Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I got my new 4 month old boy on monday (I will post pics later as Iv'e left camera at mums house) and although he will wear a collar, as soon as you put a leash on him he lies down, iv'e tried praising him, giving him treats and playing with him but he just refuses to move! would a harness be a good thing or can anyone else offer me advice?
I also rehomed a 2 1/2 yr old boy called justin who had never been on a leash, he was actually shaking in fright at the thought of going for a walk but he is doing great now, I put him in a harness and he is going for a few short walks (literaly 1minute) a day. I think he's getting there, slowly but surely.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Like the collar they have to get "used" to it. First make sure the lead you have is not too heavy for him and the job intended. While you are home snap the lead on him and let him drag it around with him, and initiate play while its on. He'll learn that it's OK, and won't hurt him.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Great advice, Marsha. Once you've got the lead on him in the house let him see you make a trail of treats and toys and then just ignore him. I bet he gets up and walking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts