Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to go away for 5 days leaving Preston with my husband and daughter. Neither of them seemed to know to brush him. My husband decided to bathe him so he'd be nice and clean for my arrival. He didn't brush him before the bath, and blow dried him without a brush after! His chest is horribly matted so I sprayed him with diluted conditioner (dove) and worked on the matts. Then I noticed the area of skin around one of his chest bones is bald! Could this be from matting? What should I do? Should I brush him dry, keep using diluted conditioner, moraccanoil????? :unsure:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
For regular brushing you should always mist the coat. Plain water works for some, others need a conditioner spray.
So long as the hair grows back in that area and the skin is normal, I wouldn't do anything.
Because of how the hair lays some dogs do look like they are missing hair on their chest when they really are not.
Once the matting is out I would rebathe him...leaving a lot of conditioner in the coat could lead to more matting.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
The bald place could be from a mat. I don't have much to tell you other than your sig pic is just precious!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I've been reading other posts on matting and it sounds like Cowboy Magic Detangler & Shine is something I should get immediately. Yes????

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Preston is too cute in your siggy pic. :wub: I just had to tell you. lol

If you're able to get the mats out, that's great! I tried Cowboy Magic once, and it didn't work for me. It was far too greasy for me to work with it, and even though I shampooed London twice after using it, she still came out all stringy and greasy looking in the spot I had used it. I do know a few people say it works well on here, just not for me I guess. I use Nature's Specialties Quicker Slicker as a grooming spray and also as a mat remover, (in fact, I just used it on a small mat London had today), and it combed out in less than a minute.

The other option is to cut the mats out, which I have done before if they are really close to the skin. Their hair grows so fast it's not a big deal to me.

Preston may have pulled at one of his mats to try and get it out and pulled out a small chunk of hair causing the bald spot. It happens...and just watch the area to make sure it grows back. If it does, then that is what caused it. :)

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Darling picture of your malt.......Keep on getting the tangles out and stay updated everyday on the mats and it wil be fine!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the info and compliments.

Can I use tap water for misting or do I need to use distilled? Also, When I bath his head I am using baby shampoo but I know that's very drying. What should I be using? And where do I buy Spa Lavish Facial Scrub? Only online?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I once left Pepper with ex DH for about 8 days and she was tangled and matted because he ddn't have a clue how to properly brush and comb a malt in full coat. So I can sympathize with the problem...kinda makes me fearful of having to go anywhere I can't bring the dog...LOL!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Preston has a puppy cut and an easy coat. I didn't think that could be messed up. He left the harness on the entire time I was gone. It's not the strappy kind but more like a vest on the chest.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Preston has a puppy cut and an easy coat. I didn't think that could be messed up. He left the harness on the entire time I was gone. It's not the strappy kind but more like a vest on the chest.

:smilie_tischkante: OH!!!! Men!!!!! I'd never leave Ava home alone with my husband!!! But she's in full coat. The other three don't matt, but I'd be really MAD if he left their harness vests on!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrr :angry:

I sympathize with you! :unsure: if the matts are on his belly, why don't you just cut them out? The hair will grow back and you won't really see it on the underside.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
This is what I'm afraid of...going out of town in August for ten days, leaving my Rocky with my husband...I wonder if I get him groomed right before I leave and then ask my husband to get him groomed before I get home will help. I have not found a good groomer yet..thinking of mobile ones so they don't have to wait hours...I could never leave him that long. Thinking of him sitting in a crate breaks my heart. I tried once to groom him myself and it looked choppy. Any suggestions to what I am doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
First I have to say that your baby is adorable. Second Izzy mats horribly and all her tangles just slip right out when I bathe her in Pure Paws. For the most part they don't come back or if they do they come out very easily.. It's the best product I've used.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
First I have to say that your baby is adorable. Second Izzy mats horribly and all her tangles just slip right out when I bathe her in Pure Paws. For the most part they don't come back or if they do they come out very easily.. It's the best product I've used.
The mats come out with the shampoo or the conditioner? I have the Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner, but I haven't tried it yet. What kind of shampoo should I get. Poppy also mats under his armpits and on his legs.

Big HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
The mats come out with the shampoo or the conditioner? I have the Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner, but I haven't tried it yet. What kind of shampoo should I get. Poppy also mats under his armpits and on his legs.

Big HUGz! Jules
Jules be sure and dilute the conditioner 50/50 or stronger if the matting is a problem. The directions will say 8 to 10 parts water but that is too weak for a Maltese coat. For the Maltese coat you can use the Recontructing shampoo or Oatmeal & Aloe and once a month the Brightening to brighten the coat.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most of the mats were on his chest. I was able to comb some out and I ended up cutting the rest. It's not noticeable. IF I had to leave him again with my husband/daughter, I would leave written instructions. I assumed he wouldn't leave the harness on, and I assumed he wouldn't bathe him (who would think?) Don't assume anything!

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
The PurePaws Ultra Shine spray is great for getting matts out with minimal hair loss. Also, Jackie mentioned it but I thought I'd go back to it. Often on the chest, the way the hair lays make it appear that there is a bald spot. You often don't notice it until right after they are groomed and the groomer has run a clipper down their chest. So the bald spot on the chest could be that.

Big HUGz! Jules
Hey Jules...I answered your question on this thread the other day.:thumbsup: But like Ed said, be sure to only dilute 50/50 to start with and then go from there as to whether your little guy needs it to be stronger or not.

The Silk Cream really helps to get matts out and the PurePaws Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner and Oatmeal Conditioner help to prevent new ones. I've found for my two, what works best is to mix 1 ounce of which ever conditioner you choose with 1 ounce of the Silk. Then add 2-4 ounces of warm water and mix. :two thumbs up:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The PurePaws Ultra Shine spray is great for getting matts out with minimal hair loss. Also, Jackie mentioned it but I thought I'd go back to it. Often on the chest, the way the hair lays make it appear that there is a bald spot. You often don't notice it until right after they are groomed and the groomer has run a clipper down their chest. So the bald spot on the chest could be that.

Hey Jules...I answered your question on this thread the other day.:thumbsup: But like Ed said, be sure to only dilute 50/50 to start with and then go from there as to whether your little guy needs it to be stronger or not.

The Silk Cream really helps to get matts out and the PurePaws Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner and Oatmeal Conditioner help to prevent new ones. I've found for my two, what works best is to mix 1 ounce of which ever conditioner you choose with 1 ounce of the Silk. Then add 2-4 ounces of warm water and mix. :two thumbs up:
I don't know how I missed that! :blink:

Okay, now I know what to get ... thanks to you and Ed!!

HUGz! Jules

1 - 20 of 25 Posts