Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can give me some kind of idea of what my lil Chloe has. Over the last couple of days, I've been feeling several small bumps on her skin. Mostly under and to the sides of her neck and also some on her body above her leg. Is it possible for her to have poison ivy or poison oak of some sort? It's hard to see them really well due to her hair, but you definiately can feel them.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Yes, I agree with the others. I see she is a rather young one, have the vet take a look at them. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I would check with the vet too. It could be poison ivy, oak or sumac or insect bites of some sort. I just had poison ivy a few weeks ago -- itched like crazy, thought it was a hive but then it got really nasty looking and went to a dermatologist. He said I had one of the above and as I traced back I got it from my friend's Jack Russell!! It was the only time I was outside the city and her dog was walking around the whole perimeter of the property and I was petting her. The doc says I'm very allergic to it and while others were fine I had a bad reaction. Still have breakouts and using steroid creams but I'm not contagious. Last time I had poison ivy was when I was a kid and got it from our poodles.:w00t:

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
can you post a pic here so maybe someone who has seen it before could recognize it as that might help until tomorrow when you can get to vet

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
It sounds like a possible ant attack. She may have stepped in an ant hill? Better have her checked out. :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will definitely call the vet tomorrow. Thanks to all of you for your advice and compasion.

I don't think it's red ants because she did indeed get into red ants but that was over a month ago and the bumps just started showing up a few days ago.

I'm thinking poison ivy but the only problem is I can't figure out where she could have rubbed against any.

She only had a couple of bumps a few days ago and now she's got a few patches of bumps.

I'll attempt to get a picture when she falls asleep, but the bumps are so hard to see due to her hair. I'm so scared the vet will have to shave these parts to look at the bumps.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Are the bumps red and oozing or just little bumps? I've never heard of a dog getting poison ivy, although they can carry the oil on their fur and transmit it to people. Been there, done that!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've seen tiny bumps on my malt and when I moved the hair they look like ingrown hairs almost like a blackhead. I can almost pick it out but haven't.
I think that may be my groomer nicked her while grooming her.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't really tell if they are oozing but she does scratch it and seems to like it when I scratch softly on the area.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a few more hours until the Vets office opens !!!! Please say a couple of prayers for my Chloe. The bumps/rash have multiplied! I wish I could get a picture to post, but she won't stay still long enough to move her hair around. The best way I can describe what they feel like is to imagine reading braile with all the dots being the bumps/rash. I don't think that she's in any pain but she does scratch the area more.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
It could be a minor skin infection. My Maltese had one a few months back and had at the same time, some little bumps under her chin/on her neck, when I took her into the Vet, he said sometimes dogs get 'blemishes', sort of like humans get. Since she had a mild skin infection on other areas of her body, he prescribed an antibiotic and ten days later it was gone.

Good luck at the Vet's. Let us know what he/she says.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Sending prayers and hoping that Chloe's okay and awaiting word from you after the vet visit. :grouphug:

·
Registered
268 Posts
aww...I hope chloe is doing alright and everything went well/mystery solved and solution identified at the vet. It's difficult to watch the little fluffs scratching themselves in irritation. I hope Chloe will find some relief soon!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts