Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

my poor baby just absolutely HATES the ear drops (for his ear infection). He fights me and growls at me. It's very hard to get 4 drops in each ear. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it easier over the next 10 days?

Thanks!
Menachem's Mom

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
For the most part, my babies dont put up much of a fight. But they hate it too. Sometimes my bf helps. One would hold their head and mouth and the other would put the drops in. If they're on your lap, try giving them a treat to distract them and quickly squirt some drops in there ears.
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
At first chesley was fine , the second day she was all squarmy. So I gave her a treat after I applied the drops.

She was fine after that cause she new she would get a treat for being good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll keep trying. I just hate the growling and thrashing. Then he just wants to cuddle so I guess he can't hate me too much. The good news is,
his ear already looks MUCH better.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Menachem@Apr 8 2005, 11:13 AM
The good news is,
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50491
[/QUOTE]

That is great news!
Try praising him after you finish with one ear too! Let him know he's a good boy.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Menachem@Apr 8 2005, 12:13 PM
I'll keep trying.  I just hate the growling and thrashing. Then he just wants to cuddle so I guess he can't hate me too much.  The good news is,
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50491
[/QUOTE]

that's good, keep using the drops ever if you think it has cleared up. After the ten days make an appointment with the vet to check it again.
with chelsey it too 4 weeks to get rid of the infection but to me it looked fine., but the Vet was able to tell it was not better yet.

just keep giving treat , I like th idea with the penut butter.

right now I'm putting drops in chelsey eyes. She is really good with stying still, so long as she get a treat after... She loves food .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He growls and snaps so much when I even come close with the drops. I couldn't even get them in one of his ears last night. I think the vet traumatized him when he gave Menachem an ear culture. They wouldn't let me stay in the room when they did that. That has to be it - he is terrified of the drops. After that, he just wants to cuddle. It's horrible for me, and I am sure for him. I don't know what to do!!

I gave him peanut butter last night during the first ear but he refused to eat during the second because he knew what was coming. I have not tried the drops today - I am at a loss.

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
gruffi put up a fight when we tried eye drops. basically, get someone to help you. your dog is TINY...just hold him down and do it! i know he'll hate it...but hopefully he wont get another ear infection again. lol.

for gruffi, we would wait while he was calm, then have him lay on his side and my sister would be petting him. and i'd be like "im ready"(cus i would have the drops ready and opened, hiding it behind my back). and then cynthia would literally climb on top of gruffi and hold him down gently. and then i would come and hold his head down and then if he put up a fight...i would just hold him down more (i would definitely not hurt him though).

anyway, gruffi's a 65 lbs, and when he stands up...he's around 5'4".

your baby is a maltese....just put some muscle into it. you need to put the drops in his ears, you know?

good luck.
and GET A FRIEND TO HELP!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Just sit him up on the counter and have someone hold him if need be. Do one ear, treat, then the other. Just be matter of fact about it. He may be acting worse because you get upset and he feeds off you. By now his ears should not be hurting him so he has just gotten use to throwing a fit and found it often works to get you to leave him alone. If you have to, back him into a corner. I prefer to use treats but with some dogs a sharp "cut it out" gets there attention and they chill out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice everyone. This afternoon was much better. Hopefully tonight will go well too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts