Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog just got her menstruation or whatever you want to call it. Shes bleeding and her vagina is swollen. It looks like its buldging out. Shes 9 months old and this is the first time.

Im worried since shes so tiny. She weights only 3 pounds. Im not so sure what to d now....??????? My whole family is freaking out.

She is very sensitive to everything we do around her. Everyone is screaming in the house and shes scared. Im not sure is shes hurting or what????

What do i do now??? any suggestions???

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
can u call an emergency clinic to see if it is normal...is there a lot of blood? like is it pooling? was she bred w/ any animal?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
ask your vet if you can spay her tomorror or monday. sounds like a scary situation. i would hate to go through that. ihope everything works out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
DON'T PANIC!!!!! KEEP CALM!!!!! IT'S NORMAL!!!!

She's in heat...she was probably swollen for a few days, but once the dripping starts, it's very noticeable. What you can do until Monday-get a pair of SMALL underwear,(Preferably little boy underwear-size 2 or 4) and a mini pad. cut a tail hole...and put the underwear on her with the pad inside. (Toward the back where her vagina is) you'll have to remove it when she has to go to the bathroom but DON'T panic!!!

It's perfectly normal, and they may not spay her on monday-they may make you wait until her heat is over (could be about 2 weeks) Make sure she is not around ANY intact males!!! Keep her indoors or when you walk her, keep her on a close lead!!

The good news-once she's spayed, you'll never have to deal with this again!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just went to a dog store and got some pads. Its her first time so i quess its normail. The vet wont spay her untill 3 months after her first heat.

Thans for help

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
ANIA--I TOTALLY feel your pain. It can last up to 3 wks. My vet said it'll cost more if you spay them while they're in heat. I don't think I can tell you any more then what the others has said. It is normal and natural. Please keep her away from male dogs because they will go completely crazy around her. Take care and kisses for your baby

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the story:

For right now, i have 3 dogs in my house. Mini, frosty and mandy. Frosty is 14 months, mini is 7 months and many is 9 months.

Many is not spayed and she is not my dog so i cant really do anything with her. My cousin gave her to me to watch her while she does her constructions in her apartment. For right now shes leaving with her mym and unfortunatly, they cant have dogs there.

I got mini from the same breeder as mandy. I picked up both of the doggies, for me and for her. Mandy was 4 months and mini was 2. Shortly after she had the pup she had to give her to me because she was moving to her moms apartment and sadly they cant have dogs there.

She asked me if the dog can stay at my house while she gets her apartment ready. I agreed. Its been 5 months now and i still have the dog. I had her for more than she did!!!!!!!!!!! it wont be fair to give her away

This is the reason why i never spayed her. We love this dog and we dont want to give it back.

When my cousin gaved me the dog after a month of haviing her, she was all dirty, tangled, shaki very scared and looked sick. Very, very skiny. Now shes beautifull. Im afaraid that when i give her back, it will be the same thing all over. She has a young son who is 6 and i dont think he cares for her too much. I found pieces of chewing gum in her hair !!!!!! what does that tell you ?????

She doesnt give a s*** about this dog. She only calls once in a while to see hoe shes doing. How about a visit????

I tried not to get attached to mandy, but its too late. I tried not to even mention her in the forum, so i dont feel like its my dog.

I know one thing, once she takes that dog away from me, i will be crying like a little kid. I know this dog loves me the most of all my dogs?!? Shes always around me , she is always the one who goes to bed with me. All that makes it very hard . I keep telling my mom that i dont want to give her back, but she tells me that its not our dog and we cant do anything abut it.

Thans for listening guys.

It makes it bfeel much better

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Ania@Dec 12 2004, 09:38 AM
This is the story:

For right now, i have 3 dogs in my house. Mini, frosty and mandy. Frosty is 14 months, mini is 7 months and many is 9 months.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22249
[/QUOTE]

Oh gosh.... my heart breaks for you and your situation.

Could you buy the dog from your cousin... maybe even pay for it by the month or something? Can you tell her how attached you are to Mandy and how attached she is to you? Maybe she would give you Mandy for the cost of spaying her and you could get her spayed when Mini is spayed because Mandy will likely go in to heat soon if she hasn't already and there are health benefits to spaying before the first heat.

I just hate to think of Mandy going back to the situation at your cousin's apartment.....

The reason I mentioned about Frosty and asked if he was neutered is because you have a dog in heat in the house and from what I've heard, a non-neutered dog will do anything possible to get at a female in heat....

Keep us posted . . .

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Dec 12 2004, 09:55 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Ania
@Dec 12 2004, 09:38 AM
This is the story:

Oh gosh.... my heart breaks for you and your situation.

Could you buy the dog from your cousin... maybe even pay for it by the month or something? Can you tell her how attached you are to Mandy and how attached she is to you? Maybe she would give you Mandy for the cost of spaying her and you could get her spayed when Mini is spayed because Mandy will likely go in to heat soon if she hasn't already and there are health benefits to spaying before the first heat.

I just hate to think of Mandy going back to the situation at your cousin's apartment.....

The reason I mentioned about Frosty and asked if he was neutered is because you have a dog in heat in the house and from what I've heard, a non-neutered dog will do anything possible to get at a female in heat....

Keep us posted . . .
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22250
[/B][/QUOTE]
That's for sure and they'll olso mark their territory.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Ania@Dec 12 2004, 09:38 AM
This is the story:

Many is not spayed and she is not my dog so i cant really do anything with her. My cousin gave her to me to watch her while she does her constructions in her apartment. For right now shes leaving with her mym and unfortunatly,  they cant have dogs there.

I got mini from the same breeder as mandy. I picked up both of the doggies, for me and for her.  Mandy was 4 months and mini was 2. Shortly after she had the pup she had to give her to me because she was moving to her moms apartment  and sadly they cant have dogs there.

She asked me if the dog can stay at my house while she gets her apartment ready. I agreed. Its been 5 months now and i still have the dog. I had her for more than she did!!!!!!!!!!! it wont be fair to give her away 

This is the reason why i never spayed her.  We love this  dog and we dont want to give  it back.

When my cousin gaved me the dog after a month of haviing her, she was all dirty, tangled, shaki very scared and looked sick. Very, very skiny. Now shes beautifull. Im afaraid that when i give her back, it will be the same thing all over.  She has a young son who is 6 and i dont think he cares for her too much. I found pieces of chewing gum in her hair !!!!!! what does that tell you ?????

She doesnt give a s*** about this dog. She only calls once in a while to see hoe shes doing. How about a visit????

I tried not to get attached to mandy, but its too late. I tried not to even mention her in the forum, so i dont feel like its my dog.

I know one thing, once she takes that dog away from me, i will be crying like a little kid. I know this dog loves me the most of all my dogs?!? Shes always around me , she is always the one who goes to bed with me. All that makes it very hard . I keep telling my mom that i dont want to give her back, but she tells me that its not our dog and we cant do anything abut it.

Thans for listening guys.

It makes it bfeel much better

[/QUOTE]

That stinks and i would suggest to you to say to her that once she is able to have a dog she should get another one that the stay of this baby was longer than anticipated and that you are way to attached since you have been so kind and she really hasnt taking an interest i think its only fair that you keep her
maybe offer her a few dollars if it winds up being about the money to her
but i wouldnt be at all happy about giving her back after she has been with you this long
good luck

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ania, I think that if this were a child custody case you would win. You could make a case for the fact that Mandy has spent all this time with you and that you are the only parent she knows. And that her "owner" hasn't even bothered to visit (in this case, the owner would be the adoptive parent and you would be the foster parent--and you could make a case for the adoptive parent being neglecful and even endagering the pup due to her small size). Just a thought.

Why not suggest that you reimburse your cousin for the amount she paid for Mandy, and that if your cousin and her son want a dog when they move into their new place, that perhaps they get a breed that they find more appealing, since they obviously weren't interested in the little Maltese?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Ania--you know she's not attached to Mandy. Ask her if you can get her another one! Or pay for Mandy. You should lecture her butt on not taking good care of her, too.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish it was all that easy. I dont thin she wants to get rid of her. My mom tells me to let it go! I quess she doesnt want 3 dogs in the house.

My family is really strict, so its not like we fight....everyone respects one another.

My boyfriends family tells me to sue the h*** out of her because she deserves it. She was in a really bad condition when we got her. She's just way too delicate to go back to her house.

I think i will have a talk with my cousin today!

wish me luck

·
Registered
499 Posts
Please let us know how it goes. And get all those dogs neutered/spayed. I think I would put Mandy into rescue before I would give her back to the situation she came out of--family or not. Sorry--I get emotional with kids and animals. I am praying for you and Mnady, though.
Quincymom

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Keep us posted. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts