Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. My puppy is 17 wks old, she came from the breeder with Iams Puppy chicken, had to be taken off it because of itching that she would open her skin, Then she was placed on california natural, didn't like it and had alot of itching, them she was placed on Solid Gold Just a WeeBit due to the main ingredients being bison and salmon. Well she was giving off a strange odor from her skin and was still itching. Called the company about the smaill they told me to stop immediately due to the odor it indicated a allergy, they themselves recommended Natural Balance duck and Pototoe. She seems to be doing better but doesn't like the food will not finish her plate.

I don't know what to turn to next. I called the speciallty food store and they said to stop by tomorrow and they will give me some samples of Eagle Pack Hollistic fish dry food? Has anyone had experience with this?????? Or does any one have a doggy that is allergic to lamb, chicken and bison.?????

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
She is awfully young to have food allergies presenting with skin problems. I would see the vet for a skin scraping to rule out mites and a ringworm culture. Has she been checked for fleas as well?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
MomtoMany,

I am so sorry your little one is having such problems...Teddy and I have been where you are. I figured out pretty soon after Teddy came home that he had food allergies. His little eyes would get bright red and he would become congested...he was so young also...only 8 weeks when I brought him home and not long after when I was able to associate food with it becoming worse. His eyes would always be red but they got brighter.

Anyway, Teddy is allergic to chicken and beef...and I found out very quickly that even foods that say lamb or bison also contain chicken products or beef products in some brands. I did lots and lots of research and decided that feeding Teddy naturally was the way for me to do this.

Number one I really beleive that it is more the added chemicals and growth hormones or antibiotics that they give these animals and not neccesarily the meat itself. Not sure on that one but it is a strong feeling. Anyway, I took Teddy off all chicken and beef...and in the begining he only got lamb and rice...he was so much better so quickly and it really hit home when a friend was over and dropped some of her chinese chicken on the floor...Teddy had it in a nanosecond and within minutes he was red and congested...proof that he was allergic if I ever needed any. Number two after the research I realized that I could do so much better and give him a natural diet that I could control and he would not be forced to eat kibble.

There are so many great websites and books that can help you and your little one. My first suggestion is get rid of all the processed food and cook for your little one if you are able...and only stick with a couple of things...once you find a veggie, a protien and potatoe(starch) that your little one can handle you can add other things and test them but only after you get rid of all the allegy effects going on now. Your little one may have to just be a vegeterian and yes this is possible in dogs...Cats would not do well with this but dogs do great as long as they have some form of protien...some veggies have protien. Also have you tried benadry at the advise of your vet.

If I can help you or answer any questions please don't hesitate...I too am still learning but Teddy is 11 months so I have been at it a bit. Good luck.

S

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 28 2005, 06:34 PM
She is awfully young to have food allergies presenting with skin problems. I would see the vet for a skin scraping to rule out mites and a ringworm culture. Has she been checked for fleas as well?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57762
[/QUOTE]

Yes, she doesn't have fleas he didn't do a ringworm culture, but she doesn't have mites. He is aware of the changes of food, and agrees with them. He suggested that we try a fish kibble and we would most likely have to try a vegetarian diet.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Natural Balance makes a venison and brown rice formula that Buster loves. Its for dogs with allergies. Also Lifes abundance make a good natural dog food but I think it has chicken in it. Their website is www.healthypetnet.com

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I am so sorry to hear your puppy has these problems! How frustrating.

I was just at my pet health food store and got the story of the owner. The reason he started his business was due to allergies and skin problems with his 9 yr old lhaso. He said that vet after vet after vet, and this dog could not handle a drop of water on her skin it was so bad. he said she had other things on the skin as JMM suggested also. I will have to ask again when I see him because it sounds so similar to what you are going through. I know he feeds his pooch evo innova and she is healthy now at 14. He seems to always lean towards that brand so he must like it for a reason. I'm sure you have to try all kinds until you figure out the allergy (if thats what it is) but maybe you want to put that on your list

1 - 7 of 7 Posts