Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my little female Maltese puppy 3 weeks ago from a top show breeder. Both parents were champions. I had previously purchased my beloved little Sugar from her almost 15 years ago, but she passed away in April. She was the perfect dog in every way - beauty, temperament, spirit. I contacted the same breeder just to see when and if she would have any puppies available and she had one - 4 months old - which I decided to take immediately as this Covid time seems like a very lonely and difficult time to be without a dear little puppy companion. However, this new puppy is wild, headstrong, and super-active, and now has completely tan ears and some lighter tan spots down her back and tail. She has a lot of eye stain. I wanted a sweet, gentle, loving princess and now I have a ragamuffin. She's a very smart, vital dog, with a silky coat, lovely body (about 4 pounds), and cute face, just not right for me. What should I do? Do you think the tan will go away? What about the eyestain? Is it related to teething? She's really adorable and everybody likes her but I am not sure we are a good match. If I could find the right family for her, I would be happy. Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I'm sorry you feel this isn't working out for you. Please contact the breeder and have a conversation with them about puppy personalities and behavior. It's likely your contract with that breeder requires you to do that rather than simply re-home this beloved puppy.

·
Registered
470 Posts
All puppies are different in personalities and at 4 months old I’d expect them to be very excitable! As far as appearances go, if that is important to you then I am wondering why you chose her from the breeder when you met the pup? Anyway, definitely reach back out to the breeder so she can find this pup her very best forever home.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I think most puppies have endless energy and calm down once they are out of the puppy stage. At 4 months they are like little energizer bunnies that keep going and going. They need a LOT of play time and a LOT of walks to burn off that energy. Maybe if the breeder will take her back you should consider getting an older dog a few years old.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All puppies are different in personalities and at 4 months old I’d expect them to be very excitable! As far as appearances go, if that is important to you then I am wondering why you chose her from the breeder when you met the pup? Anyway, definitely reach back out to the breeder so she can find this pup her very best forever home.
Thank you for your reply. Appearances are important to me but I took her sight unseen (except for one picture of her in her pen) as she was the only puppy available (and during this period ALL dogs are being sold quickly). Also the tan ears and spots have just come in. Perhaps signs of them were there earlier on - but I just noticed them. I think the breeder was evaluating the puppy for show (which is why she was 4 months old) but then decided she wouldn't make it and that there will be no shows this year - that's why she sold it. It all happened in about two days from phone call to pick up. Thank you again, and, yes, I will call the breeder, although I am afraid of her
. (She isn't really warm and friendly...)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry you feel this isn't working out for you. Please contact the breeder and have a conversation with them about puppy personalities and behavior. It's likely your contract with that breeder requires you to do that rather than simply re-home this beloved puppy.
Thank you for your reply. I will reach out to the breeder although she is a scary person. Did you have any thoughts about whether the tan (ears, back and tail) might disappear with her adult coat or over time? They are not growing white at the roots - but tan. Also, in your experience, could eyestrain reduce after teething? When might that occur? (if ever!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased my little female Maltese puppy 3 weeks ago from a top show breeder. Both parents were champions. I had previously purchased my beloved little Sugar from her almost 15 years ago, but she passed away in April. She was the perfect dog in every way - beauty, temperament, spirit. I contacted the same breeder just to see when and if she would have any puppies available and she had one - 4 months old - which I decided to take immediately as this Covid time seems like a very lonely and difficult time to be without a dear little puppy companion. However, this new puppy is wild, headstrong, and super-active, and now has completely tan ears and some lighter tan spots down her back and tail. She has a lot of eye stain. I wanted a sweet, gentle, loving princess and now I have a ragamuffin. She's a very smart, vital dog, with a silky coat, lovely body (about 4 pounds), and cute face, just not right for me. What should I do? Do you think the tan will go away? What about the eyestain? Is it related to teething? She's really adorable and everybody likes her but I am not sure we are a good match. If I could find the right family for her, I would be happy. Any advice?
Thank you for your reply. Appearances are important to me but I took her sight unseen (except for one picture of her in her pen) as she was the only puppy available (and during this period ALL dogs are being sold quickly). Also the tan ears and spots have just come in. Perhaps signs of them were there earlier on - but I just noticed them. I think the breeder was evaluating the puppy for show (which is why she was 4 months old) but then decided she wouldn't make it and that there will be no shows this year - that's why she sold it. It all happened in about two days from phone call to pick up. Thank you again, and, yes, I will call the breeder, although I am afraid of her
. (She isn't really warm and friendly...)
The tan ears is actually quite normal as it is called “Lemon Ears” and fades as they grow older , at least my Lucky’s did and I still see it a little,but in the Maltese description in the AKC web site it 100% used the term Lemon Ears. Lucky coat when I got her at 6 months was a little dull and I wondered why every other Maltese I saw was white but she will be 3 in October and she now has unbelievable Snow White Coat. It is ultra white and soft. The back and tail spots I’m not sure what to say. Can you post a big picture of her. I would consider adopting if you are close to Boston.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tan ears is actually quite normal as it is called “Lemon Ears” and fades as they grow older , at least my Lucky’s did and I still see it a little,but in the Maltese description in the AKC web site it 100% used the term Lemon Ears. Lucky coat when I got her at 6 months was a little dull and I wondered why every other Maltese I saw was white but she will be 3 in October and she now has unbelievable Snow White Coat. It is ultra white and soft. The back and tail spots I’m not sure what to say. Can you post a big picture of her. I would consider adopting if you are close to Boston.
I am in California. Her ears are quite tan, not lemon, and I see even darker tan hair, not white, growing at the roots. The lighter tan spots on her back also make her coat more creamy than white in many places. It's not unattractive, just not the sparkling white coat of a Maltese. It looks "champagne." Her face is pretty. Her coat is silky and straight (of course it's still a puppy coat, but it's more silky than any other Maltese I have had). Her body structure, tail, are all wonderful. Her points are black. (The nose was a little brown at first but became almost completely black). Eye stain, unfortunately, is considerable. Her temperament has very, very quickly improved. I guess she feels safe and loved and has calmed down considerably. She seems to like obedience sessions quite a bit. I am hoping with fingers crossed that the tan will go away -- especially on the ears, which together with the eye stain, give a dirty appearance. I am also very much hoping that the eye stain will go away after teething. Is this your experience? I know it can go either way. I guess I've fallen in love with her despite her scruffy appearance. Maybe she will turn into My Fair Lady? Maybe later I can post a picture. Thank you for your kind reply.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She looks much much less scruffy here. The ears are a little darker. She's pretty though.

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
Dixie was our first Maltese. She had slightly tan ears, which is called lemon but it is tan. It disappeared as long as she was dry. When I gave her a bath the shading popped out.
Our present youngest girl, Molly, came with tan on her ears and two spots on her back. She is now approaching 8 years old. The spots on her back have disappeared as long as she is dry, like Dixie before her. The tan on her ears lightened a lot years ago but is still visible at times. I don’t care one bit. I love her as she is as I love her sister, Juice. Molly’s ears stuck out like the Flying Nun forever. lol All three of our girls came from a reputable, top show breeder also.
A puppy gets her adult hair around a year old. The hair texture and look can change completely. She may not look like a ragamuffin to you then.
Staining is normal for puppies. It will disappear usually by 1 year old. Our Dixie had staining, Molly never has. We didn’t get Juice until she was 5 1/2 so I don’t know about her. She was a retired Champion and mother of three litters when we got her. She is Dixie’s sister. Many of her pups and grand pups are Champions.
If a four month old puppy isn’t wild and headstrong I’d worry about her. That’s what puppies are like.
Do you think it’s possible you are comparing her to Sugar? No new puppy will ever measure up to your first love. You can’t compare them. Also perhaps you don’t recall what it’s like to have a puppy?
Your little girl is very beautiful. There is nothing wrong with her. If you feel you cannot love her as she is, do the puppy a favor and see if the breeder will take her back. I think she is lovely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do love and her would never give her back. You are right, I was still grieving for Sugar (who died after a horrible illness only one week before I got the new puppy) and I had a similar dog in mind. But Sappho is very different and unexpected. She's super-smart, spunky, and devoted. We are already great friends! She has changed in her ways and so have I! I guess that is what a dog does. I hope the staining and the tan will go away but at this point there is no turning back! I really appreciate your reply.

·
Premium Member
17,311 Posts
My Lisi was a handful when we got her at 4 months. I did not have half her energy. It was a huge challenge to keep her, and she had horrific tear staining due to cutting teeth. She is now 8 & has absolutely no stain & has settled down into a very sweet, compliant family member. There were times early on when I would have flushed her! I am so happy my DH would not let me do that. She never stops wagging her tail! She has the most wonderful temperament & she is soooooo sweet & cute. She was really a little stinker in her day------don't give up! The end result will amaze you! She now has terminal cancer but I would not change one day we have had w/her---not even 1/2 of a day----she has burned her way into our hearts and we will forever be owned by her.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’m so glad to know that she is doing better. I haven’t posted on here in quite a while, but I adopted my Sugarplum who was rescued from a puppy mill. She is otherwise healthy except that she had some severe dental disease as she had never had a dental exam in her life of an estimated five years. Her breath stunk to high heaven and she had some tear stains, but they are completely gone now ever since she had 17 teeth extracted! She has also been for the most part successfully rehabilitated into a pet dog.

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
I do love and her would never give her back. You are right, I was still grieving for Sugar (who died after a horrible illness only one week before I got the new puppy) and I had a similar dog in mind. But Sappho is very different and unexpected. She's super-smart, spunky, and devoted. We are already great friends! She has changed in her ways and so have I! I guess that is what a dog does. I hope the staining and the tan will go away but at this point there is no turning back! I really appreciate your reply.
I’m happy for you and Sappho that you are happy together and love each other. I think it’s a good thing that she is so different than Sugar. Every Maltese is their own, individual self and all are lovely in their way.
Enjoy her. ❤

1 - 16 of 16 Posts