Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Only three more weeks until baby Zoe can finally come home:D. It is about a five to six hour car drive (depending on traffic) from the breeder's house to mine. :wacko:
We bought her a hard kennel crate, a purse carrier, and a car seat for dogs that is like this padded nylon basket that straps around the back of the regular car seat's headrest. The car seat is like a little elevated perch so that she can see out the window and it also has a hook so that you can attach her harness or whatever to it so there is no jumping/falling out.
Anyway, I don't want her to have a negative experience when she makes this long car ride home because I want the car (along with the car seat) to be something positive so that I can travel with her often. When I am taking her home should I just leave her in the hard crate buckled in and wait to introduce her to the car seat? I don't want her to get car sick and I feel like that could happen if she was in the crate which will be buckled in on the seat. Also, is it okay to take her out and hold her?
I know that a lot of you probably had to make a car trip of considerable distance to bring your babies home so I would be interested as to what you all did? I just want to do everything right
!
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
for Parker it was only an hour drive and I had a friend w/ me who held him. now at 1 yr old i have a car seat for him (sounds like the one you have) he had only a problem with it the first day now he doesnt mind it at all. the pup will prob be too small to see out the car seat, and will sleep most of the way anyway, so I would just put her in the carrier, and you can work on the positive car experiences later. congrats! :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My boyfriend will be driving so I will be able to spend time with Zoe and comfort her on the ride home. That's a good point about her being too small to see out the car seat anyway. I guess I will just keep her in her crate and then maybe sneak some cuddle time in along the way.

How often do you think we will have to stop to let her go potty? We are taking potty pads, should we put them down outside and let her go or pull over and put her in the trunk with the pads so she can go? I don't really know what to do about this. :wacko:
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'd stop every hour or so because she is a puppy and has a small bladder.

It was a 3.5 hour drive to get Casper. I had toys, his bed, crate, everything in the backseat for him to use on the ride home. Instead he was in my lap fast asleep. :lol:

Make sure to get Nutrical!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts