Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help with excessive barking at the TV
Struggling with my almost year old Matese's excessive barking, especially at the TV. He barks at the TV all the time when I want to settle down with him at night and watch some TV. I work from home and am with him the whole day except for a couple of hours in which I have his nap time in a playpen in a separate room so he will have an easier adjustment for when I eventually have to leave him for work. He has no problem with this and naps or plays with his toys quietly. I like to watch TV at night to unwind and he used to settle down next to me on the couch but lately he has been barking and growling excessively at the sights and sounds on the TV, it used to be he would just bark when he saw an animal, now he does it much more often. Normally I would have my puppy go to daycare but due to the pandemic and the new variants I don't feel comfortable doing that so I play fetch with him every morning and walk him several times a day but lately he just won't settle down at night and barks excessively at the sounds and picture on the TV. Any advice? I tried one of the those bark collars that beep and vibrate and that used to help, but now it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Any suggestions? Has anyone else had these issues, did the pup eventually grow out of this? I had a Maltese before Milo that lived to be over 15 years old and he was the sweetest thing and I never had this problem with him.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,703 Posts
Our Kitzi ignores the TV completely---but Lisi is like your pup---she LOVES TV---knows all the commercials--which ones have dogs, etc. & she remembers them well. I usually let her bark & then call her back to me. She has cancer so we kind of let her enjoy what she enjoys so no real advice from me. I am not a TV fan---mostly catch news & weather & have it on as a background noise so am not so bothered by her barking. I hope someone else can help you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts