Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella is acting really nervous. She won't stop barking. The hurricane must have her going crazy (she was like this with Katrina but this time she's really bad) Can I give her children's Benadryl?

If anyone knows of something I can give her to calm her down, please let me know soon before I go crazy. Trust me when I tell you is bad...I would never even think of giving her anything like this but she's freaking out on me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Prissy went through a time in her pregnancy where she hurt her back and we couldnt give he pain meds. My vet told me to give her 1/2 a 25mg tablet so she could calm down. Prissy was right at 10 lbs then. Yeah and she still is 10 lbs she cant loose this baby fat.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You can always give more so start off with like .5 cc and wait 30 mins then give more if needed. Its a liquid right. My dr told me how much to give prissy if I had the liquid but I cant for the life of me think of how much she said. I would start with a little and slowly increase if needed.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by sassy14830@Oct 23 2005, 08:49 PM
Prissy went through a time in her pregnancy where she hurt her back and we couldnt give he pain meds. My vet told me to give her 1/2 a 25mg tablet so she could calm down. Prissy was right at 10 lbs then. Yeah and she still is 10 lbs she cant loose this baby fat.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112739
[/QUOTE]

thanks, Iwill give her a bit less than half...was it children's benadryl or adult?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
In August when we were waiting for Katrina to hit, Jolie (my bichon) was a nervous wreck! People here really helped with some ideas for calming her down. Maybe you could try and find that thread. I'm not very good with the searching. Anyway, someone suggested swaddling the puppy to make it feel more secure. That worked pretty well. Also we went into a darkened room that was away from the wind and lightening so that she couldn't see what was going on outside and that helped as well.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
the dose of the liquid for her is 0.6-1ml every 8 hrs..if u go with the tablets it is 1/4-1/2 a tablet

if n e one else needs a dose..it is 2-4mg/kg if ur dogs weight it is lbs take their weight divide by 2.2..this converts to kg. then multiply by 2, 3, or 4 and this is how many mg the liquid is 12.5mg/ml and the tablets are 25mg

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
no prob ne time! one thing i do know is to not comfort the dog..this makes it worse..then they think there is a reason to be scared. dont go holding them everytime there is a big noise...pretend it didnt happen. parker strted out scared of noises but b/c i paid no attention he learned there was nothing to be scared of. the benadryl helps them not care.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Oct 23 2005, 09:23 PM
no prob  ne time!  one thing i do know is to not comfort the dog..this makes it worse..then they think there is a reason to be scared.  dont go holding them everytime there is a big noise...pretend it didnt happen.  parker strted out scared of noises but b/c i paid no attention he learned there was nothing to be scared of.  the benadryl helps them not care. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112766
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice...she's finally sleeping and I feel so much better. The storm is yet to come so we'll see when the winds start coming how she gets. I will ignore her

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Poor bella, i am sorry you have to go through this AGAIN! i will be praying for you

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I do hope all goes well for you, your family and little Bella, please stay safe and know that we are all praying for you to be safe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts