Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have a boutique that sells expensive dog items many in the hundreds of dollars.

Our store is set up to look fun but classy. We have alot of people with young children who come in and they don't mind their children, inevitbaly they pick up $200 displays off the tops of tables and start wanting to throw them around or play with them, or pull apart expensive items that are within their reach. rip open $12 Candy packages and such.

I'm thinking of putting a sign in front on the first table that reads:

GlamourDog is a luxury boutique,
we are not a toy store.
Please control your children.

Thank you for your consideration,

Management[/B]
The annoying thing is we've gone to great lengths to keep everything out of reach of dogs by keeping everything up about 3' off the ground. Now we're having to deal with 4 year old children who can reach on top of tables and grab our Displays and everything else.

I don't know what to do, I don't want to be rude?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Maybe you could turn it into a quick little poem. I don't know about you guys there, but in a lot of stores around where I live, there's a cute little saying (can't remember the exact wording), but it basically says if you or your children break our stuff, you will have to pay for it.

You could always put something up like:

"We've built our shop with love & thought
But if you break it, consider it bought"

Of course that's an EXTREMELY rough draft (just off the top of my head as an example)
- but maybe something along those lines?

Also, I agree that you should put it on the door and maybe one in the store aswell. That way people can't miss it.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Hi, I know how you must feel.... I hate uncontrolled kids.... I think the last part, "please control your kids" could be taken as a negative by some defensive types. I love Sunshine's idea of a poem that is somewhat lighthearted. I think telling them that you are a luxury boutique could be insulting to some since you are telling them the obvious .... probably those with the worst kids would be the ones offended. I would go with a sign but I'd keep it in a positive vein...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I Have a 2 year old baby girl and even in a toy store i don`t let her play with everything and climb on top of things, not to mention breaking or ruining merchandise. I take both of my kids (skin an fur) everywhere and i am very proud of them. I agree that you should put a very noticeable sign and also a warning so everyone know that if they break or ruin anything they`ll have to pay for it.
The poem idea is GREAT,
Good luck and my sympathies

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone...

I was thinking the same thing.... I didnt really like the way I wrote it. I think it could be taken wrong.

I am really hoping for some more suggestions.?????

THANKS!!!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok,

Here are some favorites from another site.

A.
[Dogs and Children welcome with responsible parents.]

B.
[Dogs and Children with responsible parents welcome!]

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I totally agree! I love the poems!! I say PUT UP THE SIGN... my parents have a store and the public is horrible!! The sad part is.. the public DOESNT READ signs...
but if u have th sign up and something get s broke... you have something to throw in their face! hehe.. we have had to do that MANY times! GOODLUCK!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
The local farmer's market has a sign about dogs that says:
Attention Dogs -- Please keep your owners on a short leash.

I think it is so funny becuase it addresses the dog!

I don't have any suggestions about the child thing. But perhaps you could do something a little light hearted so there is no negativity to the parents.

By the way...I'm planning to stop by the store this weekend! I can't wait (neither can Bella!).

Nicolle

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
As a parent of three children...who for the most part are well behaved...I am not offended by any of the proposed sinage. However, I realize that those who often take offense are those at whom the sign is aimed. I always live by the "you break it, you buy it" philosophy when entering any kind of store, either alone or with my kids. A simple "please do not touch display items" or a "please ask for assitance with display items" might not get the point across. I like the idea of a poem, but those that would think nothing of disturbing a beautiful display would probably think the sign would not apply to them.

How is the store going? From your website, you seem to have lovely items. Continued good luck....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by GlamourDog@Nov 12 2004, 05:07 PM
Ok,

Here are some favorites from another site.

A.
[Dogs and Children welcome with responsible parents.]

B.
[Dogs and Children with responsible parents welcome!]
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16177
[/QUOTE]

I like "B"-cute idea!!
I would also add somewhere about the "you break/you buy" thing...unless you don't have much actual breakable stuff. I can understand your frustration.
Good luck. If I think of anything else, I will let you know. :D

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Loved Sunshine's poem! Too cute.

My children are grown but they sure didn't run wild when they were little. I feel for your situation. You don't want to turn off customers, but you shouldn't have to put up with the little hellions. And don't even get me started on restaurants!

Would love to hear how the store is doing!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I say get a taser gun and zap 'em whenever they touch something
:new_Eyecrazy:

I like "Attention Dogs - Responsible parents of/and children welcome!"

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I, personally, like the "please ask for assitance with display items" signs. You should put that around the furniture section.

The only reason why I don't like the poems is that it's too long and I don't know how long that'll hold anyone's attention unless it's short and REALLY catchy.

That sucks that kids would open up doggie treats/candy!

I don't have any good ideas b/c it's so late. I'll sleep on it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think I like Joe's idea!
:lol:

I like the you break it you buy it idea; sorry I can't think of a catchy saying though...
Its so sad that a lot of parents now a days can't seem to control or watch their own children!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I like the idea of "you open it, break it or otherwise render it unsalable and you've bought it". Or "because we want to offer you first quality merchandise please ask us to open or demonstrate any packaged items". Maybe a combination of the two.

Getting that across without offending non-offenders is the tough part. If your sign doesn't seem to be working after a period of posting it, maybe a display of sample dog toys that potential purchasers and their children can handle would help. I know that lots of times I see something in a box but I want to see more than a picture and want to really see how it functions, etc. and I WILL take it out of the box or packaging if I am really interested in purchasing it.

Perhaps when you've grown so successful that you have to enlarge the store
you could put in a children's corner with a little table or rug and a couple of toys that would keep them occupied long enough for the parents to buy LOTS of doggie goodies!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Nov 13 2004, 10:21 AM
I like the idea of "you open it, break it or otherwise render it unsalable and you've bought it".  Or "because we want to offer you first quality merchandise please ask us to open or demonstrate any packaged items".  Maybe a combination of the two.

Getting that across without offending non-offenders is the tough part.  If your sign doesn't seem to be working after a period of posting it, maybe a display of sample dog toys that potential purchasers and their children can handle would help.  I know that lots of times I see something in a box but I want to see more than a picture and want to really see how it functions, etc. and I WILL take it out of the box or packaging if I am really interested in purchasing it. 

Perhaps when you've grown so successful that you have to enlarge the store
  you could put in a children's corner with a little table or rug and a couple of toys that would keep them occupied long enough for the parents to buy LOTS of doggie goodies!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=16246
[/QUOTE]
I really like that idea. Maybe even have a dvd playing some doggie movies for them to watch. I am not familiar how large the store is, so it might not be possible as children would still need to be within view of their parents. Our Starbucks has a kiddie corner with appropriate sized chairs, mugs and books. They also have a stash of stuffed animals and crayons for the kids to play with. Glamour Dog could sponsor a coloring contest where the winner gets a free biscuit (or some other smaller item) for their dog. That will offer an incentive for the children to go to that spot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts