Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, y'all! I'm so excited about picking my baby up next month. But, I am kind of a nervous new mama who wants to make sure I purchase the right things. There's so much stuff out there, that it's overwhelming.

Can you all share your tips with me on the following:
  • Crate - metal or plastic
  • Food Bowl - metal or ceramic
  • Food itself - what's best for maltese
  • Water - dispenser or bowl
  • Bath and Shampoo - recommendations?
  • Grooming kits - recommendations
  • Wipes for eyes and wipes for after going to poo
  • Products to keep her hair white
  • Toys
Any other suggestion you may have....

Thanks so much. Maybe I'll be able to relax after hearing your answers.

·
Premium Member
5,821 Posts
Hi, y'all! I'm so excited about picking my baby up next month. But, I am kind of a nervous new mama who wants to make sure I purchase the right things. There's so much stuff out there, that it's overwhelming.

• Toys

How exciting for you!
i used an xpen instead of crates, ceramic plate to feed but since moved to paper since I hated washing dishes. I feed Honest kitchen food, use bayou bowls for water, Les pooch for shampoo and conditioner, CC combs and brushes, baush & lomb eye wash, Les pooch whitening shampoo and anything squeaky makes my girls happy.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How exciting for you!
i used an xpen instead of crates, ceramic plate to feed but since moved to paper since I hated washing dishes. I feed Honest kitchen food, use bayou bowls for water, Les pooch for shampoo and conditioner, CC combs and brushes, baush & lomb eye wash, Les pooch whitening shampoo and anything squeaky makes my girls happy.
Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for this! Love the paper plate idea. Genius!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How exciting for you!
Hope this helps.

Just one more question: Regarding the xpen, can I put a doggie bed in one corner, toys in another, water in another and keep the pen open while we're home and close it when we are away? Or do you think this would cause her to have accidents while we are gone? I plan to train her to potty outside.

·
Premium Member
5,821 Posts
Just one more question: Regarding the xpen, can I put a doggie bed in one corner, toys in another, water in another and keep the pen open while we're home and close it when we are away? Or do you think this would cause her to have accidents while we are gone? I plan to train her to potty outside.
That’s exactly how I used my Xpen. I did put pads down just in case, but to be honest my girls came trained to me, so I just had to bell train them to go outside. That’s something you might want to consider. They learn real quick and there is little chance for accidents if they can alert you to go out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s exactly how I used my Xpen. I did put pads down just in case, but to be honest my girls came trained to me, so I just had to bell train them to go outside. That’s something you might want to consider. They learn real quick and there is little chance for accidents if they can alert you to go out.
Thank you! I'm going to use your approach!

·
Registered
1 Posts

• Toys

Hello & Cogradulations!
I have a 7 month old Maltese, DOLLY. She is my joy!
I use my shampoo (purple for blondes) feed her Royal Canine for puppies, used turkey tendons for teething and lots of love & toys.
she’s doing great!!

·
Registered
Watson, Benson, Jasmine
20 Posts

• Toys

I bought an Amazon Zampa foldable pen in Medium (so my baby would have lots of room). It has lasted nearly 2 years! I gave away my first dogs after I could trust him, to someone with new kittens! I use metal food bowls, Wellness Toy breed adult (mine are over 2 years) I used Blue Buffalo for puppy food small breed chicken and oatmeal pink bag, from Chewy. I use a wooden dispenser (pic). I now have a groomer but love Chris Christianson's shampoos, conditioners, detanglers! CC has whiteners I also LOVE their combs! Be sure to get a face comb! Great for faces of course. I also have a wooden brush with wooden pins that is great! (pic). I have several but I bought them over time as I could afford one.I have had 3 Maltese. My first lived to 13, my 2nd is 10 and my baby is 2! I have had Maltese for over 23 years! I love them! Sorry the pics are dups and so big, I am not that great at pics!
Here is the Zampa link: Amazon.com : Zampa Portable Foldable Pet playpen Exercise Pen Kennel Carrying Case for Larges Dogs Small Puppies/Cats | Indoor/Outdoor Use | Water Resistant : Pet Supplies
IMG_5210.JPG IMG_4933.JPG
IMG_5210.JPG

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,966 Posts
Be very careful with the slicker. Maltese have hair and no undercoat, so it is easy to scratch the skin. If you use it pull it upwards away from the body to tease out the hair, don't rub it against the body.

I second getting something squeaky, most Maltese love to play.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts