Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, Summer still having trouble with the potty training she goes on the pad when she's in her area but put her in any other room and she just goes where ever I talk to someone the other day and she said she trained her dogs (labs) in 2 weeks with the crate method I just hate to do it but we really need to get serious about this she goes most of the time when were in her space which is the laundryroom and exercise room with out me telling her to she knows where to go. any suggestions

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
You can buy puppy training spray from Petsmart that they are able to smell and it helps them to know where to potty. The brand we have is Simple Solutions, Potty Training Aid. It does not have a smell at all to humans, but Caesar can smell it. We just spray the middle of his pad with it. Also do you consistantly give her a treat when she pottys on the pad? This really helped with us, each time Caesar went on the pad, he got a honey nut cheerio. Hopefully this helps!
GOod luck!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
What worked for me was for a while Lacey was kept in a very small area. She wasn't aloud in the rest of the house until she had the potty issue down. Slowly by slowly she had more rooms she could go into to. She is trained to use the Wizdog and no matter where she is in the house she will go running to use it. Took a long time but she is fully housed trained. I can now get new carpet!!! For the first two months every 20 to 30 minutes I would put her on her pad...she got the hint real fast and she would pee so she could play and be with us. Sounds like a lot but in the long run it is well worth it.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you can try putting a wee wee pad in all the rooms. and then you can slowly move the wee wee pad from room A to the next room. and then eventually you'll have only 1 pad in the whole house.

OR you can just keep an eye on your dog. and when it looks like she needs to pee...distract her and make her go to the room with the wee wee pad.

training a big dog to go outside...is TOTALLY different from training a little dog--who's used to peeing inside.

i trained gruffi when he was 5 weeks old...and it took me 2 weeks to completely potty train him. ----and i never used a crate.

its all about consistancy. and if summer is getting confused when she's in another room---you're giving her too much freedom.

good luck!! and it's all about consistancy and patience.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
She has too much freedom. I like the crate method quite a bit and you can confine her to one room or an x-pen for longer periods when you can't watch her. Before you let her out in the house with you, take her to her papers and give her a treat for going there. If she hasn't gone, keep her confined or leashed to you. All mistakes mean you were not watching close enough to know she needed to go and you didn't get her to her papers fast enough. By not giving her the opportunity to make a mistake, you will speed up training. I like to go with my pup to the papers every time they have to go so I can reward them.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advise, I know its my fault when she has a accident And i realize now that she has to much freedom so we'll start my keeping her in her space when we can't watch her all the time. Because she does use the pads when she's in her rooms Will try treat too.. I try to be right there when she goes so I can phrase her
thanks
Summers gramie
Theresa

ps I also started feeding her 2x's a day but sometime I feel she's hungry in the afternoon so I give her alittle food today it was fresh turkey I know they say not to feed human food but boy does she LOVE IT

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Laceys mom@Apr 9 2005, 10:09 AM
What worked for me was for a while Lacey was kept in a very small area.  She wasn't aloud in the rest of the house until she had the potty issue down.  Slowly by slowly she had more rooms she could go into to.  She is trained to use the Wizdog and no matter where she is in the house she will go running to use it.  Took a long time but she is fully housed trained.  I can now get new carpet!!!  For the first two months every 20 to 30 minutes I would put her on her pad...she got the hint real fast and she would pee so she could play and be with us.  Sounds like a lot but in the long run it is well worth it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50847
[/QUOTE]
Hi Laceysmom What is a Wizdog?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Apr 9 2005, 11:36 AM
you can try putting a wee wee pad in all the rooms.  and then  you can slowly move the wee wee pad from room A to the next room.  and then eventually you'll have only 1 pad in the whole house. 

OR you can just keep an eye on your dog.  and when it looks like she needs to pee...distract her and make her go to the room with the wee wee pad. 

training a big dog to go outside...is TOTALLY different from training a little dog--who's used to peeing inside.

i trained gruffi when he was 5 weeks old...and it took me 2 weeks to completely potty train him.  ----and i never used a crate.

its all about consistancy.  and if summer is getting confused when she's in another room---you're giving her too much freedom. 

good luck!!  and it's all about consistancy and patience. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50857
[/QUOTE]
Thanks I know now that she does have to much freedom will cut down on area when we're not right there with her

1 - 8 of 8 Posts