Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

HELP WITH MATTS

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Chelsey 
#1 ·
Hi everyone:

Please help me . I'm going crazy with the matts. Pochy is 8 months old now and I never had such a problem with matts. I would find 1 or 2, but since tree weeks, he is matting terrible. This week I found 9 matts and I had to cut 5 or 6 because even using the liquid silk, it was impossible.

I have noticed such a drastic change in his coat, it is so dry and yesterday I found 4 more matts. This has never happened before. I'm going crazy. I have read that they go through a coat change around 8 to 12 months, is this true?

Please recommend me something, I'm using Pet Silk but so far I don't like it too much. His hair is silky on the ears, the chest and the legs, but near his tail it is cottony.

Is there any supplement that I can fed him? A pet shop owner recommend linatone which she said is good for the coat.

Please help, going crazy with the matts.

#2 ·
I think you figured out the problem yourself. Pouchy is probably losing his baby coat and his adult coat is coming in. This transition stage can cause terrible matting. You'll probly have to brush like crazy and live through this stage as best you can.

#3 ·
Originally posted by Marquela@Mar 3 2005, 08:23 AM
Hi everyone:

Please help me .  I'm going crazy with the matts.  Pochy is 8 months old now and I never had such a problem with matts.  I would find 1 or 2, but since tree weeks, he is matting terrible.  This week I found 9 matts and I had to cut 5 or 6 because even using the liquid silk, it was impossible.

I have noticed such a drastic change in his coat, it is so dry and yesterday I found  4 more matts.  This has never happened before.  I'm going crazy. I have read that they go through a coat change around 8 to 12 months, is this true?

Please recommend me something, I'm using Pet Silk but so far I don't like it too much.  His hair is silky on the ears, the chest and the legs, but near his tail it is cottony.

Is there any supplement that I can fed him? A pet shop owner recommend linatone which she said is good for the coat.

Please help, going crazy with the matts.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39508
[/QUOTE]

I have been told that cutting the mats will make it worse in the long run... that mats can be caused by having hair of different lengths in one area. I know sometimes it seems impossible to work out a mat but, unless it is what my groomer calls a "hard mat", you probably should keep trying to work it out... not fun I know....!

#4 ·
Pico went through that same bad matting stage around 6 months and we had him shaved out of desperation and at my vet's recommendation. Well, not really shaved down to the skin, but more like a buzz cut. He looked adorable! I haven't set up my web page yet or I'd post a picture of how tiny and cute he looked.

But I digress. Long story short, when his coat grew out the matting was drastically reduced and now, at 4 years (April 14) he rarely mats.

The recommendation to brush, brush , brush is good but be sure to use the detangler spray.

#5 ·
Hi , The only suggestion I have is Bless the Beast shampoo. Here is a toip on it already with lots of details.

DETANGLING SHAMPOO
No more matted tangles of fur that make you and your dog run from the brush. With my specially formulated Detangling Shampoo, fur will undergo an amazing transformation from matted to luxurious.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.
Also I rember I think someone said that the malts hair needs to be the same lenth or it will matt . Also make sure you are brushing from the base of the hair , not just over the top.

#6 ·
parker went through this stage at 8 months too. i was so glad when it was all over...but it took brushing often to help lessen the matts. good luck!

#7 ·
Originally posted by Chelsey@Mar 3 2005, 10:23 AM
Hi , The only suggestion I have is Bless the Beast shampoo. Here is a toip on it already with lots of details.

DETANGLING SHAMPOO
No more matted tangles of fur that make you and your dog run from the brush. With my specially formulated Detangling Shampoo, fur will undergo an amazing transformation from matted to luxurious.

Give it a try and see if it works for you. 
Also I rember I think someone  said that the malts hair needs to be the same lenth or it will matt .  Also make sure you are brushing from the base of the hair , not just over the top.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39532
[/QUOTE]

Where can I buy it?

#8 ·
QVC is having a sale on the 3 pack (detangling) that is the best price I've found and the shipping and handling is low, too.

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%...ass=&Submit4=Go

You can buy it directly from Bo Derek's website if you just want the shampoo, but the shipping is more plus it takes longer to get it. (They say 4 weeks, but I've heard it's not really that long)

QVC takes about a week, maybe less.

The fur pomade is great! I just got it and love it! I think Bo's website is out of it.

#9 ·
OMG thanks for this topic! Brit'ny NEVER mats, but the last two weeks she has been getting mats out of nowhere! i guess she is going through the same stage, I knew nothing about this! She is 10 months now so that sounds about right

Thanks LadysMom, I love you QVC gals, you guys get the best prices!

I will be ordering some TODAY!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.