Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
***Update: Lilly is doing great! Thank you for your help!

Lilly turns one next week and also is having luxating patella surgery on both knees. I just wanted to make sure the medications she has been prescribed are safe and good enough for the pain.
Here they are:
cefpodoxime proxetil (simplicef) 100mg 7 pills
Metacam
Gabepentin
Thank you for any input.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,875 Posts
Poor Lily. Hopefully someone who has more experience with the meds will jump in. Good luck with the surgery.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
The neurologist gave me gabapentin for my dog with luxating patella and said it is safe to use long term. I am supposed to give daily but I chose not to, only because I dont like to depend on drugs for them to get relief. You will be using short term so I would assume its safe enough. Metacam the same. The other drug I do not know.

Have you tried physical therapy to see if that would help the LP’s before surgery? I have one girl who went lame around 11 months from grade 4 luxating patella. With swim therapy and acupuncture, she has never needed the surgery. As long as I continue to exercise her, her muscles around her knee cap have basically built a cage and prevent the slipping.
Im waiting for an appointment with orthopedic for my other girl to see if swim therapy will help her before I consider the surgery, because that can cause awhole bunch of other issues later on.
Anyway, best of luck with her surgery.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear about your Lily with the patella. Poor baby, what a sweet photo too. My Cody actually just got off having a hard time with his patella I don’t know the grade but both knees slip out Very Easily. Cody is old though. Cedpodimine Cody was on once for some other issue and it was fantastic drug. Metacam so so but I never used it on him and gabapentin hmmmm that will make him real drowsy I believe. For the past two weeks Cody left leg patella went out for the entire two weeks limping on three legs poor guy. I had him on DasQuin... 1/2 pill everyday. It’s for the joints. No reaction either cause he has cancer too and it’s a supplement for joints. I gave the medicine to him everyday and today he is back to normal. Possibly try that it definitely helped took alittle while longer but it did the job! Hope you try it and your baby feels better!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

My poor baby! I hate this for her. Surgery was Monday. I stopped the Gabepentin Thursday morning. She seemed too sedated and wouldn’t go to the bathroom. Today, Friday she is more alert and wants to play with the puppy. This is going to be a long road! My happy playful never stop Lilly now just sleeps or lays in her bed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
View attachment 275428
My poor baby! I hate this for her. Surgery was Monday. I stopped the Gabepentin Thursday morning. She seemed too sedated and wouldn’t go to the bathroom. Today, Friday she is more alert and wants to play with the puppy. This is going to be a long road! My happy playful never stop Lilly now just sleeps or lays in her bed.
Sending🙏 & hugs for a quick and full recovery of your sweet baby girl.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Wow...that’s such a big surgery. I’m glad you posted these. It just made me realize this won’t be an option for my other girl who has LP.
I hope your baby recovers on schedule. How long will you have to keep her contained?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow...that’s such a big surgery. I’m glad you posted these. It just made me realize this won’t be an option for my other girl who has LP.
I hope your baby recovers on schedule. How long will you have to keep her contained?
Thank you. 6-12 weeks small space confinement.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Your poor baby, I feel for her.... I know gabapentin is really strong that’s why she sleeps. Your vet probably wants her alittle sedated so she can sleep off the pain and not walk on the leg. Sooooo sorry for your baby. It’s soooo hard for us to watch our babies in pain. Maybe you can ask for pain meds called torb. I forget the full name of it. When Cody’s patella went out she would give him that and he would sleep so the leg heals. I am not to fond of gabapentin.keep her warm too. So sorry for your baby I can’t wait until this passes for both of you and she feels better. Sending lots and lots of prayers for her. Dee

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,875 Posts
Poor baby, after surgery and with pain meds, they will want to sleep. Good luck.

Reactions: rosietoby

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your poor baby, I feel for her.... I know gabapentin is really strong that’s why she sleeps. Your vet probably wants her alittle sedated so she can sleep off the pain and not walk on the leg. Sooooo sorry for your baby. It’s soooo hard for us to watch our babies in pain. Maybe you can ask for pain meds called torb. I forget the full name of it. When Cody’s patella went out she would give him that and he would sleep so the leg heals. I am not to fond of gabapentin.keep her warm too. So sorry for your baby I can’t wait until this passes for both of you and she feels better. Sending lots and lots of prayers for her. Dee
Thank you

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
View attachment 275428
It's so hard seeing a sprightly pup sleeping so much. But it will pass and then she'll be happier.

Gentle hugs and wags,
Lainie and Whisper

1 - 14 of 14 Posts