Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bubbles is SHEDDING really bad... to the point where you can see a BALD spot on her back. She has never shed before, she is 3 y/o. You can basically see patches and patches of bald spot on her!
Background: She was vomiting and having soft stool a week ago and she was lethargic. So, the vet gave us sucralfate and sulfasalazine for her. He told us to gave it to her 2X DAY for 4 days, I only gave it to her for 2 days because she was getting better. Then she started shedding... she is normal again, very active BUT she's just shedding too much. You can just pet her and get a huge fur ball from it! Nothing change in her diet aside from the shampoo that I'm using (a tearless one). The only thing that I can think of... is before all of this happened. She played in the backyard with the kids for about 45 minutes which we never do since we keep her as an indoor dog. She always have been healthy with perfect coat, she only eat organic food and everything. PLEASE HELP!!! I will take her to the vet on Monday if I can get an appointment. I just want to know if anyone has experienced this before with their angel. PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Could she be allergic to something outside that caused this reaction? I'm not an expert but this is the first thing that comes to mind. Maybe she ate something outside she was allergic to and her body is still reacting. I hope you find out what it is soon! Keep us updated!

·
Premium Member
13,437 Posts
Sorry to hear this , my first thought would be to call the vet, maybe they have an on call vet /answering service and will call you back so you can let them know what's happening.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Maltese have hair like humans, not fur like most other dogs and they do not shed other than a few strands here and there. Something is definitely wrong if you are petting her and clumps are coming out. Either a reaction to the medications, or something possibly more serious. I would take her back in to the vet right away.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
If she's not scratching I would have some blood work done and have her thyroid checked.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for the responses! Unfortunately, we are stationed here in Japan, our vet clinic on base is close on the weekends. Hopefully, it's only an allergy... not a serious illness.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,937 Posts
I just looked up the meds you mentioned. Neither of them listed hair falling out as a side effect. I'd watch her closely and take her in Monday for sure. Even if you have to go and sit in the office until they see you I'd be sure to go Monday. I'll keep Bubbles in my prayers until we get an update from you. She's adorable.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Bubbles is SHEDDING really bad... to the point where you can see a BALD spot on her back. She has never shed before, she is 3 y/o. You can basically see patches and patches of bald spot on her!
Background: She was vomiting and having soft stool a week ago and she was lethargic. So, the vet gave us sucralfate and sulfasalazine for her. He told us to gave it to her 2X DAY for 4 days, I only gave it to her for 2 days because she was getting better. Then she started shedding... she is normal again, very active BUT she's just shedding too much. You can just pet her and get a huge fur ball from it! Nothing change in her diet aside from the shampoo that I'm using (a tearless one). The only thing that I can think of... is before all of this happened. She played in the backyard with the kids for about 45 minutes which we never do since we keep her as an indoor dog. She always have been healthy with perfect coat, she only eat organic food and everything. PLEASE HELP!!! I will take her to the vet on Monday if I can get an appointment. I just want to know if anyone has experienced this before with their angel. PLEASE HELP!!!

I reread your first post,if she was on sucralfate and sulfasalazine, I'm surprised he didn't have her on it for atleast a week to 9 days, 4 days wasn't long enough.

Amber was on it for almost two weeks,then he did blood work,waited a week and put her on for 4 more days. We had to make sure she drank plenty of water to keep it from crystalizing in her urine. I'd take her back to the vet.
It takes a while for the meds to work. You don't see rescults quickly.It doesn't kill coccidia ,it keeps them from reproducing and eventually they die off as they don't have a long lifecycle. The hair loss is a symptom from the coccidia,not the meds...
It takes about 3 weeks for them to die off,so she will shed for a while afterwards but it will become less.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts