Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a really stressful day and I let Louis out and he seemed fine. He peed and then layed down. I usually give him yogurt in the afternoons as a snack but he wouldn't eat it. Its his favorite and he usually comes running when he hears the container open but today he didn't move. I finally brought it to him and he sill wouldn't eat it.
Finally he got up and started wandering around aimlessly before throwing up twice. It was a MASSIVE amount both times. I want to say combined it was the size of my fist. It was brown and looked like his breakfast. His stomache seems to be tight, almost rigid, not the soft squishyness it usually is. He also feels really thin right now.
Should I take him into the vet? They have an open appt at 7:30. I'm so worried, he's never thrown up like this before.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
oh dear, poor louis- i know how worried you are. Myas sick tonight too and am hating not being able to do anything tonight - its going on 1-pm here so will have to wait till morning to get in touch with the vet if shes not better. Id go for the appointment just to get him checked out. I hope hes ok...let us know how he gets on xxx

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I'd get him to the vet. How old is Louis? Could he have eaten something outside? You know that you won't rest until he's checked out. Let us know and hoping it's nothing.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Louis is 16 months. I doubt he ate anything while I was gone. He was in his playpen the whole time. I squirted some water in his mouth and that seemed to help. He got up and drank some more water by himself. I think I want to wait a bit longer before deciding to take him in. I think the culprit might be the pollen in the air. DC is COVERED with yellow dust and its been extra windy the past two days. He did get some fresh air late last night when I was taking a breather from my paper. Honestly I dont think he digested any of his food today. I fed him at 7 in the morning and its 5:15 now. From the looks of it I think he threw it all up. He even feels lighter.

I hope Mya's okay! Are there any emergency vet clinics nearby? It might ease your mind to get her checked out now.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Christina - I know what you mean about DC. I just came back last night from three days there and my throat felt like it was coated with pollen as well as my nose. We looked out the window and it looked like it was snowing...tree petals and pollen.:w00t::w00t: Let us know what you decide and how he's doing.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Now this is only my opinion. I would not take him to the vet just yet. My malt throws up her breakfast when she either eats too fast or when she eats too many kibbles at a time and she swallows a few whole without chewing.
If the vomitting persists and he is not eating at all then a trip to the vet would be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Definately could be the pollen! We got it horrible down here. My Sheltie didn't even touch her food this morning! Hubby let her out late last night and she refused to come in for him,so he left her out there. She was sneezing something horrible and her left eye was goopy when I let her in this morning.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Poor little guy. :( It's so hard seeing them with tummy aches, especially when they feel so light. :(

This is gross, but is it remotely possible that he may have eaten his poop? I know, it's sick...but London is a poop eater and if she poops in the house and eats it before I realize, she will usually get sick later on and throw up and it will be brown. Eww. I just wanted to make that suggestion, in case it's possible. Hopefully that's not what it is. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After speaking with my vet, I decided to hold off on taking him in. She told me to watch for a few things like if he seems confused, continues vomting, for just doesnt see like himslf. We just took a nap and he seems ALOT better. I think hes going to be fine but I'm definately giving him something mild for dinner. Im considering soaking his kibble and adding some organic baby food. I keep some on hand because he had a sensitive stomach when he was little. If he didnt have a snack before bed or his stomach got too empty he would throw up bile. Im definately keeping him inside until this pollen settles, I hoping the rain/thunder storm will wash alot of it down and out. Thank you so much for all the concern!

Louis is now happily sleeping in my bed. What a spoiled little baby just cause his mommy got worried.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts