Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a product for a wavy coat. Mercedes has very thick hair and around her neck the hair is wavy and very soft. I ordered Quicker Slicker and coat handler shampoo and conditioner. I also sent and email to Theresa, I remember seeing Mercedes Mom and she had some waves in her coat. I was using the Dove Go Fresh but it makes her super fluffy. I have Pure Paws, Spa Lavish and CC products, they all work ok but I would like to try some more products.

Cathy

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Pepper's hair is wavy around her neck also......wonder why that is?

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Can anyone recommend a product for a wavy coat. Mercedes has very thick hair and around her neck the hair is wavy and very soft. I ordered Quicker Slicker and coat handler shampoo and conditioner. I also sent and email to Theresa, I remember seeing Mercedes Mom and she had some waves in her coat. I was using the Dove Go Fresh but it makes her super fluffy. I have Pure Paws, Spa Lavish and CC products, they all work ok but I would like to try some more products.

Cathy
Have you tried the PurePaws Oatmeal Shampoo and Oatmeal Conditioner in conjunction with the Silk? Leslie's (WoofLife) little Izzy had a curly coat, not wavy, and she's getting her coat straighter then she has ever been able to get her before using this combo. The Oatmeal is what is recommended over the Reconstructing and Ultra Moisturizing for the Malts with a curly coat that you are wanting to straighten.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried the PurePaws Oatmeal Shampoo and Oatmeal Conditioner in conjunction with the Silk? Leslie's (WoofLife) little Izzy had a curly coat, not wavy, and she's getting her coat straighter then she has ever been able to get her before using this combo. The Oatmeal is what is recommended over the Reconstructing and Ultra Moisturizing for the Malts with a curly coat that you are wanting to straighten.
I have not tried the Pure Paws Oatmeal shampoo, just the brightening shampoo. What is the Silk?

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
I have not tried the Pure Paws Oatmeal shampoo, just the brightening shampoo. What is the Silk?
I can see why you weren't overly impressed if all you are using is the Brightening Shampoo. When using the Brightening Shampoo, it's best to use the Oatmeal or Reconstructing Shampoo as the 2nd bath. To get the best results, follow the 3 bath formula both Ed & I have shared in the PurePaws Thread in the Vendor Section. I only do the 3 bath formula every 4-6 weeks. Otherwise, I just bathe with the Oatmeal or the Reconstructing and then condition using either the Oatmeal or Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner with the Ultra Silk Cream.

For Mercedes, this is what I would do:

Shampoo:
Oatmeal at a 50/50 dilution ratio.

Condition:
1 ounce Oatmeal Conditioner
1 ounce Ultra Silk
2-4 ounces of warm water. (You'll be able to determine if you want it weaker or stronger for next the next bath. When using previously mixed up conditioners, remember to warm it up first because all the conditioners are heat activated.

The longer you can allow the conditioners to set on the coat, the better the results. Sometimes I like to take a warm towel from the dryer and wrap them in that while the conditioner is setting. Remember to use tepid to cool water for the final rinse to seal the hair shaft.

Drying:
When the hair is almost dry while using your pin brush and stretch drying, spray a very light mist of the Ultra Shine Spray and finish drying. The Ultra Shine Spray protects the hair from heating elements and gives a nice shine to the coat. It's what I use for daily brushing and combing and is great as a detangler. I've gotten some pretty nasty matts out of customers dogs really easily with it.

The reason I really love the combination of the Oatmeal Conditioner with the Ultra Silk Cream is that they both do different things. The Oatmeal and Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner really is all you need if you don't want to add the Silk. But by adding the Silk, it gives the hair a glossy sheen and a wonderful texture. It also helps to get matts out if there are any before the bath. I really think the Silk in conjunction with the conditioners is perfect for the Maltese coat in giving it the texture, silkiness, sheen, and helps prevent both 'poufy-ness' and aides in getting a straighter coat. With a really curly coat, you need to use more of the Silk to get the hair to straighten.

Here are the links to all the products I'm suggesting fyi only. Not trying to be pushy, just helpful.:wub:

Pure Paws Oatmeal Shampoo
PurePaws Oatmeal Conditioner
PurePaws Ultra Silk Conditioner

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Yep - What Crystal said.

Izzy is more on the curly side, we think she might have some toy poodle in her somewhere :whistle:) Anyway, Her hair is much easier to work with and stays straiter now that I'm using the Pure Paws products. I'm growing her out into the lamb cut now :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Try the flat iron before buying anymore shampoos/condidtioners you may not need. Many show dogs don't have that flawless straight coat- only with flat ironing does it look that way! (yes, my own dogs resemble that remark!)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Stacy isn't kidding----all the Malt owners/handlers have a brush in one hand and a flat iron in the other at every show. Seriously.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do flat iron her coat, I have a hard time around her neck and legs. Jackie had suggested a smaller flat iron so I think I will go to Sally's Monday. She really has a beautiful coat, super thick and soft. I am anxious to try the Quicker Slicker and flat iron.

Cathy

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When ironing closer to the skin keep a metal comb between the skin and the iron for safety.
Another thing to do is dry the wavy area first after bathing.
Thanks Jackie, I know part of my problem is I am afraid I may burn her. I will dry the wavy first. I just got a email from Theresa and she said basically the same, dry the neck and back first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts