typically takes 36 hours of attachment for a tick to transmit Lyme: Transmission of Lyme disease | CDC.

Walter,
I actually have the tick in a small jar. It is definitely a lone star tick, female (male doesn't have the white spot) & they don't carry Lyme disease. I am more afraid of Rocky Mt. Spotted Fever. It does not have to be attached so long for this to be transmitted. I think K maybe got the tick on Wed & transmitted it to her T-giving night when she laid & slept w/her head on his upper head & neck. He has an ugly spot (was bleeding yesterday) on the very top of his head. I think that anything untoward will appear by this coming wk-end but it could take a few days beyond that. I am not sure if he got the tick in Annapolis or Fairfax county, VA. We will just speak w/vet & observe until we have reason to take further action---that is about all we can do!
(2-96 hrs attachment for RMSF only)
"Though an unfed tick must attach to your pup for more than 10 hours, if a tick has already fed the disease can be transmitted in as little as 10 minutes after attaching." (internet site)

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is probably when Lisi got her tick from Kitzi!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Wood Comfort

Reactions: Coster

·
Registered
51 Posts
We are in Alexandria, VA & tonight we took an engorged Lone Star, female tick off Lisi. We have been here since Wed. & I have not been spraying her or Kitzi as ticks are normally active until Sept. here. She has a large lump under the skin where the tick was attached. I would not have noticed it when I groomed her the last couple of days as it is exactly where her micro chip is always felt.

We are going to go back to Annapolis tomorrow to try & get her in to a vet but the one we used once for Kitzel is not taking new patients due to Covid. We will try anyway! I got the tick (w/head attached out) & put it in a jar---it is alive & moving! I am certain about what kind it is, etc. & they carry some nasty stuff. Please pray the vet will see us in spite of their restrictions & be able to diagnose & treat her. I think she will need doxy for a month---hopefully we won't be dealing w/RMSF. (this tick does not carry Lyme disease).

As of early Tues I am on my own here as D will be traveling abroad for work---prayers appreciated! This poor girl doesn't get a break!
I'm glad the tick was intact and you were able to put it in a jar as this will help the vet. So scary..... Sending prayers and good thoughts to you and your babies. Please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I think we may be 3-5 days out since the tick attached---so far so good! Lisi is normal except for the liquid swelling on the left side of her neck. It is sensitive to the touch. I did give her a bath this aft. to get off some of the antibiotic we had applied on Sat. night. I also gave K a bath to wash some of the blood off where he was apparently bitten. We are not out of the woods for a while but are encouraged.
There is a vet just up the street & an ER clinic about 5 min. away so we should be in good hands should we need either. The ER is 24 hr. hospital so that is great.

Reactions: Coster

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,086 Posts
That is great. So glad no problems developed.

Reactions: edelweiss

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Test results came back today---sent to outside lab---negative for tick borne disease for both pups! Expensive but brings peace of mind for now at least. Could still develop but not likely!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts