Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called down to the Emergency Vet, because Poppy stepped on a bee this morning. She said to watch him for swelling, trouble breathing, etc.

She also said to give him 1 ML of Benedryl per pound. That would be 5 ML's, which seems like way too much to me .... so I have given him 1 ML until I hear from somebody on here.

Would you give 5 ML's? They say on the box (Children's Benedryl) to give 5 to 10 ML's to children aged 6 to 10 years old .... which sure makes giving Poppy 5 ML's seem like way too much.

Help please!!!

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
I've given my dogs Benadryl in tablet form. For a 10 pound dog, the vets recommended 1/2 of a 25 milligram tablet. That seemed like a lot, too, but there were no bad results.

I've heard that dogs metabolize some things differently from humans--maybe that's why the dosage seems out of proportion.

·
Registered
219 Posts
IShe also said to give him 1 ML of Benedryl per pound. That would be 5 ML's, which seems like way too much to me .... so I have given him 1 ML until I hear from somebody on here.
Oh, I'm so sorry Poppy stepped on a bee. Ouch! As far as the Benedryl, if you're using the pediatric liquid form, it's in mililiters. The folks who are responding about the tablets are talking about miligrams, which is a different measurement. The OTC converter website is also talking about miligrams and tablet form. I'm not at all sure what the dosage would be in the pediatric liquid form. Maybe you could call your vet back and make sure she was talking about mililiters of pediatric liquid form and not miligrams of tablet form.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did call the Vet back to clarify, and did give him 5 ML of the Children's Benadryl. She said I should give the same amount in about 8 hours.

Thank you for your help guys!!

Poor Poppy. :huh:

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry Poppy stepped on a bee. Ouch! As far as the Benedryl, if you're using the pediatric liquid form, it's in mililiters. The folks who are responding about the tablets are talking about miligrams, which is a different measurement. The OTC converter website is also talking about miligrams and tablet form. I'm not at all sure what the dosage would be in the pediatric liquid form. Maybe you could call your vet back and make sure she was talking about mililiters of pediatric liquid form and not miligrams of tablet form.

Sorry that I had not realized that would be confusing. I'm so used to reading labels after caring for my ancient doggies for so long.

Anyway, for future reference, the label of a liquid drug ought to tell you how many MILLIGRAMS of the drug are in quantity of the liquid. 5 MILLILETERS are about a teaspoonful.

My over the counter liquid cough medicine, for example, says "Active ingredient (in each 5 mL teaspoonful) Dextromethorphan HBr,USP 15 mg ....")

On a prescription label, it might be expressed as "mg/mL"

Edited to add: I hope Poppy is doing better. :) One little dog I had years ago was horribly allergic to bee stings--but I didn't find out until after I'd had her for about 5 years! We used to live in a city apartment and hadn't had any close encounters with bees. And now I think I'll stock up on the liquid again. :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far so good. The Benadryl has made him very sleepy, so I took advantage and drove him around in his carrier for a few minutes. He hates being enclosed, and I need to get him used to it for our flight home in Dec. Plus, I needed to go get lunch and I don't want to let him out of my sight. Keeping my paws crossed that he will be okay.

Thanks everybody!! :wub:

HUGz! Jules

1 - 8 of 8 Posts