Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP:smpullhair:

Sasha was perfectly pee pad trained and now all of a sudden she is having accidents. She is 11 months old.

Any advise?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Go to the vet. Female dogs are prone to urinary tract infections. You must rule this out first. Letting a UTI go can lead to kidney infections and serious illness. Nothing to mess around with.

If everything checks out, then just go back to the basics of potty training. If you need additional assistance with this just ask!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH MY I didn't know that!!!!! Thank you

How do you check for a urinary tract infection in dogs is it the same way as humans?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
All you need is a urine sample. You can either have her hold it for a few hours and let the vet get it or you can catch it yourself. You can suck it up off the back of a clean pee pad or go for a walk and catch it in a clean tupperware container.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently adopted an adult dog from the animal shelter and she is NOT potty trained. My other two dogs are, and I've trained several puppies, but this is the first time I've gotten an adult dog that obviously has never been indoors. I'm asking for help, not suggestions to take her to a trainer.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Hi Timbernee...hope this helps.

We foster and have had adults that were not trained.
I spend a couple of days staying every minute with the dog. Yep, every minute while dog is out of its crate. I hate to just stick them in a crate and leave them as they will never learn and I want them to interact with our dogs and us.
Every 1/2 hour I say "Potty out" and take doggy outside. If it goes potty I praise and praise...back inside ( use a leash inside ) and let him/her just be natural...sniff around, eat, play, sit on the couch etc but stay with them!
Back outside, back inside..on and on.
If you devote that time and energy you would be surprised how fast they learn and want to please. NEVER a harsh word or rubbing a nose in "it"
Hope you will invest the time.

·
Registered
574 Posts
HELP:smpullhair:

Sasha was perfectly pee pad trained and now all of a sudden she is having accidents. She is 11 months old.

Any advise?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Is she spayed? Is there any new additions/subtractions in your household? I agree with Jackie, get a U+ done on her...but it could be if she's not spayed, she's going into season and it could be stress.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You train an adult just as you would a baby puppy who has no idea what you want. The biggest difference is the adult has some behaviors that have already been ingrained. It can take more time and persistence to change these than the "blank slate" or a new pup. You've received great advice about constant supervision and going out with the dog to reward. If you can't watch the dog it is key to confine them to a safe area where they do not want to go potty. A crate, small pen, or small gated room may work depending on the dog. If the dog likes to potty on bedding you may have to remove all absorbent bedding for a while. Here's a good link:
House Training Puppies & Dogs. Easy Steps to Potty Training

1 - 8 of 8 Posts