Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have posted before about Sparkie and his severe skin allergys (that is what the vet said he had).
Well Skipper has started to have open sore type things and loose fur on his hind legs (he also perodically get something that looks like flea dirt, but I have asked the vet about and they just say it is flea dirt, but they do not have fleas unless they are invisible). I asked the vet about the skin and he just said it was probably a food allergy. So I thought ok.
Well now my other dog Miya is starting to experience the same problem, and is looseing fur on her hind legs and is starting to get some open sores.
All of the symptoms of Skipper are starting to look like what Sparkie has.

Can three dogs one being maybe a Bichon/Terrier mix, one being a Maltese/Schnauzer mix, and one being a Maltese all have the same symptoms just be allergies?

I am takeing Miya and Skipper to the vet tommrow what should I make sure they test for? I have looked online and see nothing that looks like this.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
If two dogs in your household have the same symptoms, I highly suspect a mite or ringworm. Ask your vet to do a skin scraping tomorrow.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
If all three are limited to the back legs I would guess allergies. ALthough it's not common for three dogs in a family to have the same allergies (and they may not be the SAME allergies) I'm sure it can happen. I would think mites or ringworm would spread other than hind quarters. I know a little yorkie who has an allergy and loses the hair on his back legs every year during the spring.
If there is flea dirt, there are fleas. You just might not be able to spot them if there aren't many.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With Skipper it has been going on for a few months, so wouldn't I have seen them by now? Because fleas multiply fast. I did not say it was flea dirt, the vet said it just looked like it. (the supposed flea dirt is always in a circle) Is's flea dirt just supposed to be everywhere?

If there is flea dirt, there are fleas. You just might not be able to spot them if there aren't many.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
If it was ringworm or mites wouldn't I have caught it by now?
I have seen ringworm, it is defantly not that.
What kind of mites could it be?
Mites are microscopic. You need a skin scraping to see them.

You've brought a lot of new pets into your home in a short time, haven't you? Pets from not-so-great conditions? They can bring in fleas or mites.

Do you use a monthly flea preventative?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
With Skipper it has been going on for a few months, so wouldn't I have seen them by now? Because fleas multiply fast. I did not say it was flea dirt, the vet said it just looked like it. (the supposed flea dirt is always in a circle) Is's flea dirt just supposed to be everywhere?
Flea dirt is not usually in a circle. At least the one I ever saw never was.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It's very easy to see if a brown speck is flea dirt. Wet a Q-tip and touch it. It will turn red if it is flea dirt as flea dirt is just digested blood.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
It actually sounds like fleas and hot spots caused by the fleas. You will see the specs of dirt before you see fleas. And you don't necessarily see flea dirt everywhere, just in certain places.

My Havanese had two hot spots before I realized he had fleas poor guy. He actually pulls his fur out in clumps when he has fleas.

I'd get every animal on flee prevention ASAP.
Trim the fur on and around the hot spots and keep them clean and dry.
Keep hot spots clean and dry
Keep hot spots clean and dry
Bath the dogs once a week to remove allergens and keep their skin clean to prevent future hot spots.

It's really important to keep the hot spots clean and dry, or they won't heal.

If the problem persists check for other worms or mites.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts