Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I did what I thought was allll my research. I spent a year deciding researching on and off and then two months looking into buying my Maltese.
I got her at 9 weeks and 4 days. she was well trained considering on her pads. she is now 10 weeks and 3 days.
I don't know what I've done wrong but I feel she is already ruling me.
she loved her crate when she first arrived. I haven't slept all week because the first couple of nights I was worried about her but then she would get out the crate and cry I would pet her put her back and she would be fine. Last night she just wouldn't settle and she went mad trying to get on my bed and cried with the highest pitch I've ever heard. I did the ignore tactic then she weed and pooped off her pad on the floor at the end of my bed. she was running around running up to my bed trying to jump I thought she was going to hurt herself
I ended up having to put her in with me I was so tired and I know I shouldn't of given in. she was so distressed. then she was fine on my bed.
I just don't know the best way to deal with her behaviour wise. she is very nippy and jumpy when she gets hyper she follows everywhere. doesn't want me to be on the sofa without her. I just don't know what to do. I was so happy that she loved her crate now she isn't fond of it. and then when she isn't all of this she is the sweetest cutest thing!
I know this is a lot but any advice on anything or any websites recommended for me to read up on please advise.
Thank you x

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,046 Posts
You could try putting the crate right next to your bed so that every time she cries you can reach your hand in to comfort her. You could also try covering 3 sides of the crate with something that has your scent on it. I'm sure others here will have more suggestions that will help. Don't worry, there are ways to get her to enjoy to sleeping her her crate.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,875 Posts
For a maltese, 9 weeks is very early to be taken from their litter. She is very young. Maltese are also breed to be companion dogs, so they want to be near you all the time. Kathy has some good suggestions. I have never crated a dog, they have always slept on my bed from day one. Remember she is a baby and like a human baby needs patience.

·
Super Moderator
10,261 Posts
Both replies have had good advice. 9 weeks is WAY too young to leave the litter - for a toy breed dog, responsible ethical breeders follow the American Maltese Association code of ethics which is no younger than 12 weeks. That allows more time for growth and maturity.

PLEASE for the sake of your puppy, find a trainer who is a behaviorist - do not go to a pet store or big box store for this. The IAABC or CCPDT web sites can help you find one. A vet who has additional training in animal behavior can help as well.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I am not great with this, because my babies always slept in my bed with me. If my husband and I go away, we usually bring her. 2 times a year my kids take care of her. They will have her sleep with them. Funny part is she likes her crate. We do put her in it when my grandbabies are here because she is so little. 2.8 pounds. Another thing we used in the beginning was a puppy playpen. I think it made everything much easier. It is now folded away. My other Maltese died in an unexpected accident. She had a neurological issue, so legs were wobbly, and fell down the stairs. Safety is my biggest thing with these babies. So I understand how upset you were hearing her jumping at your bed. This is what the gate at the top of my stairs now looks like. Ari could fit through the slats of a baby gate. I also keep a litterbox in my bedroom and she has soft padded doggie stairs to go up and down. It is the only room in my house with carpet. I will continue to have carpet for her. I hope this helps. They are such snuggle bugs. I struggle getting my daily runs in, or house chores because she would prefer me to hold and snuggle her. The item I placed below is great when I go somewhere. I put her in it, she eats and goes potty. I would not leave her alone in it, and it is not waterproof.
Screenshot_20200904-094108.png
20201206_095414.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could try putting the crate right next to your bed so that every time she cries you can reach your hand in to comfort her. You could also try covering 3 sides of the crate with something that has your scent on it. I'm sure others here will have more suggestions that will help. Don't worry, there are ways to get her to enjoy to sleeping her her crate.
thank you so much for taking the time to reply. The crate is next to my bed. My bed is quite high though. I also have covered it and she can still see me if she needed to. I just feel she was fine in it then now she just wants to be with me. Thank you again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a maltese, 9 weeks is very early to be taken from their litter. She is very young. Maltese are also breed to be companion dogs, so they want to be near you all the time. Kathy has some good suggestions. I have never crated a dog, they have always slept on my bed from day one. Remember she is a baby and like a human baby needs patience.
Oh wow is it really ! I’m so shocked as the woman I got her from was amazing I was so impressed. She knew so much. But advised it was best for her to go no later than 10 weeks as they get too attached to their surroundings. Aw that really saddens me. I do feel she just needs to be with me but I worries sleeping in my bed would create a bad behaviour ? Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. Is it right that the first two weeks is the hardest ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both replies have had good advice. 9 weeks is WAY too young to leave the litter - for a toy breed dog, responsible ethical breeders follow the American Maltese Association code of ethics which is no younger than 12 weeks. That allows more time for growth and maturity.

PLEASE for the sake of your puppy, find a trainer who is a behaviorist - do not go to a pet store or big box store for this. The IAABC or CCPDT web sites can help you find one. A vet who has additional training in animal behavior can help as well.
i can’t believe that. Picking her up at 12 weeks would of even suited me better. So the woman had no reason to no let me take her at 12 weeks. There’s nothing that strikes me that she wasn’t a good woman at all. She said would be better to take her at latest 10 weeks so she doesn’t get attached to her surroundings. Ok I will do thank you so much :)

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,722 Posts
Reputable breeders give up maltese first at 12 wks. Those last few wks. are crucial so the mom can teach important socialization (bite inhibition for example). But you now have the puppy & that is no longer the ? of how to help. Maggie said it well.
I used a "pack & play" & have never crated a dog. I also limited the dog as to where they could go in our apt. when they were graduated from pack & play. We also sleep w/our dogs but they will sleep in the baby bed in our room if I put them there. Lisi was awful to train (we got her at 5 months) but now she is an angel. Don't give up, be consistent, train in a positive way & you will be rewarded down the road. Remember that dogs live in the moment.

·
Super Moderator
10,261 Posts
i can’t believe that. Picking her up at 12 weeks would of even suited me better. So the woman had no reason to no let me take her at 12 weeks. There’s nothing that strikes me that she wasn’t a good woman at all. She said would be better to take her at latest 10 weeks so she doesn’t get attached to her surroundings. Ok I will do thank you so much :)
I don't believe I said she was a bad person, I stated that she is not following the standards set forth by the American Maltese Association for ethical, responsible breeders. As a result, you may very well have behavioral and health issues with your too-young puppy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reputable breeders give up maltese first at 12 wks. Those last few wks. are crucial so the mom can teach important socialization (bite inhibition for example). But you now have the puppy & that is no longer the ? of how to help. Maggie said it well.
I used a "pack & play" & have never crated a dog. I also limited the dog as to where they could go in our apt. when they were graduated from pack & play. We also sleep w/our dogs but they will sleep in the baby bed in our room if I put them there. Lisi was awful to train (we got her at 5 months) but now she is an angel. Don't give up, be consistent, train in a positive way & you will be rewarded down the road. Remember that dogs live in the moment.
Wow thank you so much. I’m heartbroken to hear about them not meant of left their mum. I don’t see how I didn’t read this. ... I almost want to take her back ! What’s pack and play ?a crib ? I feel it’s too late? I had her in my bed last night and she was so content. I also had peace of mind. But I still haven’t slept for a week now :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't believe I said she was a bad person, I stated that she is not following the standards set forth by the American Maltese Association for ethical, responsible breeders. As a result, you may very well have behavioral and health issues with your too-young puppy.
Oh sorry no I didn’t think you did mean that. I didn’t word my reply very well. Thank you so much. I assume I can’t take her back now to be with her mum 😭. I feel so awful

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,722 Posts
Do not chastise yourself but do try & educate others---that is the purpose of the SM forum. You could also put down a "ticking clock" for when you can't be w/her---it is meant to replicate the mother's heart-beat. Spend as much time as you can playing w/& training her---it will bond her to you & help w/her behavior. Expect that when there is an issue that it may be because of her being taken away from her mom (siblings?) too early & be patient w/her. Always, always be positive in your training & reactions to her. You will be rewarded w/her loyalty & love. Welcome to SM.

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,046 Posts
Oh sorry no I didn’t think you did mean that. I didn’t word my reply very well. Thank you so much. I assume I can’t take her back now to be with her mum 😭. I feel so awful
Don't beat yourself up that you didn't know she should be with her Mom till 12 weeks. Many people don't know. Many many years ago, long before Pipper, I used to think it was ok to get a puppy at 6 weeks of age. o_O She will be fine but it will take a little extra work on your part. The mom teaches the puppy things like no nipping so you are just going to have to take the place of her Mom. As for the sleeping in her crate, you could try a soft sided puppy carrier and actually put it beside you in bed and then she would feel like she's with you but you don't have to worry about her falling. Or you could put the carrier on your nightstand ( as long as it's secure and won't fall off). Don't worry, things will work out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't beat yourself up that you didn't know she should be with her Mom till 12 weeks. Many people don't know. Many many years ago, long before Pipper, I used to think it was ok to get a puppy at 6 weeks of age. o_O She will be fine but it will take a little extra work on your part. The mom teaches the puppy things like no nipping so you are just going to have to take the place of her Mom. As for the sleeping in her crate, you could try a soft sided puppy carrier and actually put it beside you in bed and then she would feel like she's with you but you don't have to worry about her falling. Or you could put the carrier on your nightstand ( as long as it's secure and won't fall off). Don't worry, things will work out.
Thank you so much :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do not chastise yourself but do try & educate others---that is the purpose of the SM forum. You could also put down a "ticking clock" for when you can't be w/her---it is meant to replicate the mother's heart-beat. Spend as much time as you can playing w/& training her---it will bond her to you & help w/her behavior. Expect that when there is an issue that it may be because of her being taken away from her mom (siblings?) too early & be patient w/her. Always, always be positive in your training & reactions to her. You will be rewarded w/her loyalty & love. Welcome to SM.
Amazing thank you 😊

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi! Congratulations on your new puppy!! Super Cutie! Don’t worry my Cody had similar issues and he’s the love of my life!
When I first brought Cody home I placed him in a playpen next to my bed he was 12 weeks just about. When I awoke the next morning I woke up to this tiny little baby asleep curled up in my arms! And I was petrified because I had cats who slept on my bed. Thankfully my cats were homely and sweet and never bothered a newcomer. With that said remember your baby was only born 12 weeks ago.. and they miss their mom. Your their new mommy so your puppy wants All of you! Nippy wise teething of course. But anytime the puppy nips get a toy and show it to him to distract the nipping on you. Keep that up and it should slow down. My other dog play bites when she gets excited in bite mode and once I give her the toy she’s takes the toy and she’s done with me. I never crated my puppies , but who wants to be behind bars right? You can try to make her crate a safe haven and put a cushy bed with toys and your clothing in it. But most likely your puppy wants you. Our babies train us right for sure. We think we’re training them but they are training us LOL! Just have lots of patience and love and kisses! Your puppy is only born days ago so I guess she’s entitled to some smothering right. If she wants on the bed and it’s safe then ok. You can buy bed bumpers and put that on your bed on each side to prevent falling off the bed when sleeping. Also maltese have tiny bladders so they go much more often then a large dog. Buy a mattress cover that’s waterproof to put under your sheets in case she does a miss on the bed. My puppy in the beginning would bark bark and if I didn’t get him in time wee wee would be there. But I learned. And it’s all good. Also if you want to buy a rug that you can wash they have “ruggables’ in case the puppy misses you can wash the rug and put it in a dryer too! Sounds like you have a sweetie! Just needs some TLC and patience, Maltese are loyal people doggies and love Love.Dee

·
Registered
Watson, Benson, Jasmine
17 Posts
Hi there, I did what I thought was allll my research. I spent a year deciding researching on and off and then two months looking into buying my Maltese.
I got her at 9 weeks and 4 days. she was well trained considering on her pads. she is now 10 weeks and 3 days.
I don't know what I've done wrong but I feel she is already ruling me.
she loved her crate when she first arrived. I haven't slept all week because the first couple of nights I was worried about her but then she would get out the crate and cry I would pet her put her back and she would be fine. Last night she just wouldn't settle and she went mad trying to get on my bed and cried with the highest pitch I've ever heard. I did the ignore tactic then she weed and pooped off her pad on the floor at the end of my bed. she was running around running up to my bed trying to jump I thought she was going to hurt herself
I ended up having to put her in with me I was so tired and I know I shouldn't of given in. she was so distressed. then she was fine on my bed.
I just don't know the best way to deal with her behaviour wise. she is very nippy and jumpy when she gets hyper she follows everywhere. doesn't want me to be on the sofa without her. I just don't know what to do. I was so happy that she loved her crate now she isn't fond of it. and then when she isn't all of this she is the sweetest cutest thing!
I know this is a lot but any advice on anything or any websites recommended for me to read up on please advise.
Thank you x
I only get my babies at 20 weeks. However, I put mine in a crate, very small crate right beside my bed, and they learn to sleep there and love it. It also gets them to hold their pee all night! I also put a blanket inside and also outside to make it warm. After about a year, then they sleep with me! It is so worth it to allow them the time for their bladder to grow to hold the pee! My baby girl now sleeps with us, me and her "brother" on the bed. No problems! I have taught mine that it is "time out" which is also a place to go for safety! During the day I have a "play pen" see Amazon, only when I leave the house! They are so cute it is difficult, but I think it is important to train them even though they are tiny. Mine are more well behaved than most people's children! lol

·
Registered
Kobe, 3 months, Maltese
155 Posts
Most definitely 12 weeks should have been the earliest. If she wasn't a breeder she may have just been anxious to get out of the craziness of so many pups, so much mess. Its not easy having a litter running around is messy, time consuming and expensive. It may not have been her motive but just a guess maybe. My girl was not a breeder and my husband got me my Kobe for my anniversary so she was more that happy to hand him over at 10 weeks in time for my anniversary. Thank goodness though I have not had any of the problems that most people explain. He has been mostly easy. There are 3 of us here dedicated to his training too though so easier I guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts