Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody...

I'm here to ask for your help once again...:blush:
Past friday my baby and I went for a walk, a long long walk , and we went in a direction we never went before. She got home really dirty and started to scratch... I thought it could be 'cause she was dirty and she's no used to be like that, so I gave her a bath on sunday, but she continued with the scratching (it wasn't so much, but I notice it wasn't normal you know?)... I took her to the vet on thursday 'cause that day she started to scratch a little more. The vet told me it was probably an allergy, we were in a park we've never been before, plus is spring over here so they were a lot of flowers&plants that she never smell before... That made total sense to me, the vet gave her an injection of DEXA 20 (Dexamethasone 200mg/ml, he put her 0,2 ml, my baby weights like 2k) and told me to give her 2.5 mg of prednisone/once per day during 5 days at home... Well today is the third day of the treatment and she's been shaking/trembling during the past hour!! ... I don't know what to do!!, I haven't given her the pill today (I was supposed to give her the pill like half an hour ago, but I'm afraid to)... I'm really clueless :blush:, to make things even worse, we're on holydays over here and it's 22:45 PM so I can't find a vet so easily.. SHe's in my arms right now and I'm afraid that something could happen during the night while she's sleeping, and I won't find a vet on time...
Do You think all this tremblings has something to do with the prednisone??.... Any advice??? what can I do??... I won't sleep tonight 'cause I want to watch her and make sure she's OK..... but I don't know what can I do to help her...... ideas please??

I'm sorry for my english, I'm freaking out over here and I don't even make sense in spanish right now....

Any advice would be really appreciated!!

THANKS

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, gosh, I am sorry this is happening. I really don't know what could be wrong. Do you have an emergency vet over there? Have you looked through her hair to see if she has fleas (I'm not sure if you have fleas in Chile).

I hope she'll be OK... please keep us posted!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your reply...
The nearest emergency vet is 1hr from home... And I don't own a car so I have to call a taxi, considering today&tomorrow we're on holydays, that's very difficult (slow) but I have all the numbers in my phone in case I need to make a call... I just called that clinic but there is no vet at the moment, just the secretary, something happened to the dr and he had to left ....
We have fleas over here, specially in this season, but not at home and she doesn't have them... but the vet told me maybe a flea caused the allergy, it's hard to know exactly...
She's with my mom right now... still shaking... and I'm still freaking out!! :(

thanks for your concern!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Could she possibly have low blood sugar (in addition to the allergy issue already being treated)?
I don't know her age or weight but see if this sounds like her symptoms:

Hypoglycemia in Dogs Symptoms, Treatments | Canine Hypoglycemia
Copied & Pasted Below:

"Hypoglycemia in Dogs Signs, Treatments:
Hypoglycemia in dogs is a dangerous condition, and can occur as a result of several other medical conditions Hypoglycemia is a condition in which blood glucose levels suddenly drop to a dangerous level below normal. Since the brain is only able to use glucose as fuel, a lack of glucose in the blood means that the brain cannot function properly, leading to some extremely dangerous consequences. In addition, there may be other effects too, such as palpitations and nausea. Some common symptoms of hypoglycemia in dogs include loss of appetite, low energy levels, and weakness. There may also be neurological symptoms such as loss of muscular control and coordination, trembling, twitching, seizures, and, in severe cases, unconsciousness or even a coma. As is apparent from this list of symptoms, hypoglycemia is not something to be taken lightly.

Diabetes is one common cause of hypoglycemia – not because of the diabetes itself, but usually as a result of an excessive dose of insulin. However, certain small breeds of dogs, particularly toy breeds, are highly prone to this dangerous condition because their bodies cannot store much fat, which would otherwise be broken down and converted into energy. It is therefore extremely important to be aware of this danger if you own such a breed.

If you notice any of the symptoms described earlier, you should contact your vet immediately for dog care. In the meanwhile, try to get the dog to eat or drink something, especially something sweet. (Of course, here you must remember that chocolates are toxic for dogs.) If your dog refuses to eat or is unconscious, you can simply rub some sugar syrup on his or her gums. This of course is no substitute for medical treatment, but it can buy precious time. It may also help to keep the dog’s body temperature under control by using a hot water bottle. Hypoglycemia can cause hypothermia, which is itself extremely dangerous.

In order to reduce the risk of hypoglycemia in dogs, it is recommended that small breeds be fed thrice a day, even as adults. This helps to keep the blood glucose levels relatively stable. Puppies too are unable to control blood glucose levels very well, and this is one of the reasons why they must be fed at regular intervals. If your dog is diabetic and needs regular doses of insulin, you should make sure that you are giving the correct dose at the correct interval."

·
Registered
304 Posts
Has she been eating? I would think since she is so small that maybe if she hasn't ate anything that may be why she is shaking. But it too could be the steriod. You have to be so careful with what you give these little dogs.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Exactly where are you located? I can do a search for an emergency vet hospital. I will call them for you, I speak Spanish and French - If you tell me where you are, I can find help for you. You MUST act quickly.

You really have to bring her in to be evaluated by professionals.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
My dog has been on steroids for a few years now and never shakes.

Are you giving the steroids with food as that is important to give with food or it could upset the intestinal tract.

What did you bath her with?

Is she eating?

how much does she weigh in pounds?

Usually if a dog has a severe allergic reaction they give a dex shot then do the course of steroids for 5 days then to every other day to wean off. It does seem like a high dose as we use 1/2 temaril p which is prednisolone easier on the liver. When dd gets hives we give her 1/2 once daily for 5 days then once hives are gone to every other day and dd is 6lbs - the temarilp is prednisolone mixed with antihistamine but some vets do not use it as they do not like to use mixed drugs.

Has your dog ever had blood work done to make sure liver is ok before giving meds? Some vets will test this before doing meds so just curious if this was done.

It sounds like she may just be in pain if she is eating - has the itching gone down ?

any vomitting or diarrhea? Steroids can cause pancreatitis as well so just trying to think of all options. Is she tossing and turning at all? Is it cold there? Have you tried putting a sweater on her if cold to see if this helps at all

Do you know how to take a temp with a baby thermometer? When you feel her ears are they cold to the touch?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@k/c mom: thanks for the info... I thought it could be something like that but she's been eating normally today... in fact when she started with the trembling I looked for side effects of the prednisone and I've found that it might cause hypoglycemia, so I gave her a little bit of yogurt, and she ate it...
She's going to turn 2 years on 16th Nov and she weights like 2 k (last time I weighted her a month ago)

@coconuts: yes, she's been eating normally ... I think it could be the steroid, but I'm not sure.... we went to another vet 'cause the dr that normally check her is on vacations... I want to punch that guy SO hard right now!!!, I told him that I thought 2.5 mg of prednisone it might be too much for her, but he assured that it was ok... I didn't gave her the 2.5 mg though, I gave her a little bit less, like 2 mg...

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
There is a hospital VERY close to where you are - you must call there straight away.

Hospital Veterinario Animal - Santiago, Chille Phone: 02- 551 46 04 Mon - Sun: 10:00 am ...10:00 pm

CALL NOW there will be someone there

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dog has been on steroids for a few years now and never shakes.
really, wow! taht's interesting
Are you giving the steroids with food as that is important to give with food or it could upset the intestinal tract.
yes, mixed with her food
What did you bath her with?
same shampoo as always: DragPharma Shampoo for white dogs (has coconut oil) and a Baby Conditioner (J&J)
Is she eating?
yes, she's been eating normally...
how much does she weigh in pounds?
2k = 4.4 lbs (?)
Usually if a dog has a severe allergic reaction they give a dex shot then do the course of steroids for 5 days then to every other day to wean off. It does seem like a high dose as we use 1/2 temaril p which is prednisolone easier on the liver. When dd gets hives we give her 1/2 once daily for 5 days then once hives are gone to every other day and dd is 6lbs - the temarilp is prednisolone mixed with antihistamine but some vets do not use it as they do not like to use mixed drugs.
Has your dog every had blood work done to make sure liver is ok before giving meds? Some vets will test this before doing meds so just curious if this was done.
oh yes... a lot of blood works!!... she had has several problems with her tummy before (vomiting) so I've done at least 4 blood test, plus 3 echographys, everything OK with the liver.
It sounds like she may just be in pain if she is eating - has the itching gone down ?
In pain?? ooohhh noooo my little baby!! :( ... the itching has gone down but not completly, she is still scratching herself but not so much, like twice a day, during the night she scratches a little more

what can I do if she is in pain??.... everything went normal today, I don't know what can be causing her pain....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a hospital VERY close to where you are - you must call there straight away.

Hospital Veterinario Animal - Santiago, Chille Phone: 02- 551 46 04 Mon - Sun: 10:00 am ...10:00 pm

CALL NOW there will be someone there
That's far away from my house than the other one ;)
I'll call but now here is 23:37 PM

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
really, wow! taht's interesting

yes, mixed with her food

same shampoo as always: DragPharma Shampoo for white dogs (has coconut oil) and a Baby Conditioner (J&J)

yes, she's been eating normally...

2k = 4.4 lbs (?)

oh yes... a lot of blood works!!... she had has several problems with her tummy before (vomiting) so I've done at least 4 blood test, plus 3 echographys, everything OK with the liver.

In pain?? ooohhh noooo my little baby!! :( ... the itching has gone down but not completly, she is still scratching herself but not so much, like twice a day, during the night she scratches a little more

what can I do if she is in pain??.... everything went normal today, I don't know what can be causing her pain....
If she already has had intestinal issues the doseage of pred could be upsetting her intestinal tract. An allergic reaction can take some time to subside and steroids really help alot as usually antihistamines like benedryl are not enough. I would call and maybe ask about temarilp as it is much more mild than straight pred especially if she had some intestinal issues in past. No other meds were given with this correct? It sounds like itching is getting less which is good. I am on an allergy dog group with dogs on steroids and have never read about a dog shaking from steroids. I really think it may be upsetting her tummy. Could be wrong but worth asking for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
I don't know what the problem could be but I do know you can't just stop giving Prednisone. You must taper off gradually. Even though you may suspect that it may be the cause of her shaking I do not believe you can just stop it. Please try to find a vet. Let us know how you make out. I'll be praying for you and your little one.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I don't know what the problem could be but I do know you can't just stop giving Prednisone. You must taper off gradually. Even though you may suspect that it may be the cause of her shaking I do not believe you can just stop it. Please try to find a vet. Let us know how you make out. I'll be praying for you and your little one.
that is correct you taper from every day to every other day then to nothing if the reaction is over. If the itching has subsided and you skip today then give tomorrow but you need to talk to your vet tomorrow or call er to discuss this.

The prob with pred is it affects the adrenal glands and you do not want them bouncing all over the place giving doses here and there.

I just had an episode with dd today itching and gave her a dose today and back to every other day so sometimes you have to dose in between when she has bad days but i wean back to every other day after that to her normal regiment.

I would definitely call but dd has shaken before on clindamycin antibiotic and i put a sweat shirt on her and put her in a blankie and it subsided and that drug has a side affect of this but derm was not too concerned and it was on her last day dose so we just stopped at that point.

If she is eating, pooping, peeing, not dehydrated, not vomitting, no diarrhea then i would not stress too much but call and ease your mind with a vet for sure as I always do that if something odd happens and makes me feel alot better :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exactly where are you located? I can do a search for an emergency vet hospital. I will call them for you, I speak Spanish and French - If you tell me where you are, I can find help for you. You MUST act quickly.
You really have to bring her in to be evaluated by professionals.
THANK YOU! I haven't seen your post before...

I just called the clinic, they told me if everything else is normal (she's been eating ok, she's not vomiting, she's playing, she has no fever -I just checked her tº- she's peeing/pooping normally, she's acting like she always does) there's no much that they can do, they told me if something happen I should take her inmediatly, I've asked if I take her anyways right now what they would do to her, and they told me nothing 'cause she has no other symptoms...

She's a little better now... less shaking...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank thank you everybody for your post... and yeah!! good point!! I know I shouldn't stop the prednisone just like that but I forgot to ask that to the vet, I did told him that I didn't gave her the pill today (half of the pill actually) but he didn't told me anything.... just to check on her....
she seems to be better now, less shaking... she wants to play with a ball...

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
THANK YOU! I haven't seen your post before...

I just called the clinic, they told me if everything else is normal (she's been eating ok, she's not vomiting, she's playing, she has no fever -I just checked her tº- she's peeing/pooping normally, she's acting like she always does) there's no much that they can do, they told me if something happen I should take her inmediatly, I've asked if I take her anyways right now what they would do to her, and they told me nothing 'cause she has no other symptoms...

She's a little better now... less shaking...
so happy - wrap her up in a blankie and hold her :) It will make her feel better and warm. She will be ok :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so happy - wrap her up in a blankie and hold her :) It will make her feel better and warm. She will be ok :)
yes, I'll do that!!... thanks!!... it's past her bedtime she's always in bed around 22:00, now it 00:05 and I'm not in bed (she sleeps with me)... I'll keep the laptop in my "night table" (??) and keep you posted

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
yes, I'll do that!!... thanks!!... it's past her bedtime she's always in bed around 22:00, now it 00:05 and I'm not in bed (she sleeps with me)... I'll keep the laptop in my "night table" (??) and keep you posted
so happy you and she are feeling better - get some rest :)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Make sure she has protein a few times a day if her stomach is not upset. That will keep her blood sugar level. Shaking is usually due to pain. If her stomach is upset from the meds the vet will need to give her something to help.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts